NRA basic pistol course

NRA basic pistol course

This is a discussion on NRA basic pistol course within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally the range up here is having an NRA basic pistol shotting course tomorrow. Only $50 so I signed up. Anyone taken this class? What ...

Thread: NRA basic pistol course

NRA basic pistol course

Finally the range up here is having an NRA basic pistol shotting course tomorrow. Only $50 so I signed up. Anyone taken this class? What goes on during the range time? Good class to take, good info? What can you tell me about it? Thanks!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's basic... I'm instructor-certified for this class.

It's really basic. Handgun operation and terms, and familiarization.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I took it since it's required if you want a MA permit, and I know other states require it as well. It is what the title says, a Basic Pistol Course. It's mostly for people that are new to firearms, but since they go through different types of firearms and things we might not have thought of, I think most people will learn something new. The range time only consisted of shooting a few rounds of .22LR in my case. Safety is the main thing they teach you in this course.

Well I would like to get a Maine CCW since I'm up there often and this will satisfy the "proof of safe gun handling" requirement, so for $50 I'm OK with basic stuff and I'm sure I'll learn something new.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Depending on the instructor(s), you may get the opportunity to shoot a pretty wide variety of guns.

It's lame (If you've been shooting any length of time at all). It's not about shooting, it's about loading, unloading, nomenclature, and calling it a firearm instead of a weapon. I'm certified to teach it too, but I won't.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

It's really for someone who has never fired or who is really unfamiliar whith weapons. I teach the class.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

IMO....nothing wrong with taking an NRA certified class. Whether or not it may be something required for you to do in obtaining a permit in your neck of the woods I don't know. What I will tell you is that I think this whole CC ordeal has opened up new doors and profits for facilities willing to educate or with the credentials to do so. Sometimes I think it's an opportunity for some to cash in on the wave. Then again...there's always something to be learned.....just depends on what you don't already know, and the price they are asking to refresh your memory. Any continuing education is good to get under your belt.....but if it's something you already know....why pay for it? Again.....I don't know about other parts of the country, but I'm telling you that plenty of places and certified instructors are in this ordeal for the business and profit. What you'll get for your money spent, you'll seldom know until you've spent that money. Specialized training is one thing.......getting back to basics is another and somewhere we should already be as an adult carrying a handgun. Personally, I'm not willing to pay to go back to elementary school. For what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Depending on the instructor(s), you may get the opportunity to shoot a pretty wide variety of guns.
    There were 8 of us and I was the only guy. While the class was very boring for me it all payed off in the end. 4 hours of the class we spent on the range with a variety of 37 pistols. darn near Every cal. semi-auto and revolver. Basically after we showed him we can safely handle and operate a firearm he let us pick whatever we wanted off the table and start sending rounds down range. I fired about 30 different handguns from .44 mag to .22

He had sigs, glocks (even a 10mm!! which I love ) , S&W, rugers, you name it. Awesome time. He let us hang out as long as we wanted, fire as much as we wanted, have competitions. It was a blast.

Going to some classes at the sig saur academy next door in New Hampshire in 2 weeks that should be great also!!

Sponsored Links