Advanced Training

This is a discussion on Advanced Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spent all day in an advanced gunfighting class today. This completed 20 hours of training in addition to my CC class. There were 10 of ...

Thread: Advanced Training

Advanced Training

Spent all day in an advanced gunfighting class today. This completed 20 hours of training in addition to my CC class. There were 10 of us today started at 10:00 and finished at 7:00. We covered a lot of gunfighting drills including close quarter shooting and some night shooting. We also took the qualifying test that is given in NC for LE. That was a lot of fun and we were timed and graded. You had to score 70 to pass. My score was 82.8.
    Our instructor was retired LEO with 40 yrs under his belt. Very knowledgable and fun guy. We learned a lot and had a blast putting out 300 rounds down range.
    By the way Glock 19 ran like a champ all day. A fine choice for anyone looking for a fighting handgun!
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Glad you had fun, Why do something if you don't enjoy it? Hopefully you learned something that will save your bacon someday.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Glad you had fun, Why do something if you don't enjoy it? Hopefully you learned something that will save your bacon someday.
    Bill, that is the plan. To save my bacon or someone dear to me. My concern is if you are going to carry you should learn all you can. I also plan to take some kind of refresher yearly if possible.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

In NC as well, could you pm course info?

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    Bill, that is the plan. To save my bacon or someone dear to me. My concern is if you are going to carry you should learn all you can. I also plan to take some kind of refresher yearly if possible.
    Very good point, there is a high responsibility when you decide to carry. Training is a must...Thanks for sharing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    In NC as well, could you pm course info?
    Glad to we have attendees from all over the area.

CONCEALED CARRY CLASS - Concealed Handgun Carry, Inc.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Very good point, there is a high responsibility when you decide to carry. Training is a must...Thanks for sharing.
    Absolutely you are talking about the possibility of taking someone's life. There's a lot to consider before you pull the trigger. I do not take it lightly.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Probably the best decision you can make!
    I too did the same under different circumstances years ago. Most of our skills were completed/drilled into us on the range with less class time I think.
    My G23-bit the dust with a broken locking block the week before so I had to switch to my 27. A thousand rounds, on a hot summer day, and several blisters later I was convinced too; GLOCK was the way to go.
    No one with Glocks that day failed to go bang when needed.
    Certified Glock Armorer

NC, did you do it at Blackwater??? They are awsome!!! great place and fantastic instructors...

Just get your training from the right school

The one problem I have with taking the Advanced Training that some schools have is they are still teaching you to target shoot. If you are training to save your or someone dear to you then learn to win in a gunfight. I will not turn this into a promo, you can do a search on my posts and figure out my choice, but there a several schools teaching what you need.

My 2 cents

I am going to list a link to a Podcast from HandgunWorld.com I think it fits in with my post of getting the right training for what we carry a gun for. Listen to Episode 113 – Can you fight? Long but I think good to know stuff.

Handgun World Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    NC, did you do it at Blackwater??? They are awsome!!! great place and fantastic instructors...
    Kerby, No we did not train there. I believe our instructor did as well as at Lethal Force Institute.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Just get your training from the right school

The one problem I have with taking the Advanced Training that some schools have is they are still teaching you to target shoot. If you are training to save your or someone dear to you then learn to win in a gunfight. I will not turn this into a promo, you can do a search on my posts and figure out my choice, but there a several schools teaching what you need.

My 2 cents
    I agree. No need to pay to punch paper.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    Probably the best decision you can make!
    I too did the same under different circumstances years ago. Most of our skills were completed/drilled into us on the range with less class time I think.
    My G23-bit the dust with a broken locking block the week before so I had to switch to my 27. A thousand rounds, on a hot summer day, and several blisters later I was convinced too; GLOCK was the way to go.
    No one with Glocks that day failed to go bang when needed.
    Glocks I am convinced are one of the three best handguns made. Very easy to run under stress and tuff as nails.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Glocks I am convinced are one of the three best handguns made. Very easy to run under stress and tuff as nails.
    I am with you on Glock, I have several hand guns but carry a Glock 22, It is a true fighter not pretty but a pure fighting handgun!

Links