Tap, rack...?

This is a discussion on Tap, rack...? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just returned from a 4-day defensive handgun class at Front Sight. The days were jammed-packed with info and range time...almost too much to absorb. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap, rack...?

Tap, rack...?

I just returned from a 4-day defensive handgun class at Front Sight.
    The days were jammed-packed with info and range time...almost too much to absorb. Very challenging.
    Anyway, in their malfunction drills they are teaching "tap, rack, flip" instead of "tap, rack, bang"... arguing that that sequence may result in a round down range that the situation no longer warrants.
    They describe a case where a LEO using the 'tap, rack, bang' method shot someone he shouldn't have simply because of the training ingrained in him.
    Thoughts? Comments?
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't understand the "flip" part. What does that step involve?? Is that like a tactical middle finger at your enemy? please explain.

This 'flip' simply refers to rotating the gun to the right so that the ejection port is facing downward...to more easily/efficiently clear the hung-up round.
    It's done more or less simultaneous with the 'rack'.

One would expect some modicum of cerebral intervention befor an arbitrary discharge.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    One would expect some modicum of cerebral intervention befor an arbitrary discharge.
    Yuh. I've never treated the TRB as an automatic round down range. That's like thinking that I don't stop shooting until the magazine is empty.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    is there some sort of disconnect when clearing the weapon that prevents the operator from confirming his target before actually pulling the trigger?...the way i was taught you contuinue to scan downrange while clearing in order to follow the action....

possibly an award winning post in literary circles...well done sir...

VIP Member
    Ok so if I am understanding this right you tap the magazine, rack the slide while rotating the gun towards the ground to ease in clearing the malfunction? This would not prevent the Tap, Rack, Bang oops I shot the wrong guy scenario. It also seems that depending on how you are racking the slide it would require you to do some sort of weird crossover to get the weapon orientated.

The correct/preferred method of chambering a round or racking the slide is reaching over the top of the firearm and grabbing the rear portion of the slide, pulling back and releasing the slide to get full effect of the recoil spring I am sitting here trying to manipulate my weapon as described and you lose sight of the chamber and end up rotating the weapon back up to observe it anyways.
    Tap, Rack, Bang has long been replaced with Tap, Rack, Back as in back on target. You should always assess and reassess after an engagement to avoid the situation mentioned. You must determine if your shots were effective on the target if so you go back to a ready position if not you reengage the target.

I personally cannot think of a malfunction that this would aid in clearing but maybe I am missing something. I am not a fan of Front Sight and I am trying to keep an open mind but sounds like they are trying to make up something to call their own whether it works in real life or not. Please if I am missing something in regards to the technique let me know.
    Glad you enjoyed the training.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Obviously. So how did the 'bang' ever become part of the drill to begin with?
    Was it simply an act of celebration for a successful clearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Obviously. So how did the 'bang' ever become part of the drill to begin with?
    Was it simply an act of celebration for a successful clearing?
    no it was the continuation of the gun battle or practice after the jam was cleared...you cleared the gun and were able to fire it...hence "bang"...unfortunately...as with everything else...if the term "confirm your target" isnt involved there will be an operator somewhere who will inevitably just go directly to "bang" without passing go or collecting $200 and find a way to make someone have to change the terminology of the drill....

tacman... I like the 'tap, rack, back' thing. That's what we were taught, with the addition of the 90 degree flip to the right.
    My understanding is that with the ejection port facing downward, gravity would have free reign from beginning to end in clearing the round/casing.
    You have to pardon me, I'm fairly new to all this.

It's always "Tap, Rack, Reassess" in my classes.

I seem to recall reading of vertical or right tilting orientation on malfunction clearing for pistols with relatively small ejection ports, unlike the Beretta , to aid in preventing the ejected casing from settling back into the port, thereby further obstructing operation of the pistol. How valid this consideration is, is questionable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It's situation dependent....the methodology of the "tap, rack, bang" is to get the gun back in the fight--that is, when you are actively shooting.... That doesn't mean you don't re-assess constantly. It seems to me someone it trying to put their 2 cents on a tried and true technique. Coulda, woulda, shoulda..."my technique it better because it will force you to stop shooting just in case a bus full of nuns drives through the gun fight..."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

See, this is why Im left handed! The ejection port always faces down when I rack the slide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links