Did some low light training

This is a discussion on Did some low light training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did some low, no and strobe light training last night. Things I learned. 1. Don't pay attention to where your flashlight is shining, as long ...

Thread: Did some low light training

Distinguished Member

Did some low light training

Did some low, no and strobe light training last night.

Things I learned.

1. Don't pay attention to where your flashlight is shining, as long as the target is lit up don't worry where the "beam" is pointing. Illuminate and engage.
    2. After you fire, make sure you turn off your light and MOVE.
    3. You better have blind reloads down pat, and know what you are going to do with your flashlight if you have to reload or clear a malfunction.
    4. Night sights are useless. Looked great at low ready but I never even saw their pretty green glow when engaging.

We first started out shooting a 6 round course at 7 yards in low light. When the target engaged us we illuminated, fired two rounds, turned off the light, moved, re-illuminated, fired two rounds, light off, moved, etc... at the end of 6 rounds we had to do a reload (only loading 6 round mags) and hold our target.

After I fired my first shot my slide locked back (still not sure why, never had an issue when doing one handed drills) and when I went to automatically tap & rack, I quickly had to figure out what to do with my light (turned off at this point). I had a reload plan all set (light stuck under arm) so it took me a second and went with that, tap/racked and got back in the fight. So when it happened AGAIN on the second course of fire (different mag) I was ready for it and had no hesitation clearing the malfunction. I had planned for a reload but the slide locking back while holding a flashlight made me think quickly on my feet. Just shows the importance of mentally having a plan and then practicing it.

Never had that issue again as we did another another set of 12 and then a set of 6 in almost darkness and then one set of 6 under the blue and red strobes with no flashlight.

Out of 36 I had 34 center mass with 2 just left. It was fun, but hard! Those decent groupings I can hit in broad daylight go all to hell. But it's not about tight groupings anyway, it's about hitting your target to stop the threat.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; April 15th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

interesting comment about the night sights. I was planning on picking some up. I guess I might want to try them out first....thanks for the breakdown!
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage206 View Post
    interesting comment about the night sights. I was planning on picking some up. I guess I might want to try them out first....thanks for the breakdown!
    Well that's just my take but I talked to a couple of others in the class and they felt the same way. It's for a couple of reasons. In darkness they are nice and bright, once the flashlight was brought into the equation they get washed out, plus the fact you are doing combat shooting you don't have time to sit there and try to pick them up, lights on, quickly bring gun onto target, fire shots, lights off, and you are moving watching the target, not really looking at the sights at that point. I supposed if you were taking 25 yard shots in the dark and have time to set up a perfect sight picture they would help, but that's unlikely. Plus with the flashlight and muzzle flashes you're eyesight is pretty screwed up anyway. It could be just me as I tend to just focus on the outline/edges of the front sight normally anyway when I'm combat shooting. The only time I saw them was before engaging at low ready and then after when I was holding and you had time to relax and take a good look. Maybe if it was a bigger vial of tritium it would stand out more, but I think maybe a Big Dot or at least very brightly colored sight might stand out better in these types of situations. But since all my guns have a standard style front blade thats what I'll stay with and train with.

If you do have the opportunity to try them out I'd do it. Like I said if you do slow fire I'm sure they could help but to just come up on target, illuminate, and fire 2 rounds in under 2 seconds I don't think they will be all that beneficial.

21 yards or 21 feet?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member
    Feet, sorry... 7 yards. See what happens when I don't proof read.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Very helpful. My CWP instructor suggested the painting the sights (at least the front sight) 'titanium white'- it's supposed to reflect moonlight very well, but I haven't tried it yet.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

At seven yards, I don't usually use sights at all, unless going for a precision shot.

VIP Member
    I have shot a few action pistol matches in low light/dark. I found it very hard to shoot well and get a proper grip while holding a flash light. Reloads just plain suck.

I decided to go with a weapon mounted light on my HD pistol for these very reasons.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    At seven yards, I don't usually use sights at all, unless going for a precision shot.
    Oh, there is definitely no lining up the sights for a proper sight picture that close, it's just looking at your target pulling the gun up into view and covering it with the front sight, and bang.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have shot a few action pistol matches in low light/dark. I found it very hard to shoot well and get a proper grip while holding a flash light. Reloads just plain suck.

I decided to go with a weapon mounted light on my HD pistol for these very reasons.

We don't have the option for a weapon mounted light, but we were using the Harries technique, that is shooting hand over non shooting hand and wrists locked and it's not that bad.

That's pretty much true, unless you're shooting half hip.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's pretty much true, unless you're shooting half hip.
    We did some of that earlier in the week as well.

Links