Dead of night alarm clock drills with airsoft, thoughts?

This is a discussion on Dead of night alarm clock drills with airsoft, thoughts? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this whole idea might get me roasted good for suggesting, but I'd like to see what folks here think. I had a thought in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dead of night alarm clock drills with airsoft, thoughts?

Dead of night alarm clock drills with airsoft, thoughts?

Well, this whole idea might get me roasted good for suggesting, but I'd like to see what folks here think.

I had a thought in a post on the home sd megathread poll;
    A poll; your HD weapon of choice

That post quickly got me thinking about putting together a set of four plastic catch-bins that can mount on the back of folding chairs to be nearly man-height, and put paper targets on them. My wife could put them into random positions around the house after I turn in, and she could set an alarm to a time I am not informed of.

I would pop up with the alarm, grab a loaded airsoft gun and my flashlight, and go room clearing; the goal being to fire three rounds at each paper target, and keep moving until all targets have been fired on three times. Then go back and review, to see if I am capable of accurate shooting in the dark, while still in whatever fog of sleep I find myself, etc.

Any thoughts as to ways this might be either improved, a bad idea all around, or just silly? It sure is a cheap plan, and I tend to think it would be a good test case to get a feel for my proficiency after waking from a dead sleep.

2. Remove Ads

Go out and buy Thunder Ranch Defensive tactics. Then try some drills. You should also take the time for professional training. You do not want to develop training scars.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Go out and buy Thunder Ranch Defensive tactics. Then try some drills. You should also take the time for professional training. You do not want to develop training scars.
    What Harryball said. What you're suggesting is analogous to going out to teach yourself how to play golf. It's much easier to learn a new skill properly, when you don't have to unlearn bad habits.

I may not currently be able to afford professional training, but I suspect it will find it's way into my priority list soon here. Thank you for the resource suggestions guys, much appreciated!

Murphy says the night you do this, real bad guys would make an entrance and laugh as you pelt them with airsoft pellets.

As others have said, get real training in concepts, the only thing you will gain by doing it yourself is a false sense of readiness. Chairs with targets don't usually move and plan on how to kill you just as bad guys usually have a reluctance to standing still while you sight them in.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    even in your own house, things look different in the dark with a flash light. the arm of a coat half out of a closet or a cabinate ajar take on a different apperance, as do their shadows. depending how long you have lived in the house you will have a muscle memory of it: how many steps down the hall, how many stairs, the location of every switch and door knob. if you have children, than going to bed routine will include ppicking up their toys--better than slipping on them in the dark. think it through using just a flash llight before you try it with a 'gun'. check out radio shack for inexpensive remote light controlers. than you can light up the far end of the house ( and back light a possible BG).
    formal classes are most always the first answer. though there is some prep work can be done before. good luck to you and yours. as an aside i do not like rail mounted lights cause it may be your toddler that is in the light.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Do you have kids? What if one of them is up at that time getting a drink from the fridge? Just a thought.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Do you have kids? What if one of them is up at that time getting a drink from the fridge? Just a thought.
    I do, but they are still in cribs (upstairs). I have no pets to worry about pelting either. It did cross my mind that it would be alarming to any neighbors, but I tend to think my neighbors are a lot less observant than that.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Murphy says the night you do this, real bad guys would make an entrance and laugh as you pelt them with airsoft pellets.

As others have said, get real training in concepts, the only thing you will gain by doing it yourself is a false sense of readiness. Chairs with targets don't usually move and plan on how to kill you just as bad guys usually have a reluctance to standing still while you sight them in.
    Hehe, no doubt it would be the night that I find an actual BG in the house. Yikes, what a mess that would be.

I imagine I should have qualified this post a bit better by pointing out I'm merely curious how accurately I can hit paper after waking up from a dead slumber. I don't pretend to think this will prepare me or train me to appropriately respond to a home invasion, but it would be an interesting test of theory I should think. You guys certainly make a valid point though, I need to pursue actual training and read up on what correct tactical things to do.

I know it will also likely be laughed at, but paintball is an enlightening sport when it comes to appreciating just how easy it is to get shot, and how hard it can be to put paint on an opponent. I've played a fair amount of urban scene paintball, I do appreciate the angles and low light effects involved in some of this stuff, but haven't trained in scenarios that include real firearms along with the noise level, actual bits and pieces of my home flying about my face and drywall/plaster dust billowing through the room as I fire through soft corners. It's nothing like a real indoor firefight, I appreciate that my little scenario test run is a far cry from mimicking the real deal.

I am going to throw this out there, clearing your house at night by yourself is an awful idea. You say that you have small children, your plan should be to clear your way to them, and then barricade yourself with them in one of their rooms, call the cops, and wait and let the paid professionals clear the house.

Clearing urban structures by yourself is not a good idea, as it is a defender's dream. So figure out the best way to secure your loved ones, and then hunkering down, is the course of action I would prefer.

I have lots of CQB training, on how to clear rooms and structures and all of that, and real world experience doing it, and I would not even think about trying to clear a whole structure with BG's in it by myself, unless completely necessary.
    TVJ, Bark'n and Secret Spuk like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I say good idea. Report back.

A better training set would be if your wife sets the alarm on random evenings...not ones that you could anticipate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I am going to throw this out there, clearing your house at night by yourself is an awful idea. You say that you have small children, your plan should be to clear your way to them, and then barricade yourself with them in one of their rooms, call the cops, and wait and let the paid professionals clear the house.

Clearing urban structures by yourself is not a good idea, as it is a defender's dream. So figure out the best way to secure your loved ones, and then hunkering down, is the course of action I would prefer.

I have lots of CQB training, on how to clear rooms and structures and all of that, and real world experience doing it, and I would not even think about trying to clear a whole structure with BG's in it by myself, unless completely necessary.
    This right here....Dam good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

exactly, clearing the house is a bad idea. Plus you can practice protecting your wife and kid with this idea. I would tell her to set the alarm sometime from now or the next few months. So your plan isnt fresh in your mind.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Or because this is the only scenario you have practiced you may find your only response in all scenarios is to ventilate profiles of people. What if it's your kid who snuck out on a Saturday night and is now senaking back into the house who made the noise? What if you woke up, decided not to wake your wife, and then you made the noises that woke her up and now she's on the hunt for anything moving?

RKM
    I think it would be fun to try! As far as actual training, It's better than nothing. It'd give you an idea of how being awakened in the middle of the night trying to react may be like. Other than that, it's not comparable to formal training, something I admit that I certainly lack. But like I said, I think it'd be fun to try to give you an idea of how something could unfold. Other than that I agree with NC Bullseye says... don't let it give you a false sense of readiness. But we can't ever be 100% ready for everything. If so, fight your way to the kids and that's that.

Thinking or clearing my entire house by myself in the dead of night sounds scary. Something I never want to do, even if I was trained to do so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links