We all start somewhere.

This is a discussion on We all start somewhere. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum and CCW instruction. Saturday 8 July, I teach my first ever CCW class. I am not new to firearms instruction as ...

Thread: We all start somewhere.

We all start somewhere.

New to the forum and CCW instruction.

Saturday 8 July, I teach my first ever CCW class. I am not new to firearms instruction as I have been an NCO in the guard now for 14 years. It comes with the job. Both pistol and rifle marksmanship.

This will be the first time on the civilian side.

Any pointers from others are very welcomed.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    no pointers, but good luck.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

erh

Lightbulb 1st "Civilian" class(es)...

The only pointers I have are these: (1st & foremost... Remember that they are civilians..!)
    Start out slow and easy, stay calm... If you get a little nervous it's fine; but don't allow yourself to become "Flustered."
    IF you do you can easily & unintentionally pass "Bad/ incorrect" info... Pay attention to what you're saying; If you catch yourself, & do make an incorrect statement or say something that seems incorrect or inappropriate, don't be too embarrassed to stop, point it out w/o undermining yourself, & correct your mistake..! Remember that you are likely going to be instructing people that know either "nothing at all, or even worse; one's that (think) they know so much they make it difficult to teach; I mean the dreaded "Know it all better than you do folks;" that likely only really know enough to be dangerous, and will do their best not to hear you at all..; those one's you REALLY "have to get through to and MAKE yourself heard!"
    Remember to remind them @ some point that "If they have someone already Drawn Down On them; It's likely a VERY bad idea to try, at that particular point anyway, to draw back on them at least at that stage of the game..!" (IMHO) You should not only instruct "Marksmanship", but also at least in passing try to remind them of basic common sense practices, and survival technique's; i.e.: "If at all possible, it's FAR better to "Get the Hell out'ta Dodge than get in a gun fight, etc..!" It'll take a while, but it'll become less "Nerve Racking" as you get more classes "Under your belt..!"
    You'll be fine and I commend you on your new under-taking! It's a very honorable and necessary endeavor! Good luck w/ it..!
    Last edited by erh; July 7th, 2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added a line...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Assistant Administrator
    From my experience teaching folks let me add what I regard as a vital component - humor!!!!

Not a case of trying too hard but - if a student suggests something less than sensible - yank their chain gently without derision - and more importantly - be good at making fun of yourself. Laugh with - and not at.

It's hard to explain really - and is quite subtle - but it is possible to be assertive, maintain good class discipline and yet be sufficiently informal that humor lightens the load for everyone. A relaxed class is going to enjoy things more - at least that has been my experience, and feedback has confirmed this.

One other thing - tho many folks are newbs they will have ideas - some preconceived and fallacious - however be good at praising even negative inputs - ''good idea - but ... '' sorta deal. Positive feedback is suggested by the NRA approach and IMO works - slam folks too hard and they become alienated. It's a fine balancing act.

Good luck - use all your experience to advantage but be fairly laid back too. Safety of course to be reinforced to the max.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Remember that most people probably arent as proficient in weapons as you are. Dont assume that they know anything about them.

Start with the basics.

Teach the 4 rules of gunhandling and repeat them at various times thoughout the class.

Stress safety.

Stress responsibility.

Encourage participation. Ask questions. Be gentle if the answer is wrong and explain why it is wrong.

Maintain control of the class. There always seems to be one that wants to impart his knowledge of guns on the world. Know how to handle that.

Use a little humour...keep the class lighthearted and happy. When people are at ease, they learn more.

Have an outline of subject matter that you can refer to. It'll help keep you on track and makes for a more balanced approach when teaching.

Meet every single person at the door. Shake their hand. Let them know that you are glad they are there.

If handling guns in the class room, make absolutley sure that there is NO LIVE AMMO in the room. We have a few people sit at a desk before entereing to check bags and weapons. If live ammo is found we make them secure it in the vehicle. This is important. You cannot afford a negligent discharge.

Ask,then check. Then ask again. It'll take a little longer but it is well worth it.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Our instructor made a very good opening, breaking the ice with the group. He was dressed very casually, t-shirt and coaches shorts. He asked the question, "Could I effectively carry a concealed handgun, dressed like this?" After hearing a couple of comments, he then proceeded to produce no less than 5 handguns. Sort of got everyone thinking about the possibilities.

Make sure to attend to the comfort of the class. Have the temperature adjusted properly. Let everyone know where the restrooms are. Make sure everyone is included in the discussions. It's easy to just pay attention to the vocal ones. If someone's not participating, ask them a question.

Remember, everyone is in the class because they want to be there, unlike some military training or public school. They're pulling for you to do a good job. Just be straightforward, and don't BS. If you don't know something, say you'll find out. Just make sure you do find out and follow up.

The most important part of the class, as far as I'm concerned, is the law regarding use of deadly force in your state. What, where, when, how. An ADA did a great job of covering that portion in our class. Especially dealing with ambiguous scenarios. This is the part that everyone must know if they're going to be a responsible CCW license holder.

I'm sure you'll do a great job and your students will be very appreciative!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Don't threaten the students! Their armed ya know!

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I just started teaching firearm courses this year, so I know what you feeling. Here are some things that I made sure I had down cold.

Know the material inside and out.

Know exactly what your student is looking to acquire from you.

Customize your teachings to each students needs.

Be able to answer any question that is thrown at you. Some people need to know "why." You must be able to provide the "why" in a logical and common sense manner. After you explain "why"....."that makes sense" is the response that you want to hear.

Be patient, especially with problems such as trigger control. Realize that it is a natural reaction to flinch, to mash the trigger, or to anticipate the recoil when an un-natural explosion is going off in someones hands.

Make the student feel at ease with you. Let them know that you on their side and that you are there to help them. Work on establishing your students comfort level and work within that comfort level.

Have an open mind and be well rounded.

Use positive reinforcement often, this will build confidence. When you need to correct them, they will take the constructive criticism better.

Make sure the students are drinking plenty of water if the weather is hot or humid.

I am back from my first class...

It went well. We had a total of 8 students. Our course of fire was for 100 rounds per. Over 6 different course and 2 stages per course of fire.

We spent the first 1 1/2-2 hours going over state laws, and legal criteria. Talked about CCW carry positions, weapons, holsters. Whether or not one should advance or back off.

we then broke for lunch. I brought Potato Salad, Coleslaw, baked beans and brats. The one who helped put the whole class together brought fresh Alaskan Halibut.

We then went and did our course of fires. Finished about 2 hours latter.

The only thing they really had an issue with is the heat and not having any shade. I had a cooler full of bottled water on ice with so that helped. Out of the case, I came home with 5 bottles of water. Some brought their own water too.

Otherwise, it was a good success.
    Last edited by farmerj; July 8th, 2006 at 05:19 PM.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

VIP Member
    Have fun teaching the course! If you don't know the answer to one of their questions...that's ok (usually at least); tell them you don't know the answer, but you'll get back to them as soon as you get an answer.

Oh....have fun! Oops...said that already!

Good luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I forgot to mention,

One guy brought a CZ .380, a Ruger MKII, BlackHawk in 45 LC and Ruger 454 Casull.

At one point or another, he fired every pistol.

Including one string of 3 - double taps with the Casull.

I fired it afterwards. He can keep it.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well congrats on your " cherry " class lol now the stress is off and you can both improve your material , and have fun with teaching .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    That wasnt so bad now was it ?
    Congrats !

from here on out it'll only get better...

Assistant Administrator
    Good result farmer by sounds of it - pretty enjoyable really ain't it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links