Home IDPA course...

Home IDPA course...

This is a discussion on Home IDPA course... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to setup a little IDPA like or USPA(I believe it is) course on my property. I search for some links on google, but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sticks
  • 1 Post By Sticks

Thread: Home IDPA course...

Home IDPA course...

I want to setup a little IDPA like or USPA(I believe it is) course on my property. I search for some links on google, but honestly could not find any... Could anyone help? I have plenty or OSB for walls and barriers and I can make my own targets:)

thanks

Do a google search with the search term 'IDPA COF' or 'IDPA course of fire' and you will get many hits from a variety of sources including this one:
    http://www.idpa.com/contrib_cof.asp

As you search the internet you may want to also search for pistol drills which are great practice and will help you on your COF results under the timer. If haven't done so already, you should consider becoming a member of IDPA, IPSC, or USPSA.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

If you search on youtube, you will find a lot of stages you can copy. This girl does a good job with the hatcam, and she also shows the stage at the beginning. She has many good videos in addition to this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHDDc..._order&list=UL

Here are some from the Nationals:
    http://www.nroi.org/nationals/downlo...er82109_OP.pdf
    http://www.nroi.org/nationals/downlo...r82109_LLR.pdf
    http://www.nroi.org/nationals/images/LPRNationals.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by txshooter View Post
    Do a google search with the search term 'IDPA COF' or 'IDPA course of fire' and you will get many hits from a variety of sources including this one:
    http://www.idpa.com/contrib_cof.asp

As you search the internet you may want to also search for pistol drills which are great practice and will help you on your COF results under the timer. If haven't done so already, you should consider becoming a member of IDPA, IPSC, or USPSA.
    Whats the differances between the IDPA, IPSC and USPSA?

Based in Jackson Hole, Wyoming US, but travels extensively for training and public speaking.

Research

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    Whats the differances between the IDPA, IPSC and USPSA?
    If you Google each of those, you will find most of the info you need. If you have any questions not easily found on IDPA, IPSC & USPSA homepages, we will try as best we can to answer them here. I think you will find a lot of valuable information with a quick Google seach though.

Shepard Humphries
    www.ShootInJH.com
    Premier Shooting Instruction & Experiences

IDPA = reasonable realistic potential real life situations (up to the point you will likely never encounter 5-10 BGs). Use of cover garment, tactical methods (use of cover, concealment, shooting from retention, one handed [strong or weak], required reloads...), use of weapon and carry gear that you would have on any average day in public (high and tight holster, 2 extra mags).

ISPSA/USPSA = At the sound of the start signal, grab your gun and start blasting while running after spending a considerable amount of time walking through the stage planning how many steps you will take, which targets you will shoot and in which order and when you will reload. Use of cover is out the window, as well as the weapon you carry every day (you are most likely shooting a fluffed and buffed gun), along with 3-8 magazines on your belt and a super speed holster. If you have the money you are shooting a $3k+ race gun.

I shoot both IDPA and the ISPSA/USPSA. I shoot both with IDPA guidelines. I get a crappy score, but I get the practice.

As for a home course, if you live rural and can set up a live fire range...I hate you.

Make several target stands that you can pick up and move easy, and some type of barriers/obstacles that you can do the same with. Just make stuff up. Read the news for ideas on actual shooting incidents that occurred and duplicate. If you have a couple buddies that you can have come over it makes it more fun since they can arrange COFs so you can do "blind" stages - READ- walk into it unknowing how many and where the targets are. Safety, safety, safety.

You can buy either paper or cardboard "official" targets online, tape, and a shot timer.

I wish my buddy still had his property.

I'm going to go pout now.
    gorilla45 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

+1 What sticks said sums it up for me. I hate you too.....
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    As for a home course, if you live rural and can set up a live fire range...I hate you.

Make several target stands that you can pick up and move easy, and some type of barriers/obstacles that you can do the same with. Just make stuff up. Read the news for ideas on actual shooting incidents that occurred and duplicate. If you have a couple buddies that you can have come over it makes it more fun since they can arrange COFs so you can do "blind" stages - READ- walk into it unknowing how many and where the targets are. Safety, safety, safety.

You can buy either paper or cardboard "official" targets online, tape, and a shot timer.

I wish my buddy still had his property.

I'm going to go pout now.
    I live way far out from Rural. I live in the sticks (no pun intended)... and can set it up:) hey you can come shoot anytime buddy:) also thanks for the answers..I suck with google searching lol

I got about 80 acres in E.TX i have been thinking about doing something like this with. Thanx alot for the links. This may prove to be fun.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

I hate you too.
    gorilla45 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Awww now Sticks, don't be hatin' if you get to my neck o' de woods you can play on it for free. Just gotta bring your own bb's.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post
    I want to setup a little IDPA like or USPA(I believe it is) course on my property. I search for some links on google, but honestly could not find any... Could anyone help? I have plenty or OSB for walls and barriers and I can make my own targets:)

thanks
    I run two clubs and have a massive library of courses we've shot. Drop me a PM for contact info and I'll send you some of the smaller ones. You'll like 'em.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

hk dan, what are the 2 clubs you shoot at? maybe you can send me an email. thank you.
    rus e.
    m1aspring@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by M1aspring View Post
    hk dan, what are the 2 clubs you shoot at? maybe you can send me an email. thank you.
    rus e.
    m1aspring@gmail.com
    WolfCreekIDPA is one......
    Hey Dan!! Found this site a day or two ago...seen JD and Melody are here, now you too!
    Gene
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by M1aspring View Post
    rus e.
    m1aspring@gmail.com
    Dan's the founder of Wolf Creek IDPA (Shoots held in Traer, IA), and a long time USPSA shooter with the Blackhawk Pistol Club in Waterloo.

There's Linn County IDPA and Central Iowa IDPA that shoots in Boone and Ames. I've shot a good number of Wolf Creek Matches and a couple Linn County matches, going to start checking out the Boone/Ames matches before the season ends and see how they are. Of the Wolf Creek and Linn matches, you can't beat Wolf Creek.

Sponsored Links