It Can All CHange In An Instant....

This is a discussion on It Can All CHange In An Instant.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys! New member here! I just thought I would share one of my experiences as it is one of many reasons why I now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It Can All CHange In An Instant....

Hey guys! New member here! I just thought I would share one of my experiences as it is one of many reasons why I now carry everyday, everywhere.

This was on Halloween weekend in 2003. Myself, my GF at the time, my best friend and his GF at the time (we all lived together in a 2 bdrm apartment) were attending a Halloween party at my friend's GF old house where about 7 of her friends still lived. The house is located 2 blocks from the main entrance to the University of Washington. (seriously 2 blocks) The party was great, had a fantastic time but was ready to call it a night at about 1 AM. My GF and I walk out back to leave through the alley and my friend and his GF join us to have a smoke before they go back inside(there is like 25 people outside in the back doing the same thing). They finish their cigs and we say goodbye and me and my GF walk down the alley and around the corner out to the street. We make it home and go to sleep. At about 3:30 we get a loud pounding on the door, it is my friends brother telling me to hurry up and get dressed we have to go to the hospital, Kyle and Jess got shot. ***?!?! Well apparently less than 5 minutes after we left, two people started shooting down the alley. My friend got hit in the thigh and his GF in the neck. A few things about this:

- When the police did their "investigation" they found multiple shells from a .38 and a 9MM. They called it an "initiation" shooting. Where someone shooting indiscriminately into a crowd in order to be let into a gang. I am still not convinced as they found the shells on opposite ends of the alley and my friend and his GF got hit from different directions. I think they got caught in crossfire.
    To this day no one was caught and the police never questioned my friend or his GF. I think b/c it was 2 blocks from the University of Washington the city pretty much just wanted the whole situation to just "go away.."

- Never depend on anyone else for help. As they lay there bleeding my buddy was begging for someone to call an ambulance. My buddy had crawled over to his GF to try and stop the bleeding and to hold her until the ambulance showed up. The whole time yelling "someone call 911!!" He finally had to lift himself off the ground stumble over to some ***hole FILMING the whole thing on his cellphone and call for help himself. I could not believe that when I heard it.

I know that had my friend been carrying the outcome would have been the same since this was a random event BUT I just wanted to share as an example of how quickly your life can be turned upside down and you have to fight for your survival. Also had my friend been trained in the proper use of SA he may have had a chance to notice whomever did the shooting and get to a safe place. Who knows...

EDIT** I realized I never said both my friend and his GF are ok and have made full recoveries. They were both very lucky. My buddy took a round in the thigh that came within an 1/8 of an inch of his femoral artery. Would have bled out in less than 5 minutes. His GF whom got hit in the neck was even luckier. Apparently the surgeon said that by looking at the injury the only way she could have avoided any serious injury was if the bullet was tumbling (may have been a ricochet) It went in through the back right side of her neck and out over her left collar bone shaving some skin off the bone on the way out. The bullet actually tumbled around her spine, esophagus, and all arteries. Right through the middle of her neck. We thought she was gonna die but she ended up only needing one stitch. Go figure.
    Last edited by Savage206; March 16th, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: additional info
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. I'm glad your friends are okay.

I find it interesting that the police found .38 shells on the ground. 'Rather unusual.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I'm glad your friends are okay.

I find it interesting that the police found .38 shells on the ground. 'Rather unusual.
    I know right? like the guy reloaded or something...

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Welcome aboard
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

God was definitely watching over them that night. Too bad they didn't catch the dirt bags that did the shooting. Glad your friends are ok!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard. Glad your friends are OK now. Providence.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Something that I have been thinking about lately is the need for medical training to patch the holes. While your friend could not have used his gun that night even had he had one. Knowing how to stop the bleeding what have been a God Send.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Sad, both were lucky, it could have ended much worse? Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Something that I have been thinking about lately is the need for medical training to patch the holes. While your friend could not have used his gun that night even had he had one. Knowing how to stop the bleeding what have been a God Send.
    that's a good point! Maybe I should think about taking some classes or something...not a bad idea at all.

Who could possibly offer classes like that?

Oh, wait...

Tactical Response
    First Aid for Range Officers
    Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

I took SIG's. It was great. Not tactical medicine, per se...it was directed at shooting range accidents; however, when it comes down to it, GSW's are GSW's and pocket trauma kit tucked in your shorts at the range can be the same one you tuck into a man-bag or a coat pocket, so put the white stuff on the red stuff and press really, really hard and don't let go...
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Who could possibly offer classes like that?

Oh, wait...

Tactical Response
    First Aid for Range Officers
    Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

I took SIG's. It was great. Not tactical medicine, per se...it was directed at shooting range accidents; however, when it comes down to it, GSW's are GSW's and pocket trauma kit tucked in your shorts at the range can be the same one you tuck into a man-bag or a coat pocket, so put the white stuff on the red stuff and press really, really hard and don't let go...

This is a new class SUAREZ INTERNATIONAL is offering, sounds to me like it would be just what the Dr ordered!

There is a myth that many people believe. They believe that the authorities will come and save the day if something bad happens. We all know that such a thing is silly to consider, specially when it comes to protecting yourself from a criminal or terrorist. But although that "lack of faith" is very strong when it comes to the notion of "calling the police" to save you among the gun community, that faith is very much there and amazingly very strong when it comes to medical emergencies.

I recall speaking to a police officer some years ago. He was the victim of an assasination attempt. He was working some hot stuff and the heat followed him home. He managed to drop two of the three killers, the third fleeing the scene, but to his horror, his daughter caught a stray round. Even years after the event, you could still feel the anguish in his voice. The paramedics tried, but simply did not get to her in time. That was not in the third world...it was in a modern western nation with the highest of medical standards. Time and time again, we hear of gunshot and knife wound victims losing enough blood to die before professional aid can be found.

So dear student, you have the skills that a special operator would envy. You can draw and shoot with a speed that boggles the mind and with an accuracy reserved for surgeons. But the next time you train, look over to your side and imagine your child, on the deck, shot, unable to breathe and bleeding out. Do you have the simple skills to save her? I will submit that those simple skills will be far more valuable to you right then and there than all the gun classes, all the cool safe queen rifles and all the training sessions you have spent. And I suspect, you would trade all of them to have attended one simple tactical medicine class.

June 4-5, 2011
    TRAUMA MEDICINE FOR THE CCW OPERATOR
    Orange, Texas
    Instructor: Dr. John Meade and Gabe Suarez

This revolutionary class is directed toward the "Average Joe" who may have never even taken a first aid class and certainly doesn't consider himself to be a medically trained special operator. Instead, he is someone who realizes that, just as with his shooting skills, he needs to have skill to help save someone's life, perhaps his own, in the aftermath of shooting or other traumatic events. We call that man the "CCW Operator". He doesn't have a trained medic nearby. He must show the same self-reliance that got him through the initial incident.

This will be a very thorough introduction to how to evaluate and treat gunshot wounds, stab wounds and other traumatic injuries. We will do a great deal of technical work to ingrain the correct skills and then work them extensively via practical training, including force on force exercises and live fire. There has never before been training and information like this offered to the general public.

SOME TOPICS:
    Massive bleeding. What are the options? We will look at everything from direct pressure, to tourniquets, to blood clotting agents. Do you know how to use a tourniquest? How about putting one on yourself, one handed?

Do you know how to open a person's airway, in various positions?

How to splint broken limbs, using real equipment and improvised materials.

How do you move a person to safety, if he can't walk?

Can you do all this, while maintaining tactical awareness, appropriate movement and shooting back?

Included in your registration fee will be 1 trauma first aid kit.

This will be one of the hottest classes available to civilian operators. Want the skills the professionals have without having to go to EMT school? Here it is!

Enroll here June 4-5, 2011 - Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator - Orange, TX

ONLY $375.00
    Price Good Until April 30
    oneshot likes this.

The U-District in Seattle has long been a hotbed for crime.
    I was born and raised in Seattle, but you won't get me back into that city without a court summons nowadays.

Anti-gun billionaires + Low info voters = Passage of Washington I-594

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Bill MO, I'll be at that SI class in Texas. If you're signed up, I'll be pleased to make your acquaintance there.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

CR would like to also meet you, but I will not be able to make it. This year is not a good one for me and training, there are times one has to decide where he spends what little he has. Bama's class and Roger's APSP are two classes I would really like to take. I think both would be will worth the money if only I had any for training.

Hopefully we will meet at a later date. (At least I know what you look like) Cameras always seem to break when they take my picture. Which is fine with me as I don't like them stealing my soul. (They do that you know)

the Suarez Intl. one sounds epic! although if I had my way I would take them all.... :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links