Have you had professional......

This is a discussion on Have you had professional...... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, in the past 12 months (explain type(s) of training) Yes April 12th and will go again in September. Professional training. I do this two ...

View Poll Results: Have you had professional training?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in the past 12 months (explain type(s) of training)

64 40.51%
  • Yes, in the past 24 months (explain type(s) of training)

25 15.82%
  • Yes, but some time back (explain type(s) of training)

18 11.39%
  • Yes, Military Training

56 35.44%
  • Yes, LEO Training

34 21.52%
  • Yes, Other Training

40 25.32%
  • No, Never

10 6.33%
  • No, but am planning on taking a professional course (What type(s) of training)

10 6.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you had professional......

Yes, in the past 12 months (explain type(s) of training)

Yes April 12th and will go again in September. Professional training. I do this two to three times a year, and have done so for the last 5 years.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I attended two law enforcement academies and in my current employment we have training and qualifications every three months.

Yes military training, I'm a cav scout in the U.S. Army.

8-hrs training every quater for the past 4 years. Low light, and advanced handgun tactics. Every year I also go to long gun and shotgun classes. Some tactical, some not.

One day defensive handgun class. Years of martial arts.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

I took the re up course for a Texas CHP a few months back.

I got my original training privately from an ex-Army Ranger. It was free because I was going to work for him. Hand to hand, knife, handgun, shotgun, and submachine gun. No rifle training. I don't shoot rifles.

and, yea, you CAN vote in more than one category.
    After many years of consideration, I must regretfully conclude that diversity is our enemy.

I was Military Intelligence and qualified annually with a .45 which was my standard issue sidearm. When I got my carry permit, I took a couple of more courses. Now, I go to the range as often as I can.

I did a weekend course in California in the late 1990s...then attended a couple of courses (1-2 weeks each) with the USMC's Weapons Training Battalion and did another driving/shooting course with ITI in West Point, Virginia...

Would love to take another course, but will probably need to be .mil sponsored being in Germany...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've tried to take a multi-day course every 18-24 months. My last was a two-day point shooting course...1400 rounds in two days, we WERE very busy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Miltary training in the navy, had the oppertunity to take a week long class called fpft. Force protection fundamendal training or soming like that, it was force on force with airsoft M9's to simulate working as a team to clear a vessel (submarine in my case) of terrorists. Training was a blast but we where technicians not full time weapon carriers. I had been shooting for years and years though and i was one of very few guys to score perfect on the pistol qual several times (sometimes the only one) on the USS Miami. We qualified yearly with the m9, m 16, shotgun, and a couple of times i qualified with the mk 46. I was a nuke (nuclear reactor operator/nuclear electronics technician) and was not required to qualify the mk 46 but the ships armorer threw me a bone because he knew i was a gun dork. The mk 46 is a shortened m 249 saw firing beltfed 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    military, and one of the best courses that a marine could go to is the High Risk Personnel course which use to be ran in Quantico VA. they stop running it (damn shame) because a bunch of mamby pamby officers straight from OTC were getting into it some how. but the name is sorta mis representing of the course......it was actually a CC course and taught me a lot. one of the things you had to do IOT graduate was put a single round on target (pie plate) @ 10yds from your holster (concealed) in under 1.7 sec. i got some good vids from that course ........i'll try to upload them later.
    Nick....when did you take the course? I took it in either Apr or May of 1997--I second your opinion--it was a GREAT course. I remember they offered to allow graduates to come back and shoot again during another course on an NTI basis...according to the instructors at the time, I was the only one to took them up on it. I showed up to two days--one day was the fam fire for the foreign weapons.

It was during this course I was introduced to the Benelli M3 Super 90, which I ended up getting a few years later. No one in my class wanted to shoot the shotgun because of the "kick back" LOL.....at the end of the day, they let me burn through a case of 12ga (because they didn't want to turn it in).

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For this interested, Ernest Langdon built that curriculum and I'm happy to say he's instructing again. I took his Tactical Pistol class last fall and it was pretty darn good.
    JD--where is he instructing now? The HRPC course (and the Marine instructor who taught it) is what really kick-started my seriousness in concealed carry and change in mindset.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In the past 12 months: Suarez International's Defensive Pistol Skills, Point Shooting Gunfighting, Close Range Gunfighting. Will be taking SI's Force on Force class in October as well as their Rifle and Shotgun Gunfighting when they are next offered in my area.

Some time back: Tae Kwon Do, Chun Kuk Do (up until about 7 years ago when degenerative disc disease, arthritis, etc. took me out of that game)
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Military and LEO.
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

JD--where is he instructing now? The HRPC course (and the Marine instructor who taught it) is what really kick-started my seriousness in concealed carry and change in mindset.
    He's running courses out of Culpepper,VA I'll send you the link to their schedule via PM.

Lots of military and LE, but I consider myself a novice, as learning skill sets is a never ending process.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links