What the devil is an "Admin Reload"?

This is a discussion on What the devil is an "Admin Reload"? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, everybody. Stupid question time. I've just spent a lazy, and quite pleasant, Sunday morning reading here at DC.com and in various other firearms forums ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What the devil is an "Admin Reload"?

What the devil is an "Admin Reload"?

Hey, everybody. Stupid question time. I've just spent a lazy, and quite pleasant, Sunday morning reading here at DC.com and in various other firearms forums and for the second time in as many hours I've read a mention of the "Admin Reload." Google was of little help, so I've decided to come here, lay bare my ignorance, and ask: What the devil is an Admin Reload? How is it different from a "tactical reload" or a "speed reload" (or is it)?
    Thanks in advance for the education.
    Later.
    ArmyJake likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The only time I have ever heard of admin reloads is when for some reason the line in training needs to go cold, and condition 4. Then, when the training is ready to start again, there is an "admin reload." It is for training purposes only, as far as I have ever heard. And really just means loading the weapon again, after it had to be unloaded for a safety/admin reason.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The only time I have ever heard of admin reloads is when for some reason the line in training needs to go cold, and condition 4. Then, when the training is ready to start again, there is an "admin reload." It is for training purposes only, as far as I have ever heard. And really just means loading the weapon again, after it had to be unloaded for a safety/admin reason.
    Oh. Okay - so it's a firing line training term. That makes sense.
    Thanks, man.

Cool

I will explain how my agency does it. When firearms are inspected ( we use the Glock-21 and 36) the weapon is left in the holster and the magazine is removed and placed on a table containing a snail bullet trap. The weapon is then removed from the holster and the muzzle placed into the bullet trap. The slide is then racked and locked open ejecting the live round from the chamber. The round is shown to the inspecting officer and placed on the table next to the magazine. After the inspection the pistol is returned to the holster. The magazine is inserted into the holstered pistol. The pistol is then removed from the holster, the muzzle placed into the bullet trap, the slide is pulled to the rear and released chambering a round. The pistol is then placed back into the holster and secured. The magazine is removed, the round originally removed from the pistol is replaced into the magazine and the magazine is then replaced into the holstered pistol.

Administrative unload and reload. This may vary from agency to agency. This came about with my department because of a neglegent discharge during a weapons inspection a few years ago.
    Naufragia likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I will explain how my agency does it. When firearms are inspected ( we use the Glock-21 and 36) the weapon is left in the holster and the magazine is removed and placed on a table containing a snail bullet trap. The weapon is then removed from the holster and the muzzle placed into the bullet trap. The slide is then racked and locked open ejecting the live round from the chamber. The round is shown to the inspecting officer and placed on the table next to the magazine. After the inspection the pistol is returned to the holster. The magazine is inserted into the holstered pistol. The pistol is then removed from the holster, the muzzle placed into the bullet trap, the slide is pulled to the rear and released chambering a round. The pistol is then placed back into the holster and secured. The magazine is removed, the round originally removed from the pistol is replaced into the magazine and the magazine is then replaced into the holstered pistol.
    Okay - now I get it. I read two references to the "admin reload," both of which assumed that the reader understood the term in context. Well, this reader does now.
    Thanks, Old School, and thanks again, buckeye.

An admin load or similar term typically refers to any loading/unloading while the gun is still in the holster.

I'm glad I don't work with Old School. No offense bro, but damn, what a procedure.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    No offense bro, but damn, what a procedure.

Thanks, crabbys.

There's a great video on YouTube I only saw once and couldn't find again, showing some drill procedures in Mexico the police were doing. And this very expert officer rises up from behind cover, shoots twice at a target, gets back behind cover.

Here's the "administrative reload": He now flips open the cylinder of his revolver, flicks out the two spent shell casings, loads two fresh cartridges and closes the cylinder. Now he's "topped off." That's how you do it with a revolver.

With a semi-auto, you drop the magazine that is "not full," and replace with one that is.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

+1 Admin reloads are great for teaching newbies gun handling at the range and keeping control of muzzle coverage especially in large groups. I would not easily dismiss this teaching tool.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    An admin load or similar term typically refers to any loading/unloading while the gun is still in the holster.

I'm glad I don't work with Old School. No offense bro, but damn, what a procedure.
    Naufragia likes this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    The only thing missing from the term admin reload is somebody's name attached to it.
    Naufragia likes this.

VIP Member
    The responses so far have been LEO/military in nature. This is my Layman's interpretation of the administrative reload.

Where the tactical or speed reload are done under the stress of training or actual confrontation, the administrative reload is basically any reload (various actual proceedures) NOT done under stress. Example would be the reloading proceedure after you have cleaned your gun. Everyone has their own proceedure, but should be accomplished slowly, safely and with all due consideration of ones suroundings.
    Naufragia likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

As I recall, an admin reload is when one tops off their gun with a fresh magazine and a tactical reload is when you run dry and drop the empty magazine slamming in a new one.

Here is a video of Travis Haley of MagPul Dynamics conducting an admin reload...

YouTube - Admin Reload
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    As I recall, an admin reload is when one tops off their gun with a fresh magazine and a tactical reload is when you run dry and drop the empty magazine slamming in a new one.

Here is a video of Travis Haley of MagPul Dynamics conducting an admin reload...

YouTube - Admin Reload
    So he starts off with an empty weapon holstered with no magazine, draws and points down range then inserts a fresh magazine and chambers a round and reholsters and that is their definition of an administrative reload is that correct ? The reason I ask is because I do not understand the reason for pointing the empty weapon down range prior to the reload.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    So he starts off with an empty weapon holstered with no magazine, draws and points down range then inserts a fresh magazine and chambers a round and reholsters and that is their definition of an administrative reload is that correct ? The reason I ask is because I do not understand the reason for pointing the empty weapon down range prior to the reload.
    Yes that is there definition of an admin reload. The weapon pointing down range repetition of the draw stroke and sight alignment. The believe the more you do it, the more it becomes second nature which I agree with. This is Clints take on it.

YouTube - Administrative Handgun Load
    Naufragia likes this.

Double post sorry...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links