Force on Force and the Enemy of Uncertainty

This is a discussion on Force on Force and the Enemy of Uncertainty within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This article is written by Rick Klopp Suarez International Instructor, I found my FOF class to be very eye opening. Thought I would share Rick's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill MO

Thread: Force on Force and the Enemy of Uncertainty

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

This article is written by Rick Klopp Suarez International Instructor, I found my FOF class to be very eye opening. Thought I would share Rick's writtings on why do FOF.

Facing a living, breathing opponent has many characteristics similar to today’s uncertain economy. Both require finding a crucial balance between the short-term steps needed to handle the immediate threat and the strategy required to influence the long-term outcome. Inasmuch as we can’t control all aspects when it comes to turning around the economy, the same is true of an adversary bent on doing us harm. We do, however, have the ability to influence the outcome and a portion of that comes through defeating the enemy of uncertainty.

Uncertainty is a leading factor in economic viability which tends to diminish consumer confidence. When the media tells you that the economy is in ruins and your intellect travels no farther than the television in the comfort of your living room, it’s safe to say that a level of uncertainty will rise with respect to your consumerism. If in opposition to this way of thinking, you remain open-minded, objective and balanced, you have a more positive and optimistic outlook for the future.

Finding yourself in a situation where you have no alternative other than to defend yourself or those you are responsible for is very similar to the prevailing economic viewpoint. Maybe you think that you can glean enough life-saving information from the Bruce Willis Die Hard series or maybe your confrontational skills have been refined by reading the latest issue of Tactical Guru. Possibly you’ve even taken a defensive firearms class although the sum of your training had only dealt with the stationary components of a gunfight. In any case, you’re no more prepared for “the fight” than you are prepared to face today’s economy. In either case, you’ve permitted a superficial arrogance to weaken your confidence and quite possibly, determine the outcome.

There are a number of circumstances that could come to pass during a lethal encounter and although it would appear that the bad guy is often statistically favored to win, no one can say for sure what the conclusion will be. To appreciate the dynamics of this situation and to best explore your alternatives, a detailed, scripted set of drills and scenarios known as Force on Force training should be undertaken. Throughout this training, you have an opportunity to assess your doubts and reservations and to explore and discover the range of options that are available to assist you in prevailing.

Before any of the detailed aspects of the training can be discussed, you need to evaluate both the curricula as well as those conducting the program. Many schools as well as their instructors have significant and prestigious credentials. Regardless of those recognitions, they often look at Force on Force exercises from only a static point of view. That is, they tend to apply an “old school perspective” to a very evolving and rigorous study. Frequently, the dynamic aspects of a life-threatening confrontation are distilled down to single actions or movements and often from a very stable platform. For example, more time is spent on the drawstroke and “front sight – press” then is spent on moving off the line of attack and accessing your weapon under duress. I’m not saying that the fundamentals should be ignored, but I do believe your training is somewhat deficient without exploring these deeper subsets of learning. In fact, there exists yet another layer of parameters that underlies even the basic mechanical aspects of a gunfight and includes such topics as option selection criteria, fatigue, psychological inertia, environmental considerations, and issues of terrain and physical abilities. Since these parameters are difficult to quantify, they are frequently overlooked in most training venues.

If the attributes mentioned above are not fully supported by the training, then the program may provide an unrealistic evaluation of your overall competence and proficiency. Thanks to the actions of forward-thinking organizations such as Suarez International, Force on Force training is no longer embryonic in character, but rather it is cultivating new ground, covering areas once thought to be “off-limits” or “set in stone” by most. One of the biggest challenges today lies in the area of managing and updating curricula while providing effective and valuable training. Rest assured that at the same time, the industry overseers will continue coming out from behind their modern technique strongholds with criticism after criticism, although for the most part, it’s to ensure their own stability in the marketplace. Today, it’s a very schizophrenic world and the lines are becoming blurred between what is often referred to as “traditional” training and the innovative, novel, and somewhat controversial areas of instruction. As an organization, it is our undertaking to present the facts, no matter how contrary to conventional wisdom they appear to be.

Now that the ambiguity of curricula and instructorship has been settled, let’s move on to how best to describe and evaluate this enemy of uncertainty. One might ask “How important is this enemy and is it really worth discussing?” Some will say “You’re wasting your time meddling with minutia” while others will comment by saying “It is an important part of the big picture.” I will submit to you that it is impossible to answer that from behind the security of your keyboard – you have to experience it for yourself in order to quantify its value. In my opinion, these uncertainties are questions that not only need to be understood – but overcome. The crucible of Force on Force is where they can be evaluated, studied and quantified. The fundamental answer to this question, however, lies within the confidence of your own abilities. Similar to how consumer confidence is a major key to a vibrant economy, personal confidence is the dominant factor leading to a favorable outcome in a time of conflict. That may sound too elementary in nature, but I’ll be updating these thoughts on the Suarez International blog and I invite you to respond.
    azchevy likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I agree, It all changes when someone is actually coming at you before you can draw and or the contact is initiated. Nothing gets the blood going more.

When you reach the higher levels in martial arts training (and I'm talking street defense here, not katas and forms), a great pleasure is when the advanced students are given the instruction: "OK, you guys just go over there and work on whatever you want."

This is were real learning takes place. You can practice trying to draw from concealment against a skilled shoot-fighter, trying to hold off two MMA assailants, being attacked blind from behind, and any permutation imaginable. You can run and re-run scenarios over and and over until you find a strategy that shows promise.

Just speaking for myself, I want my reflexes to be grooved to the point where I can respond way faster than mental processing allows. The moment that an arm is slipping around my throat, a knife is coming out, a BG starts to throw a sucker punch, I want my reactions to be in-motion and correct.

Because my assumption is that I'll most likely never - ever - be in some laughably absurd scenario where I sense a threat and have oodles of time at my leisure to draw from concealment, aim and fire. That's probably not in the cards.

Rather, I presume the BG will have the drop on me, I'll have been sucker punched, they will have set up a situation where the odds are way against me (just as you would do if you were a predator) and so I'll be way behind the 8 ball before the fun starts. You can compensate for these disadvantages by having skills and reflexes that surpass the average.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Force on Force is a great way to learn how to get out of harms way in a hurry. My first demo was Dueling with another at 25 feet. Draw on command and see who gets hit first. Air-Soft is great for this training and you really need to get into a class that does that. You will quickly learn how to get off the X and to cover before the next shots come inbound to you.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

To be Honest, I LOVE IT. I know its not a game, but the adrenaline rush gets me everytime.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sponsored Links