Laser sighting for CCW - SD

This is a discussion on Laser sighting for CCW - SD within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by madmike Many of the CT laser sites do have a "master" on-off switch. The model that fits the G23 and some other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser sighting for CCW - SD

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    Many of the CT laser sites do have a "master" on-off switch. The model that fits the G23 and some other Glocks do not, as they felt it would be too bulky.

mm
    Ut-oh... Does anyone have knowledge of whether the CT grips for a glock 26/27 have a master on/off switch??

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Cant help much since i have little use of the technology , but i would specualte that anywhere 7 to 10 yrds " shoot the dot " would be fine out to 25 or so with a bit of holdover .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I set my grips so they would be on top of the sight picture at 40-50 feet. Lasers are more for sight picture confirmation than primary sighting system. Snubbies don't have night sights, so the LGs are the next best thing.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The downside of the Lasermax units is that while they don't have to be adjusted, they also can't be adjusted -- so you get what you get. While the laser is in line with the bore, it is below the bore axis and the bullet doesn't travel in a straight line so... You still have to do a little guesswork as to where the POI will be in relation to the laser dot.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

floridaguy911,

Per the CT web site, none of the Glock series has the master on-off switch. The moment you get a firing grip on the weapon, the laser comes on.

Some see this as a problem, some of us do not. I tend to see not having to make a move to "turn it on" as a selling point, rather than a problem. "Instant On."

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I have CT's on all my pistols, except my P3AT (tried a "PocketSlipper" for it, but didn't like the gripping feel) and my NAA .22mag (which I don't CCW).

It doesn't make a lot of difference if you've got a "master switch" or not. The laser doesn't come on (& the battery isn't used) unless the activation switch is pressed during the normal gripping action. After you've handled it awhile, it's pretty easy to deliberately not grip tightly enough to activate the laser. The master switch is more (my opinion) for shooting contests that don't allow laser use - just flick the switch & you are good-to-go with normal grip & just iron sights.

Forget that BS that LaserMax says about a flickering laser saving the battery power - these batteries last dam-near forever & cost almost nothing. CT has been running a "free batteries for life" thing for the last couple of years; it's a good marketing tool - it ain't costing them diddly to replace batteries.

Assistant Administrator
    One other use I make of the master switch - seems worth adding.

On my SIG CT grips, there is a pressure pad each side (suits ambidexterous) - and I did find if I lay the gun down in safe or elsewhere at all carelessly, that pad can actuate from weight of the gun, when loaded in particular.

So - while my EDC 226 is permanently enabled, the 228 and 220 when ''resting'' - will be shut off to avoid unwanted battery depletion.

It did happen once which is why I do this now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

MadMike

Instant on -is a selling point for me by all means. Like stated before if an immenent danger comes my way and i have to use the gun, my finger is going directly to the trigger with no pit stops in between. I simply wanted to be able to turn off the CT sometimes to measure my realistic aim vs. with the grips.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Understood.

But with the CT for the Glocks, all you can do is to learn that "loose grip" method to keep the laser off, or you could just remove the batteries.

The "loose grip" thing isn't hard at all, and the grip really isn't all that loose, either. Just enough to keep from activating the pressure switch.

Many gun shops have displays with both the CT and LaserMax set up on "blue" guns. You can try the lasers that way and see what it it like.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links