What the devil is an "Admin Reload"? - Page 2

What the devil is an "Admin Reload"?

This is a discussion on What the devil is an "Admin Reload"? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School So he starts off with an empty weapon holstered with no magazine, draws and points down range then inserts a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What the devil is an "Admin Reload"?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    So he starts off with an empty weapon holstered with no magazine, draws and points down range then inserts a fresh magazine and chambers a round and reholsters and that is their definition of an administrative reload is that correct ? The reason I ask is because I do not understand the reason for pointing the empty weapon down range prior to the reload.
    I was at work when I posted that so I wasn't able to review the video to remind myself what was what...

Now that I am at home, I realize I was wrong...I'm reviewing the Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD right now...

Three types of reloads...

Admin
    Tactical
    Speed

Admin is loading an empty gun to put it in service...
    Tactical is topping off a gun with a fresh magazine...
    Speed is emptying a gun to slide lock and feeding it a full magazine...

YouTube - Admin Reload

YouTube - Tac reload

I can't find a YouTube video for their Speed Reload...

To answer your question Old School, if you watch the whole DVD...in the beginning he talks about his preference for every time his gun leaves the holster of going through the motions of full extension and acquiring a sight picture. Basically it's dry run practice every time he comes out of the holster no matter what...
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

The generally recognized definition

I will explain how my agency does it. When firearms are inspected ( we use the Glock-21 and 36) the weapon is left in the holster and the magazine is removed and placed on a table containing a snail bullet trap. The weapon is then removed from the holster and the muzzle placed into the bullet trap. The slide is then racked and locked open ejecting the live round from the chamber. The round is shown to the inspecting officer and placed on the table next to the magazine. After the inspection the pistol is returned to the holster. The magazine is inserted into the holstered pistol. The pistol is then removed from the holster, the muzzle placed into the bullet trap, the slide is pulled to the rear and released chambering a round. The pistol is then placed back into the holster and secured. The magazine is removed, the round originally removed from the pistol is replaced into the magazine and the magazine is then replaced into the holstered pistol.

Administrative unload and reload. This may vary from agency to agency. This came about with my department because of a neglegent discharge during a weapons inspection a few years ago.
    ^^^^ What he said. The You Tube video shows a "slide forward" load, not an Administrative load. If the gun ain't in the holster it ain't "Administrative".

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    ^^^^ What he said. The You Tube video shows a "slide forward" load, not an Administrative load. If the gun ain't in the holster it ain't "Administrative".
    You might want to take another look at what Old school posted. The gun does come out of the holster.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrative, again

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You might want to take another look at what Old school posted. The gun does come out of the holster.
    When the magazine is inserted into or removed from the magazine well the gun is in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    When the magazine is inserted into or removed from the magazine well the gun is in the holster.
    Then please tell me what you think of this..

YouTube - Administrative Handgun Load

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I was a range safety officer for many of day and this one is new to me. I read the post and watched the clip that explains it but frankly, it sounds silly. I guess I'm just getting too old for this craft.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    A traditional Administrative Reload is accomplished while the firearm is holstered.
    The mag release is pressed while the firearm is holstered. The "In Gun" magazine is stripped & replaced with a fully stoked magazine.
    The purpose of an Admin Reload is to be a magazine check & not a firearm chamber status check.
    It is to make certain that there is fully stoked magazine inserted in the firearm mag well while the firearm remains holstered.

Just to clarify, my answer was more in reference to long guns, more specifically M-16s and M-4s, in military parlance.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    To me, and I am just speaking for me, a tactical reload is any reload that occurs during the moment in time when a reload is feasible, that results in your firearm going back to a max ammo loaded capacity. If that moment occurs after you have fired say half a magazine, then that is when that moment to top off occurs.

Cool

" I will explain how my agency does it." "

"When firearms are inspected....."

" This may vary from agency to agency........"

Obviously many different interpetations of the term.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

" I will explain how my agency does it." "

"When firearms are inspected....."

" This may vary from agency to agency........"

Obviously many different interpetations of the term.

OS
    ^^^^^This...^^^^^^
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A traditional Administrative Reload is accomplished while the firearm is holstered.
    The mag release is pressed while the firearm is holstered. The "In Gun" magazine is stripped & replaced with a fully stoked magazine.
    The purpose of an Admin Reload is to be a magazine check & not a firearm chamber status check.
    It is to make certain that there is fully stoked magazine inserted in the firearm mag well while the firearm remains holstered.
    This is what I always thought a administrative reload to be. Old School's description to me would be more of a administrative inspection.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Being you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Then please tell me what you think of this..

YouTube - Administrative Handgun Load
    My introduction to the Administrative procedure previously described was in 1993. It is therefore not new, but clearly not a universal procedure.

So I think he did a slide forward load, then administratively removed the magazine, toped it off, and administratively reinserted the magazine.

But when you are Clint Smith, you can do that and call it whatever you like.
    As a practical matter it don't matter as long as the shooter and the Range Officer calling the line have the same understanding of terminology.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    I guess that is the more modern & revised definition of an Administrative Reload.
    Which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I guess that is the more modern & revised definition of an Administrative Reload.
    Which is fine with me.
    Ive posted this twice.

Paladin, You are right about Clint. LOL. I think he sums it up well. Most LEOs may view it different, but for us civvies CLints way works just fine.
    Last edited by Harryball; April 5th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links