Shooting at the range when tired? - Page 2

Shooting at the range when tired?

This is a discussion on Shooting at the range when tired? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I honestly do not see how being tired can be unsafe at the range. If being a little tired is going to make you shoot ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I honestly do not see how being tired can be unsafe at the range. If being a little tired is going to make you shoot yourself or some other craziness you probably should consider going through some serious weapons safety training. I can honestly say I have never questioned my weapons safety no matter how tired I was or what I was firing. If you do not feel safe shooting when you are tired you really shouldn't be carrying if you are tired. If you cant safely shoot you can not safely carry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tired? At the end of a long day? Or falling down because you haven't slept for three days? Just how tired do you think you have to be before the "range officers" tell you to go home?

I'm tired everyday, and I don't think the BGs are going to wait until I'm refreshed and ready for "safe" action after a good night's sleep. You have to be able to defend yourself regardless of if it's been a long day or not.

You might not punch out the ten ring at the end of the day, but you should be able to score nines without shooting the guy in the lane next to you.

Now if you just don't feel like loading up the gear and driving to the range, heck, we all feel that way sometimes. Sometimes the lawn doesn't get mowed either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

20 yrs ago when I was a pothead, I used to intentionally go to my Kenpo class stoned out of my mind. My reasoning was that if I was going to be in the state of mind most of the time, I should train there. It paid off....I was completely smashed and got jumped at a bar. I ended up giving a report and the other 2 guys ended up with a trip to the hospital.

I don't smoke any more and rarely drink...but in regards to the OP and topic, I say this: I am rarely at a 100% b/c of my job. Even as I type this, I am at the tail end of an outage that's kept me up all night. That being said, tired or not, I'm going to train. "If I spend the majority of my conscious time in this state, I'm going to train in this state."

Adrenaline doesn't help you think clearly all the time...sure it will make you not-tired any more, but doesn't give you clarity....so why not get your reflexes up when a little tired?

Ya, I know this won't be the most popular thread....but is my "logic" on tiredness and training.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

I've done dryfire practice dead tired and full on drunk. never know when something might go down.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Yesterday:
    -Ran about 5 miles in the morning, including hill sprints. Ended it with a 100 yd. sprint.
    -In the afternoon at 1200, fired 260 rds. of 5.56 from my RRA "Entry Tactical" LAR-15 semiautomatic rifle using different positions (kneeling/squatting/sitting/prone/left and right side prone/standing) at the outoor range.

Today:
    -Heavybag workout using Muay Thai and combatives strikes for 40 min. including kicking while on the ground. Ended with a speedbag, double-end bag, and jumprope session, 10 min. each. All in the morning.
    -Attended church at 1100 for 1 hr.
    -Indoor range session at 1230 after I changed from formal to blue collar attire. All one handed shooting (strong and weak hand), 50 rds. each from my .40 and .45. semiautomatic pistols.

Note: As a result of my efforts, also lost some weight. Yesterday, I went down from 182 to 178 lbs. And this morning, I now weigh a lean 174 lbs., my ideal fitness weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    I honestly do not see how being tired can be unsafe at the range. If being a little tired is going to make you shoot yourself or some other craziness you probably should consider going through some serious weapons safety training. I can honestly say I have never questioned my weapons safety no matter how tired I was or what I was firing. If you do not feel safe shooting when you are tired you really shouldn't be carrying if you are tired. If you cant safely shoot you can not safely carry.
    I agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links