IDPA questions

This is a discussion on IDPA questions within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attended my first IDPA match as a spectator this weekend. WOW, what fun! I will be starting IDPA competition soon with my Kimber TLE ...

Thread: IDPA questions

IDPA questions

I attended my first IDPA match as a spectator this weekend. WOW, what fun! I will be starting IDPA competition soon with my Kimber TLE in CDP. I have two questions:

1. I have on order a new Milt Sparks rig consisting of a belt, dual mag carrier, and Versa Max II for the Kimber. I usually wear my CCW at about 4 o’clock. Is this still legal or do I need to wear it at 3 o’clock for safety reasons?

2. What kind of cover garment do people generally use? Right now I carry a Glock G30 in a Comp Tac C-TAC and can conceal with just a T-shirt (6’5” 240lbs.) Can I still use this or do I need to get one of those fancy vests I saw everyone wearing? I can see the benefit because you can take it off between rounds (Texas heat ) and have lots of pockets for stuff, plus it gives me a chance to buy something else gun-related! Also, who makes a nice reasonably-priced vest?

Thanks!
    Hoss
    "from my cold, dead hands!"

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC your rig and mag holders must be at or behind waist mid line so 4 o'clock probably OK - may depend tho on RSO's interpretation as well.

Cover garment can be about any - cover garment! Vests are probably most ideal - and if you check thru search you'll find plenty of threads covering these. Also a loose unbuttoned lightweight shirt would suffice IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1. I have on order a new Milt Sparks rig consisting of a belt, dual mag carrier, and Versa Max II for the Kimber. I usually wear my CCW at about 4 o’clock. Is this still legal or do I need to wear it at 3 o’clock for safety reasons?

What ever is comfortable for you !!!

2. What kind of cover garment do people generally use? Right now I carry a Glock G30 in a Comp Tac C-TAC and can conceal with just a T-shirt (6’5” 240lbs.) Can I still use this or do I need to get one of those fancy vests I saw everyone wearing? I can see the benefit because you can take it off between rounds (Texas heat ) and have lots of pockets for stuff, plus it gives me a chance to buy something else gun-related! Also, who makes a nice reasonably-priced vest?

What ever is comfortable for you !!!
    Last edited by kansas_shooter; July 5th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Thanks guys.

kansas_shooter, I think you misunderstood my question. The legality of the holster is not in question. I know it is legal. But the rule book does not say where it must be worn, that is my question. Same thing with the vests. I know what is and what is not legal, just asking opinions on what other people use. Thanks!
    Hoss

Assistant Administrator
    KS Shooter - good job - I was too pressed for time earlier to make much contribution.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95, Thanks. But I went back and changed my post to more suit what he was asking for. Thanks
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

kansas_shooter, thanks. The second question is purely opinion. But the first is not. I just got an e-mail back from one of the match directors and he said I would have to wear it at 3 o'clock to comply with their safety rules. Now I need some bigger pants! :)
    Hoss

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss
    But the rule book does not say where it must be worn, that is my question. Same thing with the vests. I know what is and what is not legal, just asking opinions on what other people use. Thanks!
    IMHO IDPA headquarters mad a bad job with the last Rulebook and left a whole bunch of stuff out or is set in a way that lends to confussion. For what I have seen in sponsored matches, a combination of the old rulebook and the current is the most suited answer.
    Old rulebook
    The holster must position the pistol so the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body from a side view and all magazines and magazine carriers for pistols must be positioned behind the centerline. Revolver ammunition carriers may be worn directly in front of the holster on the strong side. The seam on the side of a shooter’s pants may or may not indicate where the centerline of a shooter’s body is located. If you can conceal your pistol/holster/ammunition carriers with a light windbreaker and comfortably draw your pistol while seated in an automobile with bucket seats, your equipment is probably okay.

New rulebook
    The seam on the side of a shooter’s pants may or may
    not indicate where the centerline of a shooter’s body is located.
    For IDPA purposes, the centerline of the body originates in the
    center of the armpit and goes straight down.
    Now, the safety question that arises when a gun is set way back is muzzle sweeps to the SO or spectators and that is why we don't like way-back-there holstered weapons. But if you position your gun between 3 and 3:30 no SO should give you problems.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good info. Thanks
    One shot. One kill.

Miggy, thanks for the clarification.
    Hoss

and the next decisions are, do we gear up differently for the match than for our daily ccw? I am relatively new to IDPA, but I cannot see training in any configuration that is not my CCW configuration. That would be holster, gun, mags and concealment.

I know of some who gear up differently for IDPA to improve their times. I try to improve my times, but will not do so if it means using a different configuration for IDPA than CCW.

What say ye?

sojourner, I agree with you. Part of the reason for my questions were because I wanted to compete and train with exactly the set-up I use daily. I asked one guy out there I was talking with, and he originally said they do not allow IWB holsters (which obviously is incorrect). So that is where part of the original debate over holster position came from. As far as the vest, I could see myself wearing one daily, but wanted to ask the question of what others were doing. Once I get my Milt Sparks rig I will put everything on and see if I can still conceal with just a t-shirt. If so, I will probably stay with that. I am not too overly concerned with times relating to others, just times for myself. I want to get proficient with my set-up.
    Hoss

Looks like the gun position on the belt has been answered, so I'll jump to the vest part. I've been using a BDU shirt with the sleeves cut off. I got it my a buddy of mine in the Air Force. It works out great. Lot's of people use the 5.11 vest, and I've heard good things about those. I've also heard that the Woolrich Elite vests are very nice.

If you can conceal your gun with just your t-shirt, then that's all you need for IDPA matches. Have fun. I got hooked shooting IDPA about 3 years ago.

ezterra, thanks.

I think I have decided I will use two set-ups for IDPA. The first will be a t-shirt over an Under Armour-type undershirt. The second will be an button-down short sleeve style shirt (open or buttoned) over an Under Armour-type undershirt. These set-ups are what I will carry with 95% of the time. Thanks for all the advice guys!
    Hoss

Links