Tactical Defense Institute (TDI) Reviews Wanted

This is a discussion on Tactical Defense Institute (TDI) Reviews Wanted within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering taking a couple of courses at Tactical Defense Institute this year - particularly, the snubbie course and the handguns 1-3 course. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tactical Defense Institute (TDI) Reviews Wanted

VIP Member

I am considering taking a couple of courses at Tactical Defense Institute this year - particularly, the snubbie course and the handguns 1-3 course. I am curious if anyone has taken either of these courses and what your impressions of the quality of their education/training is. I appreciate your responses.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

JD
    Administrator
    I just came back from Pistols II & III, took them last weekend, I am in the process of writing up the review. To sum it up, GO!

Senior Moderator
    I know you didn't ask about the TDI Defensive Knife Course but I took that in Dec and was supposed to take Handgun II & III two weeks ago but couldn't because of health issues.. JD went though and will be posting soon.

However, I got to meet a lot of the instructors, see the facilities, get to talk to John Benner a little more and when we went to SHOT in January we also got to meet another instructor and I am facebook friends with a few of their instructors, Greg Ellifritz and Clay Smith.

Go! GO! GO!!

They are a great facility. Very knowledgeable, careful but also not egotistical (at least not the instructors I have met). Very practical and great teachers.. which I think is most important. Someone can be a good shooter but if they can't teach or impart knowledge than it doesn't do you, the student, much good.

What I also love is that if you have any questions (even before you go) you can call or email or contact any instructor individually and I've not met a single one yet who wasn't eager to help, answer questions and get you comfortable.

I took the knife class in Dec and I'm STILL learning from them through emails and dialog and facebook. I can't WAIT to go back. I'm going to take Handguns II & III then ECQ and JD and I will probably also take team tactics with them as well.

If I lived in Ohio you couldn't drag me away from that place.. LOL.

I still intend to take trainings from other schools to get as well-rounded of training as I can get but I will definitely be going back to TDI again and again and possibly even try to host them coming out to our state to do a training or two.

If you do want to read my Defensive Knife class review you can find it here.

VIP Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I just signed up for the snubby course in June. Should be fun and informative.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    I've never taken the snub course, but I'd really like to if I can ever get my schedule to work out. I have taken 1-3 a few years ago. Its worth every dime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Never been, but I have never heard bad things, and I really, really want to go to some of their courses.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    Go, you won't be disappointed. I took the snubby course 2 years ago, and the Integrated Impact Weapons last month. I also took a one day defensive knife course they did for police officers.

One word of advice for the snubby course--take a heavier revolver with hand filling grips. You will be shooting a lot of rounds over the 2 days (I think I did about 600). A lightweight gun with small grips will beat your hands pretty badly. I carry an airweight most of the time, but shot most of the course with a Ruger SP101. I fired enough stages with my airweight just to make sure I was on track with the training.

Mark

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I just signed up for the snubby course in June. Should be fun and informative.
    See you, there, ksholder. I just signed up with my S&W BG - so new, it's still waiting for me to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Swordsman View Post
    Go, you won't be disappointed. I took the snubby course 2 years ago, and the Integrated Impact Weapons last month....
    One word of advice for the snubby course--take a heavier revolver with hand filling grips. You will be shooting a lot of rounds over the 2 days (I think I did about 600). A lightweight gun with small grips will beat your hands pretty badly. I carry an airweight most of the time, but shot most of the course with a Ruger SP101. I fired enough stages with my airweight just to make sure I was on track with the training. Mark
    I want to take the advice of an experienced LEO and snubbie course grad but have (or soon will have) only the one revolver. Maybe you're talking about .357 mag? I'm going to shoot 125gr 38 Spec. I have to remember the boo boo kit. I'm looking forward to stepping up with this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    I shot all 130 grn standard pressure rounds, no .357. A couple ofboxes may have been +p.

Mark

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Swordsman View Post
    Go, you won't be disappointed. I took the snubby course 2 years ago, and the Integrated Impact Weapons last month. I also took a one day defensive knife course they did for police officers.

One word of advice for the snubby course--take a heavier revolver with hand filling grips. You will be shooting a lot of rounds over the 2 days (I think I did about 600). A lightweight gun with small grips will beat your hands pretty badly. I carry an airweight most of the time, but shot most of the course with a Ruger SP101. I fired enough stages with my airweight just to make sure I was on track with the training.

Mark
    Mark - thanks for the input. They are calling for 700 rounds over 2 days. I am planning on using my S&W 640 with regular pressure .38 loads. It has Pachmyar grips on it and shoots .38s very easily. This should be fine.

I have Hogue grips on my 642 which will be along for backup. I have no problem with 200 shot sessions in an hour or less with this set-up. The stock grips were rough, but the Hogues made this little gun fun to shoot.

Pistology, I look forward to seeing you at the training. If you find your BG is beating your hands up, you can try out my 642, the grips really do make all the difference. When I first shot my 642, I thought I had made a major mistake. I shot a couple hundred rounds through it in one session to prove it and my hands were SORE. I figured I was going to have to sell it and take the loss. I had nothing to loose trying out a new set of grips, wow, what a difference that made. The gun is now not only a good pocket gun, it is fun to shoot.

ETA: I just looked at the S&W web site. The BG appears to have a boot grip that has rubber down the back strap of the gun. You should be fine with that. My 642 with stock grips had the frame exposed with no shock absorbing material between the frame and you hand.
    Last edited by ksholder; June 16th, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

VIP Member
    In addition to this month's snubby course, I am in the Handgun I-III on October. Anyone else taking that course?

JD
    Administrator
    I finally finished my review, pull up a chair and stay a while, it's a long one...

Tactical Defense Institute (TDI) Pistol II & III After Action Review

VIP Member
    Day 1 of snubby course completed, day 2 coming up. Man, am I glad I came to this course. AAR later, but suffice it to say, learning a lot & have much to practice.
    JD and greeby like this.

Administrator
    To bad its raining today, you sure had nice weather yesterday.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    To bad its raining today, you sure had nice weather yesterday.
    Yeah, the weather yesterday was stellar. Today, it started with a bit of light rain, but it ended in sunshine. Overall, not too bad in the weather department. The course was a blast and I learned a lot. I will put up an AAR in a few days. If you are thinking of going to this course, do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links