How do You Do a Tactical Reload

This is a discussion on How do You Do a Tactical Reload within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to shoot and IDPA match Sunday and there is sure to be a tactical reload in one or more of the COF's One ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do You Do a Tactical Reload

I'm going to shoot and IDPA match Sunday and there is sure to be a tactical reload in one or more of the COF's

One book i have suggests that you keep you eye on the threat with a round in the chamber, drop your left hand down to your belt/pouch/mag holder and grasp a fresh mag (call it #2) between thumb and forefinger, then raise your left hand with the mag up to your weapon while shifting the mag to a position between your index and middle finger where you catch the first magazine as it is being ejected between thumb and forefinger; you now have two magazines in your left hand and you insert the one (#2) held between the 2nd and third fingers into the mag well and slap it home with your palm, then you drop your left hand back down to your belt, vest or pants pocket, whatever and stow the first mag, then you raise your empty hand back up to the weapon and re-establish your grip and sight picture. (Tactical Pistol Shooting, 2nd ed.)

That's two downs and two ups and you have to simultaneously handle 2 mags in one hand.

How about starting with your normal grip, slide left hand under the mag, drop the mag - you still have a round in the chamber - drop your left hand down to your pocket/belt pouch/whatever and stow the partially used mag, then slide over to your mag pouch and grab a fresh full mag indexing your index finger along the front of the mag and raise it up to your weapon, insert it in the mag well, tap it home and resume your grip.

That's one down and one up and you only have to handle one mag at a time.

Seems to me that the second method is faster and less prone to fumbles. Your weapon has only one round available for a very short time but the whole process is/should be faster.

What are your thoughts??

Using your method vs. the first assumes you have an empty slot somewhere on your belt doesn't it? So if you have two mags, one in gun and one on belt, you require an empty spot to make the exchange as you never have both mags in hand at once. I do the first method... though maybe not exactly as described... However, this only applies to a partially expended mag of course. I have never bothered to catch an empty mag when doing a reload. I simply push the mag release button as I draw the fresh mag up and let the empty fall while I insert the fresh mag.

Your method might be faster if you have the empty mag holder available.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I used to practice a method like the later one, it worked well with jeans, but not so well with slacks or similar pockets. I just kept fumbling to get the mag in the pocket. Still I wouldn't use the mag holster on your belt for the partly spent mag, to easy to confuse with a full one.
    Finally I tend to think that its a interesting skill but not really a useful one, but thats my personal opinion.

Also I pretty much have no feeling in my hands, so it may be different for you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    The way I was taught in the Corps was to drop the mag, stow it in pocket or drop pouch, then draw and insert the fresh mag. It can get clumsy under pressure trying to hold onto both mags AND insert the new one. The way I do it, you still only have one movement with your arm down, and one up.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Both methods are valid.

I tactically reload using the first method and am faster with it than when I use the second method.

Let me put it this way, with the first method your weapon spends less time without a magazine. The second method is easier and less fumble prone.

That's what training is for. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I got this from a video by Ben Cooley of CRTC and I feel it is the most simple one to remember:
    -Using your support hand,Take out a fresh magazine from the holster and place it between your index and middle finger of your weak hand
    -Using your firing hand thumb on the mag release button, release partially spent magazine into the web (between thumb and index finger of your support hand) and hold it there
    -With the fresh magazine between the index and middle finger of your support hand, insert fresh magazine into the magazine well of your pistol.
    -With your support hand, place the partially spent magazine that's held between your thumb and index finger into the magazine holster (if you have no magazine holster, place it in your back pocket (front pocket not recommended since it is more difficult to access partially spent mag if you need it again)
    Last edited by Jason Storm; March 20th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Administrator
    This might help.

^^^^^^
    I've found that to be the fastest for me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've found the tactical reload to be an over used gun manipulation drill mandated by IDPA.

What seems to work in real life is to get thee behind cover. Drop the magazine in the gun, letting it fall to the ground. Insert a fresh magazine and then reach down and pick up the magazine from the ground. remember you are behind cover, so the time saved by attempting to manipulate two magazines with one hand is not all that important unless you are a gamer. Of course this will DQ you from the match, but a gunfight isn't a match.

Biker

JD
    Administrator
    I heard somewhere that IDPA dropped the tactical reload and now just uses the reload with retention....

The tac-reload makes a little bit of sense, but I've never liked having two mags in one hand at the same time, it's just too easy to fumble and if you do you loose TWO mags instead of one and then either have to retrieve one off the ground...which one is full? or get another mag off your belt....what if when you go up with a mag in your hand all ready the mad in the gun is sticking and now you have to really yank on it with another mag in your hand...forget that

I just drop my mag into my hand, stick that in a pocket and insert a new mag and go.

Tac reloads look really neat on TV and such, but I wouldn't waste my time with it...

I see it mainly as an after action, no pressure, activity

The key is to minimize the amount of time your gun is without any ammo. The video is good, right up to the point where the instructor shuffles another mag to the pouch that just held the fresh mag. When you're in a "situation" that part can wait.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I see it mainly as an after action, no pressure, activity
    That's rarely the case when reloading in IDPA is done. real world stuff's a little different, especially if you're part of a team where there are others watching your back.

As a civilian, if I just got done shooting at someone I'm probably going to be a little hyped up and my motor skills aren't going to be the greatest. If I even remember to reload I'm probably not going to try a tac reload.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The key is to minimize the amount of time your gun is without any ammo. The video is good, right up to the point where the instructor shuffles another mag to the pouch that just held the fresh mag. When you're in a "situation" that part can wait.
    If I had a gun with a magazine disconnect, I would favor the tac reload as the gun is inoperable and getting a fresh mag in first would be my biggest priority, as that is not the case I stick with what works best for me. As is always the case some may work the tac reload better or favor it but it's just never seemed to be that much more beneficial to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    As a civilian, if I just got done shooting at someone I'm probably going to be a little hyped up and my motor skills aren't going to be the greatest. If I even remember to reload I'm probably not going to try a tac reload.
    Seeing as it can be done with only one mag in hand at a time and still be called a tac reload, I don't see a problem.

My concern is that the fewer "therbligs" you involve the better. And holding one magazine at a time seems safer and less prone to fumbling than trying to juggle two in one hand at the same time.
    One motion down to srtip and stow the old mag and one motion up to insert the new one is half the therbligs. If you are working under an adrenalin rush in the midst of a match or a shootout, your fine motor skills are likely to be impaired and the liklihood of a fumble may be increased. Is there a really good, evidence based reason that the two movements down and two up method is better???

BUT, JD's POINT ABOUT THE MAGAZINE SAFETY IS, PERHAPS, OF SINGULAR IMPORTANCE. I shoot Glocks, if you pull the trigger it goes bang; some guns will not fire if the magazine is removed. If that's the case, you could be left high and dry once you remove the mag - until you replace it with the ohter mag...
    Last edited by DoctorBob; March 21st, 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: JD's point added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links