Gabe Suarez ?

This is a discussion on Gabe Suarez ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by David III Really? Crossdraw is faster than my hip??? Well, I don't actually know and now I'm wondering about it. As long ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gabe Suarez ?

Quote Originally Posted by David III
    Really? Crossdraw is faster than my hip???
    Well, I don't actually know and now I'm wondering about it. As long as Gabe's stuff makes me rethink my positions, then I believe it's valuable. I may decide that I disagree, but at least I had to go into my head and come up with some reasoning.

One of these days, hopefully I'll get to attend his course.
    I'd love to go to one of his courses- a few cents, each payday....

The A-IWB is interesting, I've played with it quite a bit, recently, and am pretty much a convert. Close-in, its much more natural- a 4:00, behind the hip goes up, forward, cant, and (for me) indexes the gun quite a bit higher. A-IWB is up and in- the tucking to the body and cant are reflexive, and very fast; index on target is COM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Blue Lion,

Sorry but you are way off base!

You don't pay $4-500 to watch some trainer show off! When I took Gabe's (and others') courses we blew thru 7-800 rds in 3 days. The trainer shows you a move and then immediately expects the class to do that move and shoot.

I spent 18 years as a PT PO, qualified 2x/year (same as our FT POs)for most of those years (last few it was 1x/year) and burned up 100 rds/qual. We also shot from fixed positions, never moved while shooting or reloading.

I had a conversation ~6 months ago with a career Lt. Col. and he told me that they (USAF) qualify once every 2 years! and shoot a measily ~50 rds doing so. He joined a local gun club plus took a shooting course with one of these trainers you dis. He told me that they get their real firearms training IN THE SANDBOX AFTER THEY DEPLOY! Now I never served in the US Military, but I think this is nuts! BTW, said Lt. Col. was deployed a few months ago according to a mutual friend.

So maybe during WWII or VN they trained the Military before they put them in harms way, but these days they seem to be "economizing" on bullets and training until they "really need it"!
    Well, in order to keep it civilized when did my military service come into play. Thus, I see that you took the time to read my profile, no problem. But, know this online stuff is always misleading, so don't think you know how, or in what capacity I served this great country because you don't. Now, some veterans can chime in here if they want because not every unit regardless, of USAF, Marine Corp, Army, or Navy or Coast Guard have the same basic training requirements.

Thus, what the Col. is referring to is basic requirements and yes before my AFSC was changed I fired a small amount. But, how things changed quickly when my job changed. I will leave it at that because I do get tired of arm chair commandoes. So, if you read my post Lens you will see that this was simply my opinion and was not gospel. However, if I have offended you I do apologize, but never question what you have not experienced.

Now, being that I currently work as professional counselor what is the real reason you are so defensive. Mods, I do apologize for this post because in all the time I have been on this sight I have never felt so angry. My military service should have never been question because I lost some good friends and continue to honor those that stand on the walls of freedom.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

I'm not taking sides here but, I just reviewed all of the posts by LenS in this thread - and I don't see any posted comment by him that calls into question the military service of any other individual forum member.

I only see a stated opinion that the USAF may not be providing the necessary level of range time these days according to a LT COL that LenS spoke with 6 months ago. That is all I see.

I do not see where any any personal attacks or flames or comments were directed toward any other member that served in the military.

I do not see where any military service to this country by another member was questioned.

So "Can It" & Back On Topic To The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Now, being that I currently work as professional counselor what is the real reason you are so defensive. ... My military service should have never been question because I lost some good friends and continue to honor those that stand on the walls of freedom.
    I agree BlueLion. I was being sarcastic in my preceding remarks to LensS. Its really easy to be taken the wrong way and out of context especially in emails, chat rooms and forums. I have no intention of paying that amount of money for that short of a time period of training. BTW one vet to another "Thanks" for your service.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Blue Lion,

I never read your profile before I posted that and I still haven't. No need, I was NOT addressing you except wrt your comment about paying good money and having someone show off.

I related a story as told to me by the involved party. Not attacking the US Military of any branch and sorry if it was taken that way (by you and others). I probably should not have mentioned prior wars, but I did use the term "maybe" (as I only vaguely recall what my late Father told me wrt WWII and he never had touched a gun prior to WWII or after he left the US Army in 1945).

I am a firm believer in giving our Military whatever training and equipment that they need to stay safe and do their jobs. Although I never served in the Military, I worked 11 years in the "military industrial complex", including working on missile defense systems and nuclear subs as an engineer where I worked daily with the officers and crews of the boats as well as with Adm. Rickover.

So I apologize if I sounded defensive or offended anyone here. It was NOT my intent to do so.

Enough said about this "side topic". Back to Gabe's training . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Enough said about this "side topic". Back to Gabe's training . . .
    Still think the price is to high to train for half week with airsoft.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Administrator
    My Father was in the Navy in War II ~ He never touched a firearm before he boarded ship...and then because he was one ******* lot smarter than I could ever hope to be - they sent him on to work on the refinement of Radio Guided Torpedo systems.
    He never received any "hands on" firearm training though.

I appreciate all who served this country when called - in whatever capacity.

What on Earth does that have to do with this thread?

Please Note:
    Many of the training instructors these days were active military and many were active LEO.
    When the Broad Brush gets yanked out and those instructors/teachers get painted as being nothing more than Overpriced~Show~Offs ~ then you can probably expect some "fall out" and people to respond to that.

It is also modestly insulting to the intelligence of shooters who have signed up for and attended highly beneficial training classes to insinuate that they have done nothing more than chuck $500.00 into the toilet by doing so.
    Many of those people have carefully researched the exact nature of the courses that they have eventually elected to attend and I'm positive that none were dumb enough to have shelled out half a grand just to watch somebody else show-off and shoot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QK, standing down, I never met Mr. Suarez and don't doubt his ability it is just not for me at this time. Side arm, holstered.....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

I'm going to prune this thread back & get rid of all of these off topic posts concerning military service (Including My Own) if this thread does not get back on topic to Suarez International.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    I'd love to go to one of his courses- a few cents, each payday....

The A-IWB is interesting, I've played with it quite a bit, recently, and am pretty much a convert. Close-in, its much more natural- a 4:00, behind the hip goes up, forward, cant, and (for me) indexes the gun quite a bit higher. A-IWB is up and in- the tucking to the body and cant are reflexive, and very fast; index on target is COM.
    Rob -- it's that kind of stuff, like whether A-IWB is faster, that it would be great to see with others and with someone instructing. I've played with it a bit, too, but I only know what I have done and am doing, I don't have the benefit of seeing how others have done. Might be that Gabe's right.... and I may still decide to go with something else (two tied down guns, perhaps ).
    Dave

Lead Moderator
    While I don't don't see the need to take every shooting class out there , for those who only took a basic ccw course may wish to learn more advanced skills and tactics than stand and shoot back.
    Luckily , I have LE training, but am still intrested in honing my shooting skills and tactics. While in my CCW class I saw several people who could have benefited from advanced training in tactics.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    ...While in my CCW class I saw several people who could have benefited from advanced training in tactics.
    In my CCW class, I saw several people who would have benefited from having a brain.

Lead Moderator
    Can't argue with that , seems alot of the people we had including the instructor could have used a reality check.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have to say that these courses (Gabe's, Jim Crews, Randy Cain) . . . from my personal experience with them are all excellent, but they are NOT suitable for a rookie. You need some experience with guns before these courses can really benefit the attendee. Not to mention that gun safety has to be deeply engraved in your brain before you could take these classes without creating a hazard due to the lack of experience and knowledge about gun safety in a fast moving situation.

In the recent course I took this past weekend, everyone in it already had their CCW permit. (CPL for those of us in Michigan. ). Which was a pre-requisite for the course. Now, this was a basic combat course, nothing really fancy, unless you count the close-quarters combat drill as "fancy."

Out of 11 people, only one guy seemed to be either senile, or deaf. I'm not sure which. He consistantly loaded his gun BEFORE the instructor told us to. He came close to getting tossed out of the class for this. But I guess he finally caught on. (FYI, he was under 40 years of age, based on his looks and decent physical health)

Still, I was amazed at some of the people in it. When the instructor wanted us to fire rapidly, as fast as we could, I don't think some of them quite knew what he meant.

I'm of the opinion that maybe, there needs to be some prior explanation of what an instructor means by "as fast as you can." I was emptying my gun in record time. And I'd STILL hear "bang....bang....bang." from this one person, who I think took him to say "as fast as you can and hit the bullseye." Of which I'm certain, (based on his reactions) that he meant "as fast as you can and still hit the PAPER."

I guess that it was basic enough, I should have expected some people to NOT understand everything. Me, I waited ALL the time for the instructor to tell us to load, before my weapon got loaded.

Ah, but what do I know. I'm just a 50 year old, ex-soldier, ex(probably) security guard, with 16+ years experience in carrying professionally. Maybe I'm going senile.........Nah, not yet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links