Ammunition Analysis: Always test your ammo to know actual POI against intended POA

This is a discussion on Ammunition Analysis: Always test your ammo to know actual POI against intended POA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great post Jang! One of the training aids I use when teaching shooter is asking " Do you know where your gun hits "POI" in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ammunition Analysis: Always test your ammo to know actual POI against intended POA

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ Border Territory,
    Posts
    1,002
    Great post Jang!

    One of the training aids I use when teaching shooter is asking " Do you know where your gun hits "POI" in relation to "POA"? We shoot at a 2 inch square at 7 yards. Then asks the shooter if he held at "6"0'clock, Center hold or at 12 O'clock to hit the square. It is an eye opener for those that have not done it before.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Yup Beans...That is _exactly_ what I did here.

    2 3/4" square target at 21' / 7 yards measured, and this gun as setup by me is normally a center hold running a Dawson fiber optic front sight and OEM BoMar style adjustable target type rear, with aiming point being the pipe itself...Out to 35' / 15 yards.

    I knew this from past experience and so when training more broadly toward a 6" circle and I was getting 9" results, I very much knew something was not right.
    So to verify I went back to doing this whihc is a baseline analysis against what I know well the gun in it's current condition, the shooter (me) and the normal ammo (WWB) can do repeatedly. Only variant was the ammunition...And the day for the shooter.

    I was able to eliminate the variable of it being the shooter having an off day. ; )

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  4. #18
    RKM
    RKM is offline
    Distinguished Member Array RKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,823
    I stopped using the UMC yellow mega pack stuff because it's so weak it only locked the slide back on my Glock and HK about 70% of the time. The other 30%, if I wasn't counting the shots, the last shot would be a dry fire due to failure to lock back. Happened in two different guns in one batch of ammo. The stuff is fine for high volume practice, but I switched the PMC Bronze. I had one PMC round so far that the striker hit the primer, but it never ignited. I've shot almost 1000 rounds of PMC .223 through my AR without a hi-cup yet. Most bulk ammo is crappy. But you get what you pay for.

    As far as accuracy, the only time I've noticed a difference in accuracy is between 50gr OTM's and 55gr FMJ's in my AR. As far as handgun rounds, I can't tell a difference between brands. Maybe I'm just not that good of a shooter yet. Anything I shoot always groups the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. My 38 Special Ammo test
    By Powhs in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM
  2. How much SD ammo to test for reliability?
    By Wasabi in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
  3. Glock 26 ammo test
    By sdelam in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
  4. Double Tap Ammo test
    By ELCruisr in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
  5. Wierd ammo test on 2 .40 cal. cartridges
    By Kentucky in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM

Search tags for this page

9mm ammo walmart

,
9mm ammunition remington
,

9mm winchester white box

,
israeli 9mm ammo
,

know your ammo

,
know your ammunition
,

remington 9mm luger

,
remington umc 223 yellow box
,
remington umc yellow box
,

winchester white box 9mm

,

winchester white box 9mm walmart

,
winchester white-box ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.