NRA Instructors

This is a discussion on NRA Instructors within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, Hope this hasn't been beaten to death here... How many NRA Instructors do we have here? How many are actively teaching regularly and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ISR MATRIX

Thread: NRA Instructors

NRA Instructors

Hi All,

Hope this hasn't been beaten to death here...

How many NRA Instructors do we have here? How many are actively teaching regularly and how does it balance for you between teaching NRA courses vs non-NRA courses?

I just completed the Basic Pistol and Personal protection In The Home Instructor courses this past weekend. As basic classes they were a big eye opener to me after working exclusively with LEO for a long time.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My husband and I are both NRA certified instructors and we have regular courses that we teach monthly if/when we aren't training ourselves.

We do have a few "non-NRA" classes that we offer as well and as long as we specifically note "This is not an NRA endorsed class" we are covered. We get more people in the NRA basic classes because it has those three magic letter "NRA" in front of it. People like to see that and I understand why so I'm all for it. We get far more interest in the NRA basic classes than anything else we provide.

The basic pistol class gives us the most business and we break it up nicely amongst the two of us. I think people also like to see the male/female husband/wife aspect of things instead of just a guy doing all of the teaching and demonstrating. We try to keep our classes fun but safe and educational as well.

Our non-NRA classes are mostly taught by my husband (because I'm pregnant and can't be on the range right now) and there is a lot of range time involved.

We do permit requalification shoots and soon I'm going through another NRA cert program right now to teach another class which should also be good.

There are a few instructors in our area who like to help out with classes but don't want to go through the trouble of actually setting the classes up for themselves such as renting rooms, finding range locations, making guns available for rental, all that. They come out to assist us with our classes and we give them a little of the profit for helping and also list them as assistants with the NRA so they can keep their cert requirements fulfilled and, honestly, I don't know how we could do it without them. They help us out so much on the range and in the classroom.

We don't really do it for the money. In fact we still have not made an actual profit from it. We do it because we love to do it and we like to help people get affordable training.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I am NRA certified Hunter Education Instructor as well as FWC. But all I ever teach is the Florida class. On average about 4 or 5 a year, since 1995.

You said a "big eye opener", how did you mean...good or bad?
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I am on referral only . CCW classes are 4-6 students a couple times a month. I encourage those getting a permit to bring their spouse or SO along ( no charge-no cert either) so they will be familiar with a gun and thus safer around them. For self-defense classes i teach basic through advanced and recommend that everyone, gun carries or not, take at minimum 6 months of what ever martial arts they find interesting. It teaches you balance, how to fall, that you can take a hit and stay in the fight and more.
    For basic it would be one-on-one ( or with spouse, cause 2 working together is better than one whose energy is diminished by protecting another) for 3 classes over 6 weeks. I send you home each time with drills. You call me as needed and when ready for the next lesson. Progress to advanced is not less than 6 months...it takes at least that long for your body to learn what your mind may think it already does.

And no—i do not even try to teach you everything...i teach you to think; and of course how to wear a gun, proper holster, why you need 3 different guns to get through different seasons and how you dress, to observe, to play the ‘what-if’ game and a whole lot else.

Carrying a gun is like having the skills to drive the INDY 500 and you just need the car to putter round town—but occasionally you have to avoid something or fill out an accident report ( or get deaded). With the gun you need the trained skills of the professional; yet it is a skill you hope to never need. The last thing you ever want to do is shoot someone but it may be the 1st thing you have to do. That’s why you train.

additionally-- about half the basic class people start the SD class while waiting for their permit to be processed. this is time we work together and based on their life style, how they are shaped and dress,to fit them with holsters working off of which guns ( and grips) fit them. that why the 1st class is 4 hours. than 3 and 2. a 1st goal is to be competent. that is when you can draw from concealment and place 2 shots COM in under 2 seconds. at this level, though there is still lots more to learn, you are good to go out in the real world armed. in between 2 shots/2 seconds are more mini-goals on your way to beingpretty much as good as it gets: the Mozambique in or under 1.5 seconds. thats set up as 3--8" paper plates at 3, 5 and 7 yards and 2 shots in each, from concealed with a buzzer/timer.
    90+ % get good; perhaps 20% shine. expressed another way--competency and shooting in a local IDPA will get you in the top half for sure, proficient places you in the top 10%.
    Last edited by claude clay; June 6th, 2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: additionally...
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I am NRA certified Hunter Education Instructor as well as FWC. But all I ever teach is the Florida class. On average about 4 or 5 a year, since 1995.

You said a "big eye opener", how did you mean...good or bad?
    Just different. The culture is different. Most cops have one gun and don't shoot except for annual qualifications. They have access to excellent advanced tactics training but often don't take advantage of the opportunities and Citizens often look at cops as being firearm experts when that is not typically true.

On the other hand, citizens who seek out training are generally active in their practice of shooting and hungry for good information but quality control is a big issue as far as the sources that are often available to them.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Last edited by ISR MATRIX; June 6th, 2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: sp
    RugerMak likes this.

I'm certified to teach the TN handgun carry permit class, NRA Basic Pistol, and the NRA Personal Protection series (inside and outside the home)
    The school I teach for is being treated as a hobby by the owner, so I'm lucky to get 6 classes a year done. I'm trying to change that. We're also working with current and ex LEOs as well as some .mil and private contractor types to develop a civilian tactical handgun course.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

sgb
    NRA basic pistol
    State of Florida "K" Security Firearms Licensed instructor

Not currently teaching due to health issues.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    NRA Reloading Instructior, both shotshell and metallic cartridge.

Limited time to teach as I'm also a construction manager for a Mexifornia City and we're doing a PD expansion.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Moderator
    I got some certs somewhere. In the top of my closet I think. I'm NRA certified RSO,Personal Protection in the Home, Handgun, Rifle, and some others I cant remember.
    I'm also Ar State Po certified as an AR CHL Instructor.

I average somewhere around 500 students a year, usually in classes of 40- 50 at a time.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

NRA instructor here. I teach regularly and we offer a variety of classes.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    NRA Instructor.
    Basic handgun and Law Enforcement Handgun/Shotgun.
    Most of my teaching involves training armed guards and police firearms instructors on a very limited basis.

I just got my NRA Basic Pistol certification a couple of months ago. I'm mostly helping someone else with her classes, as I learn the ropes a little and get more comfortable. I'm also taking my Shotgun Instructor class sometime next month.

I'm an NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Pistol and a RSO. I teach concealed carry classes a few times a year, primarily in a team teaching environment.

As a big concealed carry advocate I became an instructor more to "spread the word" than anything else. I also occasionally help interested friends and relatives with general firearm safety or marksmanship skills. One of my longer term (fun) projects is teaching my nephews to shoot.

I too am an NRA instructor and teach a variety of classes.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

NRA LEO Instructor here. I have certifications in handgun/shotgun, patrol rifle and tactical shooting instructor. I've considered using my LEO certs to get non-LEO certs, as instructors for civilians in my neck of the woods is slim....to none!

Links