How do YOU train during your range time?

This is a discussion on How do YOU train during your range time? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Observing most shooters at the local range, they seem to go through a lot of ammo and make holes in paper. What is your routine ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU train during your range time?

Observing most shooters at the local range, they seem to go through a lot of ammo and make holes in paper. What is your routine if it is any different?

For example, I work on a specific skill each day. I may only go through 100 rounds maximum for a 1 hour session. Is that a lot of rounds or very little?

I setup one target. I work moving laterally and backwards using a number of different scenarios as I run and gun. Then I set up two or three targets and do the same thing. I set my shot timer to go off randomly so I just walk as I would on the street towards the targets until it goes off then I react and begin firing. I also practice reloads, and looking for cover/concealment and firing from that. Usually 250 rounds per session and I do this 3-4X a month sometimes more if time permits. When I am not live firing my friends and I beat the living crap out of each other in airsoft force on force training and because we are friends we get rougher than usual. It is a real eye opener

I gave up punching paper years ago when I had my first real self defense situation and realized standing still almost got me killed and thankfully I didn't freeze and moved. Now I move and gun. Close groupings are fun to brag to your friends but moving and shooting is the best way to stay alive IMHO

I go to the range with a purpose and usually some specific goals in mind. I'm fond of referring folks to Clint Smith's article "One Hundred Rounds" which offers some drills to work on.

I annotate my targets with the distance I shot from and the drill I was working on, along with date, caliber, gun as appropriate. I may photograph the targets if they illustrate a problem, but I do record the score and other data so I can keep track of my progress (or lack of same).

I try to limit myself to 100 rounds of centerfire handgun ammo, but I'll shoot rimfire until I stop enjoying it or the Rangemasters are closing the place down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

For me, the first mag is always my fun mag, I shoot for the fun of shooting and don't sweat the hits and misses no matter what the rest of the time at the range if for.

After that, I work on drills and malfunctions as required.

I need to find a range that will actually allow me to do some drills...right now its ....no rapid fire...and if your firearm jams or fails to fire...put it on the table..
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I train dry fire, gun handling and malfuctions at home with snap caps.

I go to the range to shoot. I like the Dot Torture Drill or the FAST drill from Pistol-Training.com

I do some dry fire practice at home, especially if I intend to compete in high-power rifle. I have an unsystematic approach to training, doing whatever I'm in the mood to work on. I may go through 15 rounds or 500. Much of my shooting has little to do with self defense training, though I will spend some time on that aspect on occasion. Our local range, which is less than three minutes from my house and within earshot if the wind is out of the south, allows complete freedom with shooting techniques as long as bullets are responsibly placed within the berms provided. However, most of my so-called self-defense training though is conducted on our own place and involves field work with both targets brought for the purpose and cactus, stumps, rocks, and other targets of opportunity. I'm into firearms as a hobby so shooting is not strictly all business with me. Training is fun sometimes but so are a lot of other shooting activities involving firearms.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

One of my practices includes seting up 4 or 6 man size targets , and practice a draw and fire with my six gun. I am able to hit all six in about 2.7 seconds, although sometimes I still miss one or go over three seconds. I then practice a reload, as I simulate running to a covered position and then working back thru the targets from an opposite end. Sometimes I practice this from a sitting position to simulate being in a restraunt.
    One of my favorite drills is to sit up about 3 of these silloutte targets and pretend one is a hostage, and attempt to make a 25-50 yard head shot on the hostage taker with/without a rest with my revolvers. I try to do this at least 2 or three times a week and probably shoot 100 rounds a day.
    Another fun practice is to save up laundry detergent and milk jugs, fill them up with water, and throw them into the air, draw and shoot. This is fun, breaks uo the routine, and reinforces my hand eye coordination.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; November 8th, 2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Correction

I work on the one hand shooting most & presitation ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since the range limits me on what I can do, I do most of my CQC/point shooting from the draw/shooting from lying prone during dry-fire practice afterwards.

For the pistol at the range, I live-fire from a variety of positions (last two shots from weak hand) from:
    -standing (one hand from strong side)
    -" (one hand from weak side)
    " (Weaver)
    "(Isosceles)
    -kneeling on right knee (two handed fire)
    -" (1 hand fire from dominant hand)
    -kneeling on left knee (2 hand fire)
    -kneeling on both knees (two handed fire)
    -front prone (2 hand fire)
    - left/right side prone (2 hand fire/1 hand fire from dominant hand)

Shotgun Dry Fire At Home:
    -dry fire at shoulder level point shooting while standing
    -dry fire at shoulder level point shooting while kneeling on one knee
    -dry fire at shoulder level point shooting while squatting

Shotgun Live Fire Positions At the Range (Shoulder Level Fire Only Allowed At the Range):
    -standing (aggressive forward)
    -kneeling on one knee
    -squatting

Rifle Firing Positions at the Range:
    -standing (aggressive forward)
    -squatting
    -kneeling on one knee
    -kneeling on both knees
    -sitting w/ legs apart
    -sitting w/ ankles crossed
    -front prone
    -left side prone
    -right side prone

Note: I don't dry fire my AR-15 for practice since I don't like to constantly pull the charging handle after every snapcap round.

VIP Member
    With the 9mm ammo shortage here the main thing I work on in presentation from the holster and working at odd angles, seated, kneeling and so on. I may have only 15 rounds to play with at any one time for the handgun so you have to make them all count. We load each others ammo in multiple mags with 2 or 3 rounds so reloads are forced at random.

Rifle training with the AK and M4 takes on a different meaning ammo can be had easily.
    Rifle drills start standing and work all the way to prone. Presentations from right and left side and rear to engage the targets from contact back to 25 meters, as far as we can go. I train firing from both shoulders and with off hand i.e. gun in left shoulder, right hand pulling the trigger and so on. We also will run drills from behind cover and if we can find a way to get the old armored humvee door to the range we can set up shooting from it. Reloading drills from different positions and also timed drills. We then run a specific segment of strictly full auto or burst fire and finish off with some friendly competition from the bench or offhand.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

6 sets, 6 targets, 15 rounds per set
    30' slow working on trigger control
    30' slow again
    30' triple taps
    program mode (target moves randomly)
    30' target wl5 bullseyes. Shoot each bulls eye once. Do 3x
    30' target wl5 bullseyes. Shoot each bulls eye once. Do 3x

Airsoft Glock copy used in basement on IDPA style course. moving and shooting

Total Rounds Fired At Each Range Session For Each Caliber:
    .40 S&W (100-200 rds.)
    .45 ACP (100-200 rds.)
    12-ga. (80-100 rds.)
    .223 Remington/5.56mm (140-260 rds.)

Regarding Types of Targets Used:
    I always use silhoutte targets. I like to use the ones with human pictures but the range policy does not allow it since it is a family-oriented type of outdoor range.

Target Practice Distances:
    I keep it realistic at between 5 and 25 yds. As for the rifle, I am using it for CQ home defense, not sniping. That is why I don't shoot it over 200 yds., except maybe once or twice a year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links