Krav Maga and Systema self defense training.

This is a discussion on Krav Maga and Systema self defense training. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont have too much time,so i will relate my experience sometime later,but right now i would like anyone else to tell me about any ...

I dont have too much time,so i will relate my experience sometime later,but right now i would like anyone else to tell me about any experience they have with Russian Systema,and how it compares to Krav Maga.I took the full Krav Maga training program and go to a class about once a month.Im thinking of learning Systema but dont have much information on it,particularly 1st hand experience from someone.

Systema is a mixed bag. It really comes down to the quality of the instructor(s), as with any martial art. Curiously, Systema is somewhat closely aligned with soft-style Asian martial arts like tai chi and ba gua. It employs the same kinds of joint locks, energy blending, weapon use and defense, and soft strikes (which can be devastating). Although it is older than Spetznaz training, it was the Soviet commandos who further refined it. Like Kyokushinkai karate, it emphasis real-world applications and attack-and-defense from any position and situation.

Also, like other internal martial arts, Systema employs concepts about wellness, health, and positive thinking, while requiring total relaxation on the part of the practitioner. There are several members of this board who advocate a self-defense mentality that demands a complete "red-rage" response, of all-out ruthless aggression. That works for those who follow that style, but Systema-type arts are ineffective when tension is present because they depend on specialized movements that work in a flowing manner.

For all the above reasons, I would recommend that Systema be approached as an add-on art to be learned on top of a hard style, like Western boxing or karate, because some foundation of hard-style technique is a base level of skill needed, and hard styles can be mastered relatively quickly. Most internal arts (I'd say all of them, but you never know), take a long time to learn and Systema probably won't be useful without at least 10 years of study. Take Krav Maga or similar first, then explore Systema if you can find a quality school.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have some of the Systema videos from TRS when I was adding extra things back then to the stuff I have learned then (JKD/FMA/Muay Thai). Remember, this was before I added jujitsu and RBSD combatives to my arsenal. And from looking at the Systema videos, too many techniques but again, you use depending on your attributes. And half of their techniques are very risky and the practitioners are telegraphing their moves, not attacking at full speed. And it is also somewhat difficult to transition to that different approach when one is already used to what he/she learned before. Again, not knocking it but it's just not for me. I prefer a more simple, direct approach and Krav has that. So I am planning to take and add Krav someday to my martial arts/RBSD/firearms/military law enforcement and security/military corrections background.

2 very highlighted problems indeed.I knew Systema has a certain mental state,but it is so much different then the simple,hard attacks from Krav Maga.Im unsure if it would be good to add that in with Systema,as the differences might confuse me if i need to act.

Also,i cant find a list of Systema schools anywhere,so that would be helpful if someone has that.

I can add a bit to this,and it's just my opinion. I studied the F.I.G.H.T. program for a couple of years. Not true Krav Maga but based on it. Recently, i have been "playing" with Systema. To me the one commonality they share, they are really designed to be done cold. Meaning you do not need a "warm-up" session before blowing full tilt into it. Both systems though do a conditioning session before training.The breathing and conditioning for Systema is very fluid, and i always feel much better when completing a session. My little group of training buddies always get a few weird looks when we get together in one of our local parks to"play" and if someone asks, they usually mistake what we're doing as Tai-Chi. However when we are doing the Israeli stuff, everyone knows what we are doing, or they think we are MMA training.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Also,i cant find a list of Systema schools anywhere,so that would be helpful if someone has that.
    There should be a website on Systema, although it has been a long time since I went into one. They should be able to refer you to the nearest school in your area. Perhaps, the one on the old Systema TRS videos I still have, Vladimir Vasiliev, has a Systema school in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He also sometimes travel to do Systema seminars around the world along with his mentor/instructor Mikhail Ryabko. There is also another Russian martial arts instructor, Scott Sonnon, who is an American. But he calls his program "ROSS" and he seems more questionable to me than Vlad. Other than that, those are the 3 I have heard of.

Go into google search and type in Russian Martial Art.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Links