Gander mountain amazing range/tactical simulation

This is a discussion on Gander mountain amazing range/tactical simulation within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently moved just outside of Orlando and have just found a Gander Mountain store near by. All I can say is ...WOW!!! A huge ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gander mountain amazing range/tactical simulation

I recently moved just outside of Orlando and have just found a Gander Mountain store near by. All I can say is ...WOW!!!

A huge selection of all kinds of guns and ammo but here's what makes them different.

It has a state of the art live firing range BUT what makes them unique is they also have a 'virtual range'. Great for beginners who are apprehensive about shooting.The shooting is simulated but feels and sounds real. Practice on the world’s most accurate simulated shooting range using actual firearms modified for laser technology and full-felt recoil using co2.

Also...

Simulated emergency shooting scenarios.

"Our fully immersive, high-definition video, multi-screen, interactive virtual simulators are so cutting edge, so realistic, and so lifelike that up until now they’ve only been available for use by elite military and law enforcement agencies. Gander Mtn. Academy is the first and only firearms facility to exclusively offer this cutting-edge simulation technology to the public."

They have giant 180 degree and 360 degree simulations on 5 - 8'x10' high definition screens.

Check this out...

http://gandermtnacademy.gandermounta.../virtual-range
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

That is pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Sweet. Wish we could get a facility like that in the Atlanta area. Thanks for sharing, I may just have to make that one of my stops when I go to FL.

I read about that when they opened and really wish they had one closer it's in Orlando and I believe their is one up north (south carolina reference). Its a little too far to drive to but if I'm ever in the area I would be sure to take a spin at the simulator.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    https://gandermtnacademy.gandermount.../virtual-range

One training school here in NE-Ohio supposedly will have something similar, and I'm really looking forward to such training.

Until then, I can holy hope that the GMs here in NE-Ohio will eventually host one.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Neat stuff! I see that the LaCrosse, Wisconsin location has one of these. I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm ever down that way.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

One advantage of the simulated range is that you don't use any ammo when you practice. No targets either. So it really is a cheaper way to practice.

I think this is a great way to introduce someone to shooting. It familiarizes them with the gun without the fear of using live ammo. It feels and sounds exactly like live 9mm. The holes in the simulated target look real also. AMAZING!! Once they are comfortable with simulation you can go next door and use the 'live' range for real shooting.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    It feels and sounds exactly like live 9mm.
    ^ Wow! Nice - I didn't realize that it would simulate recoil!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I think there should be more like it . It is very beneficial in teaching when or when not to shoot. Until I run into one like that, the closest thing I can do is play games at the arcade that teach judgemental shooting (ex.=Lethal Enforcers/Maximum Force). I hope the Gander Mountain in Ashland, VA has one. If so, that would be nice should I want to spend some vacation in Central VA.

Thanks for posting this Sig! I'll be in Orlando for a short vacation soon and will have to hit the St.Mary's GM for sure! The kids get to go to Universal and I'll go to GM! Looks like fun!

Senior Moderator
    The Gander Mountain Academy is very nice - both the simulator side and the live fire ranges are state of the art.

Be sure to go on-line and reserve your range time in advance, though. They do fill up some days.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Although the Gander simulator in Orlando is technically outstanding in giving you a very real sense of immersion, my wife and I were disappointed in how it was managed.

The shoot-don't shoot scenarios are a perfect way to teach Florida self-defense law. (One scenario has an aggressive and threatening man with a knife within Tueller distance--shoot to stop forcible felony. In another you come across three thugs quietly stealing stuff from your parked car--walk away and call the cops.) But, instead of using the shoot-don't shoot simulations to teach when to shoot or not, the Gander employee simply turns the computer on and lets you do whatever you want without commenting.

It is fun, but it could be much, much more.

They are opening one at The Woodlands location here in Houston come October 1st!
    Although I don't know that it is that much cheaper, since it costs $25 1/2 hour.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Sweet! I'll meet you there ZX9RCAM! Now if they would just put it in the Pearland store I'd be set.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Bored to Tears

I went to the Gander Mountain in Spring, TX and couldn't wait to try the state-of -the-art shooting simulator. After a few minutes I was bored. I did the virtual range and the 360 simulator. the 360 simulator was really interesting but the employee in the room would not shut up and wasted the hour I paid for. They also had a very limited number of scenarios for that thing. The recoil action is very realistic though and it wasn't too crowded. With more marksmanship drills and scenarios this system could be a lot more useful for training. I saw something like it at Shot show. It was a Laser Shot system. I wonder if this company is a part of Virtra too. They were selling simulators for home use. They offered recoil and non recoiling options. The pricing was anywhere from 1500-10,000 depending on what you want. This technology is really accurate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links