Laser sighting for CCW - SD

This is a discussion on Laser sighting for CCW - SD within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK guys, help me out here: Since it hasn't been brought up yet, at what distance, do you sight in your laser sights for CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser sighting for CCW - SD

OK guys, help me out here:

Since it hasn't been brought up yet, at what distance, do you sight in your laser sights for CCW - Self Defense? (on a semi-auto, if that makes any difference )

And while you're at it, what would be the downside to sighting too close, or too far, away?

(For obvious reasons, I'm gonna use whichever of your comments makes most sense to me.)

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    If I had one I would sight it in for about 10 yards, since I believe that a laser is of more use for longer range shooting than for up close.
    For within a few yards I would reley upon point shooting/target focused methods.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Ballistics being what they are >>given your bullet is traveling at a very slow velocity>>and the ranges will be extremely close(even 25yds is close)>>and a person is not able to hold a pistol or revo very steady(put on the laser,aim it at a 3" dot at 10yds., and try to keep it from leaving the dot while dry firing)>>my "zero" would be 5-7 yards. Given this, how much higher or lower would(could) the POI be at 3,15,or even 25yds given the shooter does their job.

Us handgun shooters have to keep in mind that ballistics for us is pretty easy. Hopefully,none of us will be targeting a eyeball or a shirt button. COM should be the norm and, "if ya gotta", a human head is still a huge target given the ranges that we SHOULD be fightin' at.

A .308 at 500-700yds. is a different matter altogether.-------

Assistant Administrator
    On CT grips such as I use on semi's and revo's - there is a parallax effect due to emitter being to side of barrel axis.

I find tho if I adjust mine for a nominal 7 yard (21') good POI then in effect errors from this are small within the 3 yard to 15 yard even - have yet to really stretch things to 25 yards but still expect adequate hits would be possible - too lazy to do the math!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What I would do is set the laser at a distance equal to the length of one or two rooms in your home which is approximately the same as mentioned by most others, 7 -10 yards.

Now don't forget what we've told you----Amnesia Wes
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

I use the CT laser grips on my G23. One problem I have is that with my vision, I have in "interesting" distortion, with or without my glasses that often has me seeing a blurred or even double front site. (I'm looking into surgery to see if this will help with this.)

As Chris said, the laser emitter is below and to one side of the bore. But on mine, that distance in either direction is less than the bore diameter. Taking into consideration my ability to accurately fire the weapon is less than the weapon's capability, that amount of offset is nil.

Rather than figure out the parallax difference at different ranges, I'm picking a mid-range distance and setting the laser to paint the target relative to the bullet print, as close to the actual center of the bore distance from the laser emitter as possible.

I can't quite recall the actual distances at the moment, but the range I shoot at has target positions of 3 yards, 10 yards, and 25 yards. I've already "eye-balled" the laser for the 10 yard distance. (Yes, with those same flawed eye-balls with the built-in distortion!)

At the 3 yard target, I don't use the factory sites, and I ignore the laser. At that range, I "point shoot," or use "instinctive" shooting quite well. It is at the longer ranges that I need the sites.

As soon as I can, I'll be at the range confirming my laser setting. I'll have the tools with me to fine-tune the setting. Even thought many speak out against laser sites, I realize they don't have my eyes, and I'll NOT give up my CT laser anytime soon.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

This is why I went with a lasermax. there is no sighting in required. It alines with the bore.

I almost went with the LaserMax, myself. And the smaller amount of parallax was the reason I liked it.

The reason I decided to go with the CT was that it didn't require what looked to be an awkward movement to switch it on. I imagine with a little practice, that wouldn't be quite so awkward, but the "instant-on" of the CT is what finally sold me on it.

So instead, I had to practice drawing and aiming without turning the laser on, as I can see where there could be a reason not to use the laser until a split-second before firing. And with a little practice, I've found that to be quite easy.

Seems that just about everything involves some sort of compromise.

mm

Im considering getting CT for my G27 vs. the lasermax for that same reason. When imminent danger is upon you, when are you going to have the extra time just to find the IR -on button? I know my finger is going directly to the trigger and no pit stops in between. That is why I believe i will have CT on my weapon in the next seven days. Although, one thing i did not like, but it did not change my mind, was that you cant turn them off permanently unless you remove the sights altogether as far as i know. I do think they would be a great tool in a time of possible panic and certain adreneline rush.

-By the way. I wasnt aware you even had to "sight in" Crimsons? I thought they all traveled paralell to the slide?

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Senior Moderator
    By the way. I wasnt aware you even had to "sight in" Crimsons? I thought they all traveled paralell to the slide?
    Not exactly. They come with an itty bitty allen wrench (1/16" I think) to fine tune your point of impact.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    you cant turn them off permanently unless you remove the sights altogether as far as i know.
    All my sets (3 revo and 3 semi) have master switches. The revo grips the switch is in butt of grips and semi's (SIG's) switch is bottom right of left grip panel.

Mine stay on all time with carry gun - only switched off for gun not in use.
    By the way. I wasnt aware you even had to "sight in" Crimsons? I thought they all traveled parallel to the slide?
    Well yes they are effectively parallel but - the slight parallax that occurs due to emitter being to right and slightly below bore axis means a small tweak sometimes needed, to suit your chosen range - to gain coincidence of POA with POI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob, that Allen wrench is actually a diminutive 0.028" deal! . To anyone using them - just make sure they engage fully, and adjustment increments are usually in my experience very minor indeed - tiny bit at a time.

I sighted all mine before range by having a laser target at 21" and making dot coincide with POA - on the range this was all but spot on in most cases - assuming of course gun is correct with its irons in first place.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

very interesting. thanks Chris. i was not aware of a master on/off. Even better.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Senior Moderator
    Bob, that Allen wrench is actually a diminutive 0.028" deal!
    I knew it was small. I dropped one in the grass here at the house when a friend of mine installed one on his 226. I nearly panicked.I got lucky and found it in a few minutes. Thats less than a 1/32" allen which is 032.

Stuff that small ought to be against the law...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Go figure.. they couldnt just make it in 1/32" huh. Shocker. ********!
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Many of the CT laser sites do have a "master" on-off switch. The model that fits the G23 and some other Glocks do not, as they felt it would be too bulky.

Put the batteries in and the laser is activated when you have a good firing grip on the weapon. The switch is pressure activated and is located in the grip, where the web of the hand between the thumb and trigger finger contacts the grips.

A "relaxed grip" will let you handle the gun without turning the laser on.

mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links