Tactical Defense Institute Defensive Knife After Action Review

This is a discussion on Tactical Defense Institute Defensive Knife After Action Review within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't post the video here because it is a violation of our "family friendly" posting rules..lol You can go to either my YouTube page ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Defense Institute Defensive Knife After Action Review

Senior Moderator
    I can't post the video here because it is a violation of our "family friendly" posting rules..lol You can go to either my YouTube page or JD's blog to see it though.

2. Remove Ads

I was right!! That is a great video!! Very good job and thanks for all you do!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Very nice write up Lima. Sounds like a good class.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I was right!! That is a great video!! Very good job and thanks for all you do!
    Feisty. At only five hours from West Union, OH, and after your dispelling any question about quality, Lima, I have TDI on my itenerary. Thanks for sharing with your well-considered essay.

How were the prices of the trainers? I can get the TDI, Red Zytel Handle, Plain Ka-Bar trainer for the TDI LE (that I have thanks to one of your earlier vids) for $31 on Amazon. Should I grab it (no pun intended)?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I can't post the video here because it is a violation of our "family friendly" posting rules..lol You can go to either my YouTube page or JD's blog to see it though.
    I stumbled on the video, very nice. I will say it is kinda strange hearing that kind of language from a lady.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Feisty. At only five hours from West Union, OH, and after your dispelling any question about quality, Lima, I have TDI on my itenerary. Thanks for sharing with your well-considered essay.

How were the prices of the trainers? I can get the TDI, Red Zytel Handle, Plain Ka-Bar trainer for the TDI LE (that I have thanks to one of your earlier vids) for $31 on Amazon. Should I grab it (no pun intended)?
    If that's the best price on amazon I think that's about it. I got mine from Amazon as well and I think that's about what I paid for mine though I can't really remember. You don't NEED a trainer to go to the class, btw. They have plenty of trainers there. I only brought mine because I had it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I stumbled on the video, very nice. I will say it is kinda strange hearing that kind of language from a lady.
    LOL.. I think the people in the class were pretty surprised as well. Usually my Mom (who loves watching my videos) makes some kind of comment about them but she has stayed FAR away from commenting on this video..lol If she watched it (which I'm sure she did) she probably had a small heart attack.

What's funny is that we had just gotten done talking about language and how strong language can make it your intent very clear but that one should be careful not to insult or enrage the attacker further by degrading him through language. It's also about how witnesses can/will hear things as well. Adding an expletive to drive a point like "GET AWAY FROM ME!" could be good because there is no way of misinterpreting that (from the attacker or the bystander). But insulting someone in a derogatory manner with a few other choice expletives can only serve to enrage them further.

We were also warned that strong words should sound natural. Nothing is as silly as someone trying to swear when they can't (think Mel Gibson's character in Signs as they are running around the house, "I am insane with anger!" That kind of a thing).

However, I kind of saw red when I got into things and wasn't really aware of what was coming out of my mouth. I've had this happen in one other force-on-force and according to the gals who were standing around I was letting out a string of profanity that would make a sailor blush. After this particular scenario everyone took special note to tell me that the cursing sounded very genuine.

I guess when I get ticked off I loose my brain/mouth filter.

Great review of the class and cool video! Thanks for sharing your experiences. A couple of TDI classes are on my priority list of things to do in 2011.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Excellent video and review, thanks for sharing. As always you are concise, easy to read and honest. Keep em coming!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Nice review Lima!
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

A couple of thoughts having watched the video. First, the initial sweep of the arms and first takedown were OK. That's the kind of thing that does tend to work.

Once the BG is down, run for it. Don't hang around. (I understand the scenario wasn't about that, this is just a tactics remark.)

If you're in position, use your legs like pistons and drive with your heels. The grab for the knife is really instructive in the video. Notice that there isn't much time. You did a great job of getting to your weapon and deploying it under stress. Once in hand, going for the BG's legs - particularly around the knees and tendons in the kneecap area, with digging "comma" cuts is recommended.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Once again, thank you for the review, the FOF video (that was awesome), and all the other information you've shared here, on youtube, and on your webpage.

Okay Mel, time to try your TDI training against my Dog Catcher!!! When are we doin' it???
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links