Have you had professional......

This is a discussion on Have you had professional...... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 I am amazed at the results. THIS group of people are serious. I wanted to do my due-diligence. I ...

View Poll Results: Have you had professional training?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in the past 12 months (explain type(s) of training)

64 40.51%
  • Yes, in the past 24 months (explain type(s) of training)

25 15.82%
  • Yes, but some time back (explain type(s) of training)

18 11.39%
  • Yes, Military Training

56 35.44%
  • Yes, LEO Training

34 21.52%
  • Yes, Other Training

40 25.32%
  • No, Never

10 6.33%
  • No, but am planning on taking a professional course (What type(s) of training)

10 6.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you had professional......

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I am amazed at the results. THIS group of people are serious.
    I wanted to do my due-diligence. I think that being armed and being given the privilege (under current law in my home state) to carry concealed are both TREMENDOUSLY weighty concerns. I believe that it is my duty - to myself and my loved ones - to both understand the firearm(s) I've chosen as well as their accessories, and to furthermore become more than simply proficient in their proper operation.

I try to read as much as I can about the topic and I seek advice - both in-person and on the Forums - from those who are more experienced than I am. I practice by myself. I do not see how this is any different from seeking knowledge and becoming proficient and skilled at anything else in life.

I pay for professional training. I do not see how this is any different than going to school and learning from teachers.

I want to know that I will have the proper knowledge (including of the law) and the right thinking to first be able to avoid confrontations and bad situations, but I also want to have the confidence of knowing that if it ever came to me having to draw my pistol or sling my shotgun, pull my knife - or even grapple on the ground - that I've done everything I possibly can to insure that I will go home or my loved ones will be safe (or can escape).

As with tradja, I truly feel that it's the best money I've spent in this area. I've spent good money on quality firearms. I've invested heavily in good gear. I've dumped a few thousand dollars' worth of my chosen HD/SD ammunition down-range, to insure that they function properly in my firearm and that I'm comfortable with them, and understand their shooting characteristics. I'm not going to cheap-out on training. It's expensive (for me, it's the child-care that gets really expensive), but it's worth it, and to my friends, I'll say to them that I think it's absolutely necessary.

----

Quote Originally Posted by tradja View Post
    I'm not Harryball, but I found the two 3-day Magpul classes I attended recently to be absolutely worth the price. It sounds like it would be really hard for you to get away for a few days, but what about if the kids spent a few days with grandma?
    Thank you for that!

Ah, yes, grandpa and grandma. I truly love them dearly, but unfortunately, their lifestyle also means that it's hard to guaranty that they will be able to help. Yes, when push comes to shove (like when childcare fell through the afternoon of my low-light course, they stepped-in, without any complaint, and kept Anna for much of the day), they're there, but I don't want to overly burden them.

Don't you worry, I'll get there and to TDI, some day. And sooner rather than later, I hope!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Harryball, I watched the Magpul "Dynamic Handgun" DVDs several times before attending my first live-fire class locally.

I found the DVD to have been excellent preparation (given that I actually practiced afterwards, of-course!).

Part of the reason why I got their DVD was because someone who had attended their course said that the DVD was essentially an abstract of the days they spent there. Is the class really that good? worth the price?

I'm still probably a year or two out from being able to attend multi-day away-from-home classes, due to my current lifestyle, but I'd definitely love some intensive two or three-day courses.
    A simple answer for you, HELL YES....... Weapons manipulation at its finest. I would also like to take a course with Rob Pincus. Ive watched some of his DVDs I like what he has to offer.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

RE: Magpul -
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A simple answer for you, HELL YES....... Weapons manipulation at its finest. I would also like to take a course with Rob Pincus. Ive watched some of his DVDs I like what he has to offer.
    Thank you! I will earnestly try. It's too bad my daughter isn't older: I'd love to do a father/daughter.

And yes, Mr. Pincus is on my short list, too. I've watched much of his stuff, and learned quite a lot.

I always think of Pincus with Michael Janich, thanks to The Best Defense. Mr. Janich is also someone whom I'd like to study under. Years ago, a gentleman whom I'd consider a mentor offered me a place in one of Janich's classes, I regretfully declined due to a scheduling conflict. I say regretfully because, to this day, I still think I should have just not slept on that particular weekend, and attended the course instead.

RE: Magpul -

Thank you! I will earnestly try. It's too bad my daughter isn't older: I'd love to do a father/daughter.

And yes, Mr. Pincus is on my short list, too. I've watched much of his stuff, and learned quite a lot.

I always think of Pincus with Michael Janich, thanks to The Best Defense. Mr. Janich is also someone whom I'd like to study under. Years ago, a gentleman whom I'd consider a mentor offered me a place in one of Janich's classes, I regretfully declined due to a scheduling conflict. I say regretfully because, to this day, I still think I should have just not slept on that particular weekend, and attended the course instead.
    Keep up the good work, use the videos as a guid. When you finally get the opportunity to get into one of these classes you will be ahead of the curve. Just be carful not to develope training scars. Your attitude toward Conceal carry is spot on. Most do not even think of training. My best advise is to train to the worst case scenario........
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

^ Again, thank you - your advice will be taken to-heart.

"Training scars" and "training-itis" (one of my friends called it that, I about burst my stomach laughing, all the while realizing how true the word was) are things that I will earnestly try to avoid. Part of my strategy to minimize such potential is to simply train with as many good instructors as I can (although I do have my "home favorite"), so that I continue to keep an open mind to new and different techniques. The other part of my strategy is to try to always keep in-mind that there is a reality - a real event - that is the foundation of any training scenario or drill: that I need to work not towards "success" in the training course, but rather, that I should look for solutions which would, in the real world, be a potentially "better" answer.

In one recent course, the instructor moved us to "hostage" targets: something that strikes close to my heart as I have a daughter. The drill was timed, to give us a little pressure: two shots from the holster, four seconds. I was consistently the first one to finish my two-shot string. So, the instructor calls cease-fire, and walks over to me. He calls the guys over, and points to my target - nice and tight group, center-mass on the BG, just inches above the head of the hostage (a child, in this case). He commends me on my marksmanship, but then asks the obvious question: would I, as a parent, really be taking those shots in the real-world. My eyes snapped wide open - of course not, they were too close to my child's head, what if the target wasn't a static piece of printed poster paper? what if my daughter wasn't holding still, but jumping and struggling against her captor?

It reminded me that I needed to keep things real, that I'm not looking for success in the coursework, but rather, that what I should be trying to do is to push the boundaries of my skill-set so that I can find the places where I make mistakes, and correct for them under the eyes of my instructors and fellow classmates.

[ Oh, and yes, I took a bit more time, and took head-shots to the eye/visor area, thereafter. ]

That's why I pay to get trained.

Thank you, Harryball, for your words of wisdom and encouragement.

In one recent course, the instructor moved us to "hostage" targets: something that strikes close to my heart as I have a daughter. The drill was timed, to give us a little pressure: two shots from the holster, four seconds. I was consistently the first one to finish my two-shot string. So, the instructor calls cease-fire, and walks over to me. He calls the guys over, and points to my target - nice and tight group, center-mass on the BG, just inches above the head of the hostage (a child, in this case). He commends me on my marksmanship, but then asks the obvious question: would I, as a parent, really be taking those shots in the real-world. My eyes snapped wide open - of course not, they were too close to my child's head, what if the target wasn't a static piece of printed poster paper? what if my daughter wasn't holding still, but jumping and struggling against her captor?

It reminded me that I needed to keep things real, that I'm not looking for success in the coursework, but rather, that what I should be trying to do is to push the boundaries of my skill-set so that I can find the places where I make mistakes, and correct for them under the eyes of my instructors and fellow classmates.

[ Oh, and yes, I took a bit more time, and took head-shots to the eye/visor area, thereafter. ]

That's why I pay to get trained.
    Excellent anecdote, and one that many of us can relate to. I appreciate when instructors do what they can to mitigate the limitations of the training environment. We have no kids, but at one handgun class I went to the instructors had us name the hostages on our targets. It seemed a little hokey or even creepy at first, but it was a well intentioned element to the exercise.

With my wife's name literally written on the hostage with marker, I was able to get double-tap headshot hits drawn from concealment in under 2 seconds. Was not able to replicate this before or after with anonymous targets. Interesting drill.

^ Very interesting.......thank you for sharing!

My "home favorite" instructor is very aware of my attachment to my daughter - he thus exploits it to our mutual full benefit: he knows that kids and babies get me going, and I know that it'll likely cause me to make more mistakes (it's happened both on the flat-range as well as in Force-on-Force; the former in one more episode other than what I listed above, and the latter, it actually caused me to hesitate long enough that an "unintended consequence" happened further down the scenario).

Train for the worst, indeed.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I've had training from the military in security, law enforcement, and corrections. Currrently, I am completing SRF-B (Security Response Force-Basic Level) course on my current ship and also recently requalified on the Beretta M-9 pistol and .50 caliber crew served weapon. Also did a 1 week Navy sponsored combat shooting course at the then Blackwater Training Center (called SSEW course). When I also had my first gun, I also took a basic NRA-sponsored handgun safety course.
    Also had prior martial arts training at the FDC Academy (now Linxx Academy=Muay Thai/FMA/JKD Concepts) for about a year back in 1995 as well as the now defunct Norfolk School of Judo and Jujitsu (about over a year of jujitsu) in 2000.
    Also attended a 2-day Level 1 Hand/Stick/Knife/Gun Close Quarters Combatives seminar hosted by W. Hock Hochheim back in 2003.
    Speaking of SRF-B course required for sea duty, I passed the final test last Thursday. It consist of different stations, 30 min. each, with the exception of the MACH 2 takedown station. Here is what the test consist of:
    Station 1=Instructor sprays OC on my forehead
    "2=MACH 2 takedown utilizing verbal commands
    "3=Hit pads utilizing forward and reverse strikes with padded stick replicating the ASP straight baton.
    "4=Hit pads coming at you utilizing the rear thrust and forward thrust with the padded stick
    "5=stick defense against someone hitting you from different angles (high block/low block/left block/right block)
    "6=face the Redman using your padded baton
    "7=MACH 2 takedown on the Redman utilizing verbal commands

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    SRF-B Course Outline:
    -IED familiarization
    -gun retention
    -tactical movement and room clearing
    -color codes of awareness
    -OC familiarization
    -small arms/crew served weapons familiarization/weapon conditions of readiness
    -Threatcons
    -warning shots familiarization
    -vehicle search familiarization
    -bomb search familiarization
    -ASP expandable baton tactics familiarization
    -unarmed defensive tactics (even include strikes using all 8 limbs)
    -searching suspects or personnel
    -security watchstanding procedures and preplanned responses

I have had military, LEO and professional training. Not since moving to Indiana, mainly because i am pretty disappointed in the quantity, quality and availability of ranges and training in this state compared to the Memphis Tennessee area. But the search continues....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For this interested, Ernest Langdon built that curriculum and I'm happy to say he's instructing again. I took his Tactical Pistol class last fall and it was pretty darn good.
    Thanks to JD hooking me up with Ernest Langdon's contact information, I am now registered for his upcoming Tactical Pistol class later this month. Will post brief AAR when completed.

Thanks again, JD.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dss07 View Post
    Thanks to JD hooking me up with Ernest Langdon's contact information, I am now registered for his upcoming Tactical Pistol class later this month. Will post brief AAR when completed.

Thanks again, JD.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links