Pocket carry training

Pocket carry training

This is a discussion on Pocket carry training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Smith & Wesson bodyguard 380 and looking for pocket carry training or suggestions on the best drawing techniques. I been doing more ...

Thread: Pocket carry training

Pocket carry training

I carry a Smith & Wesson bodyguard 380 and looking for pocket carry training or suggestions on the best drawing techniques. I been doing more and more pocket carry lately. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any type of pocket carry training (besides dry firing practice at home).

There may be professional trainers for pocket carry, but I'm not aware of them.

I just took what training that I had and improvised it into my own practice routine.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    There may be professional trainers for pocket carry, but I'm not aware of them.

I just took what training that I had and improvised it into my own practice routine.
    Yeah that's how I've been doing it too.

I think most training applies to cc, not specific to location of weapon on person.

VIP Member
    I routinely practice pulling something (usually a flashlight, but it can be a knife, an OC spray can, or a gun) from various pockets while being pressed by my training partner. You've got to make space or go H2H one way or the other. The opponent will see you moving to pull something and attack that side or that hand, or try to get you off your feet. And while your attention is on getting at something your attention also drifts from the attacker's moves. You need to make very quick decisions about how you are going to react and keep from getting disarmed as well.

I think there is no substitute for practicing the scenario in a martial arts studio with a fake gun in a pocket holster, and see how it goes with various sorts of attacks and from various pocket positions. You don't get much reaction time with an attack that starts from 6 to 10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I routinely practice pulling something (usually a flashlight, but it can be a knife, an OC spray can, or a gun) from various pockets while being pressed by my training partner. You've got to make space or go H2H one way or the other. The opponent will see you moving to pull something and attack that side or that hand, or try to get you off your feet. And while your attention is on getting at something your attention also drifts from the attacker's moves. You need to make very quick decisions about how you are going to react and keep from getting disarmed as well.

I think there is no substitute for practicing the scenario in a martial arts studio with a fake gun in a pocket holster, and see how it goes with various sorts of attacks and from various pocket positions. You don't get much reaction time with an attack that starts from 6 to 10 feet.
    In this scenario, you could not present your weapon because this appears to be just a physical attack.

I pocket more than 90% of the time and I almost always have my hand on my gun when I am in close proximity to anyone that I do not know in a marginal area. When he sees me move my hand....he will immediately see a muzzle flash if I have determined that he is armed.

I pocket carry alot of the time as well.

As jwarren it's a good idea to have your hand on your pocket pistol if you feel any potentual threat. Every extra fraction of a second that you save when drawing your weapon is to your advantage.

I have practiced pulling my unloaded pistol from my pocket as if it were a real life situation to get framiliarized with the procedure. And try to trouble shoot anything that may unexpectadely happen in the process.

Links