Drawing a 1911 - Page 2

Drawing a 1911

This is a discussion on Drawing a 1911 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zacii The safety is off as soon as I rotate the muzzle downrange. This. And this is the only thing that really ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Drawing a 1911

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    The safety is off as soon as I rotate the muzzle downrange.
    This.

And this is the only thing that really differs in drawing a 1911 (or a BHP, Sig SAO, etc.) vs any DA gun.

Somewhere between coming out of the holster and orienting on the target. Probably "asit rotates on target" is the best description for me.
    FiremanPaul likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Just before you throw it...uh maybe thats for hand grenades,
    Seriously I carry a 1911 and my safety doesn't come off until the barrel is extending out from body,trigger finger is still straight along slide
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My safety (ambi) comes off as soon as it leaves the holster and then my trigger finger goes into the trigger guard as it is brought up to the target so I can shoot from close retention if needed. Close retention works in close quarters and if you have not practiced close retention you are in for a learning experience that is taught in a "Gun Fighting School" that operates in a 360 degree environment and is safer than a square 180 degree range. Me, I like 360 degree ranges where all guns are loaded at all times and holstered when not shooting. I also get to build trust with my next door neighbors by observing what they are doing during drills. I already have trust in what I can do. In the last year I have taken 4 Gun Fighting Classes and have learned a lot of material that is in-grained into me.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links