left eye dominant and right handed

This is a discussion on left eye dominant and right handed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title says it all, I find it annoing always turning my head far right to.shoot, anyone have some tips, methods, training styles? One style I ...

Thread: left eye dominant and right handed

Title says it all, I find it annoing always turning my head far right to.shoot, anyone have some tips, methods, training styles? One style I have researched is C.A.R by paul castle but do not have the money for that type.of.training right now
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

After an injury I had to learn to shoot left handed and right eye dominant,I either have to squint my right eye to get my left to acquire the sites,or turn my head to the left and use my right eye
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    the best way to do this for me is to bring my hands over, this results in a modified weaver stance that is similar to the first position of presenting the firearm, arms bent, gun in front of dominant eye, and wrists forward at an angle to give a level sight picture, it sounds more incorrect of a stance typing then showing you, so i will have Mom take some pictures of the way I shoot when we go to the range today and post them up to demonstrate this
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    I have only one eye, the left one. I'm right handed. Sometimes I shoot lefty, it can be learned. Sometimes a cant helps. Sometimes I just shift my head over or my hand over.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Jim Gregg addresses this issue in his book, worth a read. He goes through how to test for it and how to compensate.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

same problem

Due to a brain tumor I had removed 10 years ago I have the same issue. So I have invested in a pair of crimson trace laser grips which has helped tremedously. I still train without relying on the grips as not to be too dependent in case of battery drain, bright light etc, but I stand by them 100 percent.
    I would rather Die on my Feet than live on my knees. Emilio Zapata.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    There are many of Mas Ayoob's grads here, I'm surprised that no one answered. So I will. My son is right handed left eyed, all of uw will have to shoot with non dom hand during Mas's and Marty Hayes intensive classes. So her is the simple technique, and it is very fast. Simply cant the gun at a 20-30 degree angle toward the dom eye and the sight picture is instant. It is the technique I teach in my Military/LEO classes.

I simply have altered my shooting stance to accommodate the same issue.

I have the "affliction". If I try to shoot a long gun right handed. I have to tilt way over the butt stock to get a sight picture. On a handgun, i simply draw right and do like INccwchris says a modified weaver with the front sight in front of the left eye. Just takes practice. Some say to close one eye, but I work better with both eyes open.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    There are many of Mas Ayoob's grads here, I'm surprised that no one answered. So I will. My son is right handed left eyed, all of uw will have to shoot with non dom hand during Mas's and Marty Hayes intensive classes. So her is the simple technique, and it is very fast. Simply cant the gun at a 20-30 degree angle toward the dom eye and the sight picture is instant. It is the technique I teach in my Military/LEO classes.
    I was practicing non-dominant hand last time I was at the range and I had this suggestion from the RSO. It works.

Same thing here. I began by tilting my head to the right so I could sight with left eye. Works okay.

Then my son (a Navy small-arms instructor) suggested that I tilt the gun slightly. Rather than hold it in a 12 o'clock, I tilt it to an 11:30 or 11 position. Makes it even easier to line up, don't have to tilt my head as much -- and my accuracy went WAY up.

i also am right handed and left eye dominant, have been all my life . i fire a long gun left handed and hand guns right handed. has never been a problem. just relax and keep both eyes open. more practice it will work out.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

I wrote an article on this very topic at warriortalknews.com The title is "Right Hand Left Eye, One Way Wrong Way". Hope it helps.

Jon Payne
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

read article here
    Last edited by skipper1969; January 19th, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added link

Sponsored Links