How do YOU train during your range time?

This is a discussion on How do YOU train during your range time? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Different things.Sometimes i focus on just a couple things,or do alot of each methods i practice.1 thing i love doing is drawing and firing as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU train during your range time?

Different things.Sometimes i focus on just a couple things,or do alot of each methods i practice.1 thing i love doing is drawing and firing as fast as i can.I barely even sight the target.Other things i do: Firing from the hip,arms tucked into chest,firing with my arm held over my head.Then really long range stuff thats kinda hard with a pistol.100 yards or so.

2. Remove Ads

None of the ranges I frequent allow anything more than just standing & shooting......As a rule I shoot 3-400rds. every time I go to the range, generally twice a week.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

^^ same. My local range doesn't really allow much in the way of "training." I mostly just try to work on trigger control, sight alignement, etc. The basics, really. No holster draw allowed, and nothing faster than one shot per second.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Different things.Sometimes i focus on just a couple things,or do a lot of each methods i practice.1 thing i love doing is drawing and firing as fast as i can.I barely even sight the target.Other things i do: Firing from the hip,arms tucked into chest,firing with my arm held over my head.Then really long range stuff thats kinda hard with a pistol.100 yards or so.
    Same here like you. Even though the range policy do not allow firing from a holster, I can still fire my pistol from the Weaver Ready or from Ready Sul. As for my shotgun/rifle, the range allows us to fire from any sling position as long as the range is hot. For the pistol, we can also carry in our holster while the range is hot but we are not allowed to draw and fire as part of their range policy. It stinks but this is the only shooting range in my locality that allows me to do rapid combat firing from different postions as well as being able to sling our long guns and pointing then in any direction as long as it is not at the others' direction.
    As far as the shooters go at our range, a majority prefer to shoot from a table or benchrest while very few (I, being among those) prefer to shoot standing or on the ground (with a shooting mat, of course). Sometimes I get some looks from the others that think I am some sort of Maverick. Then again, it's all about me and I don't worry about what some of the others think. For some out there that train realistically or try to do so, do you get some looks from the others at the range as well? I sometimes get confused for a cop, contractor, or soldier.

Yes,i have gotten crap even from people who CC.The usual comment: "You know,you would be more accurate if you took time to aim" The answer i give: "When your being shot at,you dont have time to aim."

Yes,we all need to train for accuracy.But sometimes you need to train for special occasions ahead of time,when you have the luxury of not being shot at.

I feel the need to clarify.Even though i would not give out the range i go to sometimes,i like to drive into North Georgia and see some old friends.Get out in the pasture.Thats our range.No rules besides 'dont kill anyone'.99 percent of all ranges are like that.Too many rules.Yes,that sounds like im ignorant,but you cant get any real range training at a place like that.

Actual range time is only a small part of my overall training regiment so when I'm on the range I want to be running the gun and doing realistic shooting that builds on the work I put in at home.

IMHO gas airsoft pistols are great training aid as they allow for holster work at home. One of the skill sets that is often overlooked by many is the lighting fast draw which also should be incorporated with non-telegraphed dynamic movement and/or distraction techniques.

I use my airsoft pistol to practice the fundamentals of shooting and other things such as my draw and movement. I do in my garage several times a week.

I also attend both traditional and non traditional martial art classes several times a week to maintain and/or build on my H2H skills.

My actual range time I use to run the gun and applying what I have been working on with my airsoft. I also spend time working on carbine and shotgun skills with pistol transitions thrown in.

You have to use your equipment in the manner it is intended to know your equipment and yourself or it is just theory.

IMHO, the proving ground for putting ones preparation to the test is with realistic scenario based Force on Force training. When the stress get turned up, you can quickly see the areas that have been neglected and need work. The other thing FoF brings out is the use of decision making skills. Does the student use the appropriate technique(s) and tactics to solve the problem.

IMHO force on force is more about decision making skills,the correct use of the appropriate tactic and techniques to solve the problem, then it is for the actual shooting. With that said, a properly run FoF event will test both the decision making skills and the student ability to apply the techniques and tactics as well as running the gun. It is only a matter of where and when.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Limited by range rules also, cannot draw from holster, no "rapid" fire, no movement. I have moved to dry fire training at home, I use a Laserlyte trainer, a pretty neat gadget. I have been learning point shooting and have found it to be invaluable, plus it pays for itself in ammo savings quickly. My basement is about 35' so I can practice at several distances.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Limited by range rules also, cannot draw from holster, no "rapid" fire, no movement. I have moved to dry fire training at home, I use a Laserlyte trainer, a pretty neat gadget. I have been learning point shooting and have found it to be invaluable, plus it pays for itself in ammo savings quickly. My basement is about 35' so I can practice at several distances.
    How exactly does this work?

-Will Rogers

I have property behind my house that I can setup mutiple targets at varying distances to practice draw and engagement. I consider myself very fortunate considering some of the stories that I hear from shooting ranges with people lacking gun safety skills.

I am lucky, I am always able to go to the range with a great training partner (my wife).
    We have set drills that we do, average of 50-100 rounds per range session. The drills change but they include; the draw-stroke (with movement, even if it might only be a sidestep or two), one-handed & weak handed drills, reload drills, failure to stop drills, malfunction clearance drills, shooting from cover, and some other variations. We currently go to the range every other Monday.

We also have a dry fire routine that we do 2x each week.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I'm also at a range where movement & any kind of drawing from a holster will not fly, but my state doesn't permit CCW and my instructor actually pointed me towads a drill that makes more sense for me anyway.

Since I can't ccw, I would most likely be fetching my loaded handgun from a safe in an emergency. To train for this, I've been starting my strings by placing the loaded handgun on the table with it facing a safe direction. I then step away from the table and start the string by briskly walking up to the table and picking up the gun in as smooth & stable a manner as possible, then acquiring my sight picture & firing.

When the range starts to thin out for winter I might get a few buddies in on the drill and we'll integrate some exercises before approaching the table to simulate the adrenaline pump somewhat. Something like kettlebell work to help mimic feeling fatigued & shakey arms/shoulders when trying to respond to a critical situation. Would have a buddy as backup to make sure the firearm & person is always under control & facing the right direction.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    our local range allows rapid fire the second and fourth thursday and sunday of every month after 2 pm...thats where my rapid fire point shooting is practiced in the square box...

after idpa events i ask to have a few targets left up and i practice movement drills along with draw and hip shooting at close distances...

i practice with airsoft in the backyard and garage...everything goes with the airsoft...and my neighbors get a kick out of it also....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    our local range allows rapid fire the second and fourth thursday and sunday of every month after 2 pm...thats where my rapid fire point shooting is practiced in the square box...

after idpa events i ask to have a few targets left up and i practice movement drills along with draw and hip shooting at close distances...

i practice with airsoft in the backyard and garage...everything goes with the airsoft...and my neighbors get a kick out of it also....
    I have been looking into various airsoft pistols & don't know what is good....any suggestions??

-Will Rogers

I had no idea how lucky I was to have a great range so close to me. I see an instructor every other month and use the time between classes to work on what we worked on in the last class. Always make sure we work on malfunction drills no matter what we are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    For me, the first mag is always my fun mag, I shoot for the fun of shooting and don't sweat the hits and misses no matter what the rest of the time at the range if for.

After that, I work on drills and malfunctions as required.
    I agree 100%!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links