Drawing a 1911

Drawing a 1911

This is a discussion on Drawing a 1911 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of a video or anything that shows how to properly draw a 1911? Really just wondering at what point does one disengage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Drawing a 1911

Drawing a 1911

Does anyone know of a video or anything that shows how to properly draw a 1911? Really just wondering at what point does one disengage the safety.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Well, draw-step is grip/chest, pull, rotate (this is when I was taught to disengage safety), 'bring together', extend. When I was carrying my .357, I didn't worry about safeties. But, with my .45, I disengage when I rotate.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'm no expert, but I just purchased a Colt Defender. I am new to CCW and I wanted to get some professional training before I built any bad habits. My instructor told me that there are 2 basic ways to draw and release the safety. the first, and the one that I am currently practicing with is upon removing the gun from the holster, in one smooth motion, point the gun downrange toward the target and simultaneously disengage the safety. His reasoning, you have the weapon almost instantly ready to fire, should the situation call for it. The other method, is to remove the gun from the holster, and continue into your two handed grip and release the safety as you extend the weapon.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I hope to take a class in the near future, but would like to do a bit of practice now to familiarize a bit more. The input is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I hope to take a class in the near future, but would like to do a bit of practice now to familiarize a bit more. The input is appreciated.
    Not sure where in Ohio you are,But if you Check you local Gun shops you should be able to find a handgun 1 class then take a handgun 2 ...

If your near Michigan i can get you to a class at the range i shoot at.
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

One problem with waiting to extend to release the safety, is if you have to fire from the hip, immediately on drawing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    lots of folks have different variations. Here is the basic draw as taught by Front Sight:

step 1: Gun hand to grip, support hand-fingers extended, palm flat against midsection:

Step 2: draw weapon straight up;

step 3: rotate (pivot) weapon up to horizontal (elbow coming down in back):

step 4: extend weapon hand forward (against your side), slide support hand across midsection to join gun hand--at this point, the muzzle is slighty forward of your chest (in a close-retention hold) and as the two hands grip the pistol, the safety is disengaged, and in a smooth motion, continue to present the weapon, either at the low ready or pointed in at the target...... If pointing in to the target, the trigger finger is on the trigger and slack is being taken up.......

hope this helps.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

This video isn't specifically for 1911s, but hope it helps!

YouTube - Drawing Lessons : How to Draw a Gun

I essentially do it how Chaplain Scott explained, except I disengage it as soon as possible. For me, I get a good grip on it, pull it straight up towards my armpit, and as I'm pulling it out, I bring my thumb over and disengage the safety and complete the grip. My particular holster doesn't allow me to easily get a complete grip on the gun, so I end up scooping it with my thumb hooked over the rear sights and slide my thumb over once its out of the holster.

I practice it this way for the reason Guantes mentioned; In a defensive situation where you need to fire from the hip, you will have practiced sweeping the safety off immediately. I figure if people carry guns without safeties, its no more dangerous disengaging it sooner than not having one at all, except for the lighter trigger pull, but you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to pull it anyways.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

When my Kimber left the holster, the manual safety was off...all one move...muscle memory. That's what worked for me.
    RemMod597 and Snider like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

retsup99 +1
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When my Kimber left the holster, the manual safety was off...all one move...muscle memory. That's what worked for me.
    Same here just one smooth move.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    In step 2 above. As it comes out of the holster in one smooth action. That way if you're engaging at contact range, when you rotate to #3 you can fire from the hip if need be. Remember your rules of gun safety at all times.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Administrator
    FiremanPaul likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is off as soon as I rotate the muzzle downrange.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    rotate the muzzle.....as soon as the bbl clears the holster (and you need to take a snap shot) the safety comes off as your trigger finger enters the trigger guard.

I'm gonna back track here cause situational awareness historically reduces the times that a gun must be drawn to about 1/3 of all encounters.
    and of the times it is drawn, less than half require that it go past low ready.

those seeking to do you bad have all day to find a mark. so if you are aware and maintain eye contact many events will never occur cause most BG's think along the lines of--there are two types of people who do not break eye contact, LEO and other bg's. carry your self like a alpha and they will notice. they don't want a fight; they want your money and have all day to find someone who is not paying attention. some BG"S are just looking for a fight or stupid ( i mean stupid for a crook, not that a crook is stupid---most aren't). if you all ready have your hand on your secondary (perhaps a 642 in your weak side coat or vest pocket) than as the BG tries to approach, letting them have a glance at your strong side gun as you place your hand on it most often results in them finding an urgent need to be elsewhere. if you must draw, and draw past low ready, the safety comes off and than you may ask them ( they are still there??) "leave or be carried--your choice"

not being caught unaware is the most important thing. 99.44% of the time action beats reaction. remember Hill Street Blues? BE CAREFUL OUT THERE
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links