AAR Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub

This is a discussion on AAR Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub Instructor: Michael de Bethencourt SnubTraining.com Sun, Mar 27, 2011 Bridgeport Shooting Range The class was a small one. Apparently, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By MitchellCT

Thread: AAR Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub

Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub
    Instructor: Michael de Bethencourt SnubTraining.com
    Sun, Mar 27, 2011
    Bridgeport Shooting Range

The class was a small one. Apparently, several people registered, but only myself and one other showed up. I paid for a group class, I got a semi-private for 8 hours.

Yeah. Terrible. I know…somehow, I endured.

I signed up for this class for several reasons. First, I had decided to put my dollars into training with every fighting weapon I have before buying any new guns (on the advice of a Jewish mother who said “What are you buying more stuff for when you don’t use the stuff you already have?”).

Second, because while I have a J-frame, I really don’t like it all that much compared to a pistol. It’s heavy for it’s size, doesn’t hold enough ammo (I’m a capacity whore) and aside for the fact I got it cheap, and it’s a great club that happens to shoot bullets, I’m not enthralled with the little bugger – but other people are, and I needed to see what I was missing. They are one of the most popular self defense handguns around, and granted that doesn’t mean everyone is right…just that I should take my head out of my ...and look at things from another point of view. I may learn something.

Third, the class was 5 minutes from my house.

OK, the class…

It was good. We worked in the classroom first with dry drills using snap caps, grip, manual of arms, reloading loose ammo under time pressure, speed strips and speed loaders. We also went over what gun-smithing was recommended for a self defense revolver.

DOA was recommended over retaining Single Action capability. As statistics indicate the weapon is going to be used in a very close in fight, de Bethencourt feels you give up almost nothing with loosing the SA capability compared with the danger of having a single action capability then being accused of cocking the gun under a negligent discharge theory.

I’m not sure how I feel about that…but I’m chewing on it.

Eagle and Spegel stocks were shown and dam, that’s some nice woodwork. How to modify rubber grips was discussed to.

Speedloaders were learned, HKS, Safariland and SL Variant were shown.
    SL Variant loaders are top of the line…but you will pay for them. However, its only your life, so you decide if it’s worth it.

Various sighting methods were gone over, stressing how you don’t need perfection to be effective with a snub. You need to be on target, but if you are looking for that perfect sight picture, you may be too late.

Then, range time.

Drills were conducted at approximately 9 feet given that statistics indicated 50% of fights will be at 5’ or in, and of the remaining fights, 30% will be at 8’ or closer, with the remaining 20% under 20’.

This is in marked contrast to my usual shooting practice, which is 3x5 or 4x6 index cards at 21’ or further, with any hit/nick on the card being a successful hit.

Again, chewing on that...Practice for what happens most, and you will be prepared for most of what happens.

Drawstroke and reloading were covered, both with loose ammo, speed strips & speed loaders – always under a time pressure. It was stressed to get back into the fight with 1 or 2 rounds in the gun and then reload again over dying with a full gun in your hand because you took too long to play with getting it loaded before you got back into the fight.

A Snub revolver is a compromise weapon compared to a pistol. Accept it. Learn the limitations and how to make it shine…or get something else. Trying to make it something it isn’t will get you killed.

Gear Used:
    S&W M-49 with white-out on the front sight (It’s not Redneck-Tech, it’s stolen office supplies used for training). Revolver performed without a hitch. It was more accurate than I believed it would be.

Holster was a Comp-Tac Pro-Under-Cover. The kydex clip kept allowing the holster to come off my belt at annoying times. It was not secure enough. I would rather have belt loops. If it is easy to put on, it will be easy to take off…or fall off…or come out with the gun…

Ammo was Remington UMC. It went bang when asked to and made holes as requested.

Further observations:

HeadHunter’s (Claude Werner/Director at Firearms Safety Training LLC) 1,000 days of dryfire challenge produces results. A little each day is a lot. It also has the effect of polishing the trigger of my S&W M49.

Skill is what matters. Gear…that’s nice, but it’s all high priced, useless crap if you don’t make it work. And you can’t make it work unless you are willing to take a few minutes every day and practice.

Pure shooting skill, as in marksmanship & 1 hole groups, is less important than being able to run the gun in terms of drawstroke, reloads under time stress, and fast shooting to get rounds on target where you need to get them in time to effect the incident.

Yes, accuracy is critically important…but not if you aren’t shooting in time to save your life. Being put under time pressure and told to perform on command cut my time by 2/3 without increasing group size. My next purchase will be a shot timer.

Dry drills with snap-caps are as important, or more important, than range time if you are serious about using a revolver for self defense.

Overall – Thumbs Up. I would take the class again…and as Mr. de Bethencourt allows people to retake his classes free of charge, I will be doing so in the future.
    JD, azchevy and bps3040 like this.

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks for a review, I found THIS LINK and THIS PRESS RELEASE for the S.L. Speed loaders, I hadn't heard of them before.

Apparently, they are from germany.

They are a solid, well engineered product from what I observed of them in the class. If your reload mechanics are good, they approach "magazine fast" reloads.

If I was going to carry a revolvers (and if Mr. B ever drops his guard near me while he has that slicked out M-12 long enough for me to apply a sap, I will...) I would run 2 speed strips in my left pocket in front, 2 in the left rear pocket, and one or two SL Loaders in a jacket pocket or man-bag.

* The M-12 is a 3 inch, 6 shot DAO snub with a liquid smooth trigger, serated front sight in .38spcl. Simple. Stocks are relieved for use with a speed loader and allow sure ejection of spent brass. It's orgasmic to look at, blissful to dry fire, and while I didn't shoot it...

I want to.

Links