Cost: $50
Length of class: 10:30 am – 4:30 pm

I trained at Practical Self Defense Training Center in Waterbury, CT at the school’s Kuntao Dumpag seminar yesterday.

Kuntao Dumpag, as Ron Kosakowski teaches it, is ground fighting. Not grappling, but that was part of it, but ground fighting.

The seminar started off with how to position yourself on the ground to allow for stability, mobility and force with kicking targeted at an opponent’s ankles, shins, knees & groin, as well as how to move to keep your weapons (in this case your legs) oriented toward your opponent.

It progressed to how to do takedowns from the ground and how to follow them up with attacks once your opponent was grounded as well. It was very focused on how to take an asymmetrical situation (you are grounded, your attacker is not) and mitigate your disadvantaged position.

Once grounded, grappling came into play and that was worked as a way to achieve a superior position for a finish or an escape.

Biting was mentioned and we were shown how it is applied. As an aside, biting seems to get one of two reactions: 1 It’s the end all and be all of dirty tricks and will negate a BJJ fighter’s entire arsenal…or, 2 Biting is just ******** and don’t even bother with it.

Ron takes an alternative point of view…it’s a means to get someone to flinch so you can ride the startle response into something else…that being another position, freeing up an arm or allowing you to access a weapon. It’s not an ultra secret be-all-end-all thing, but not to be dismissed out of hand either.

If it works, nice. If not, you better have your ground game in order because you still need to apply it, regardless of if the bite works or not.

The seminar was ran at a quick pace, breaking it up into instructional and work blocks. Working blocks were about 20 minutes each, and instructional blocks varied depending on if he was introducing a new technique, or correcting mistakes he observed being made by a number of people.

Ron had 2 assistant instructors who were equally knowledgeable and everyone, from Ron and the instructors, were very approachable and willing to work with anyone who they were able to get to. The advanced students in the class were also very approachable and if the instructors were busy they stepped up.

I saw nobody get injured, but I’m sure a lot of people are feeling as if the business end of a 9mm looks mighty tasty today.

It was a great way to spend a Sunday, and I wish I could train with Ron more.