AAR: Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions with Roger Phillips

This is a discussion on AAR: Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions with Roger Phillips within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last month I attended Roger Phillips' Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions class. This is one that I've been wanting to take for a long time, ...

Thread: AAR: Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions with Roger Phillips

AAR: Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions with Roger Phillips

Last month I attended Roger Phillips' Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions class. This is one that I've been wanting to take for a long time, ever since Roger first announced it. When he finally put it on the schedule for some place closer than Las Vegas, I jumped at the chance.

I brought a lot of gear to this class. My primary fighting rifle is an Arsenal SLR-107F with an Ultimak mounted Aimpoint Micro. As a backup, and in case there was anything I wanted to try with an iron sighted rifle, I also brought my SGL-21. Both rifles were fed with the excellent US PALM AK30 magazines. I recently finished putting together an AR as a training and teaching gun, and I figured this class might be a good opportunity to get some practice in with it, so I brought it along too. It's got a Bravo Company midlength lightweight upper on a Palmetto State Armory lower. I'm currently running an EOTech on it and feeding it with PMAGs. Finally, because the class is Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions, I also decided to bring my 870. When I was last playing with this gun at Alex Nieuwland's SI Shotgun Gunfighting class, I was a bit frustrated with the length of the stock, so when I decided to bring it to this class, I replaced the standard stock with a Choate Youth/Body Armor stock/pistol grip combo. On the pistol side of things I brought a pair of Glock 17s, one of which just had an RMR installed on the slide by TSD.

To support all this ordinance I brought a couple different setups. For the rifles I brought my usual sneaky bag, which would work equally well for the AR and AK. I also brought along an Insurgent Chest Rig. In my own life, I don't foresee a whole lot of circumstances where I'd use a chest rig, but other people's situations may differ. Part of being an instructor is being able to look beyond your own context and experience to those of your students. So I brought the chest rig to get some experience so I could do a better job teaching my students who are in situations where chest rigs or mag carriers mounted on body armor make sense. To go with the rig, I brought along left and right handed Dale Fricke mag pouches to go on each hip. The belt mounted mag pouches are the primary source of ammunition, which can be refilled with a mag from the chest rig or the rifle can be reloaded from the chest rig directly. I've heard good things about this setup from others and found it very suited to ambidextrous shooting during dry practice prior to class. I ran an EMDOM dump pouch on the belt as a receptacle for spent magazines.

For the shotgun, I've got an old Hawkepack rifle fighting bag with three sets of elastic loops for shotgun shells velcroed inside. The top two sets hold birdshot/buckshot while the bottom holds slugs. I usually load up the loops then dump the remainder of the box of birdshot into the bottom of the pouch for extras. It's particularly nice that the the seven round capacity of each set of elastic loops happens to match the capacity of my 870.

The Sneakybags and shotgun bag work fine with my normal CCW holsters, but the combination of a CCW holster and a chest rig is not permitted at SI classes. For the chest rig, I decided to just use the rightmost pocket to hold my pistol. I was a bit nervous about having a Glock in there with the trigger covered only by the fabric of the chest rig, so I stuck a Gideon Elite kydex holster in there and secured it with a zip tie through the drain grommet.

Now, with all this relatively new gear, I'm breaking one of my own rules: don't bring new or untested gear to a class. The AR has only been through two range sessions and some dry work. One of the Glocks and 870 have only seen one range session since they got the RMR and Choate stock, respectively. I've only used the chest rig during dry practice. However, I decided to bring them anyway, because I figured that if I started paying more attention to trying to get my gear to run than what Roger was teaching, I could always switch back to an AK, sneakybag, and an iron sighted Glock, all of which are reliable and I know how to use quite well.

Several of us kicked things off on Friday night by getting together for dinner. The group included SI instructors John Meade and Rick Klopp. As usual, the fellowship was excellent.

Saturday

We had a total of 13 people in the class, including several SI staff instructors (Rick Klopp, John Meade, CR Williams (Richard), and myself). There were quite a few familiar faces in the class, including many of the regular attendees at SI classes in the southeast. There was even a student from one of my CRG classes, and it was quite welcome to see one of my former students going on to further instruction like this. The majority of the rifles in the class were AKs, but there was a strong minority of ARs (including two SBRs with suppressors). There was a pretty even split between iron sighted guns and those with optics. I was able to evaluate the various guns as they sat on the rifle rack, which seemed like the height of luxury for someone used to carrying a rifle all day in Gabe's classes. It did make my golf bag worth of long guns easier to deal with though.

Roger started off with his usual extensive safety lecture. In addition to going over the safety rules, he also designated individuals to attend to the wounded, call 911, etc. in the event of an accident. We had two doctors (including John) and one EMT (Rick Klopp) in the class, so were fairly well set for medical experience.

Going on, Roger talked about the context of the skills we would be learning. Sighted fire techniques are an optimal skillset, for use in optimal situations (ones where you have the advantage and start off in a good position on the reactionary curve). Point shooting skills are for suboptimal situations, where you are behind the curve and don't have all the advantages of an optimal situation.

Our first subject was mounting the rifle. Roger analogized it to drawing a pistol, In a gunfight, the draw is the thing you're most likely to screw up, and the mount is much the same. It sets the basis for everything that follows. He demonstrated the mount, stressing the importance of eliminating unnecessary movement. Direct, linear motions are most efficient, while little bobbles or circular motions of the muzzle generally signal some sort less than optimal mount. A good mount is of paramount importance for point shooting, but it will also improve your sighted shooting as well. With sighted shooting, a good mount means the sights will be right there when you mount the gun, versus having to hunt around to get them aligned. One element he emphasized was the need to leave space between the stock and the shoulder, then bring the rifle back to the pocket, to avoid snagging on gear. I had some experience with this problem myself in the Shotgun Gunfighitng class a few months ago, when the combination of a GoreTex jacket and a shotgun with a long stock and a grippy rubber butt pad caused me some trouble. He also talked about working the mount in slow motion, to discover small problems, at full speed, and doing overspeed training.

We began our work on the range doing dry practice mounting the gun. We started from slung, then worked our way through Sul, patrol ready, high ready, port arms, contact ready, and close contact ready. I've had experience with most of these, but the one that was fairly new to me was high ready (stock at the hip, gun angled upward with the muzzle at eye level). Roger really likes this position (probably a result of lots of bird and clay target shooting experience).

One thing he pointed out that I hadn't really appreciated before is the relationship between the ready position and the shooting position. We'd be doing a lot of shooting from positions other than the full shoulder mount in this class, but not all shooting positions flow logically from all ready positions. If you're in Sul with the stock of the rifle on your shoulder, for example, it doesn't make much sense to drop the stock down to waist level and shoot from the hip. On the other hand, if you're in patrol ready and face a close range, high urgency threat, shooting from the hip makes sense.

We shot an initial group offhand from 25 yards, using the sights. Most folks did well here, they had the sighted fire skillset down. Then we moved in and shot another group from seven yards. Roger used these groups to demonstrate sight offset (the fact that the sights on AKs and ARs are substantially higher than the barrel, meaning the gun will shoot below the line of the sights up close). He had us shoot another group holding over the target point to compensate for sight offset.

That was the last time we'd focus on the sights all day. We began the point shooting part of the program with some shots using Type 2 focus (same relationship between the sights and your eyes as sighted fire, but focusing on the target rather than the front sight). We did this at fifteen yards, and most folks had groups as good or better than their 25 yard sighted shots. I had a decent group, but they were about four inches to the left of where I was aiming. I'd shot right on in the sighted fire drills, so I know it wasn't that the sights were off. Roger was initially mystified, but I had a guess what was going on. I'd shot the first group with both eyes open. When I shot another closing my non-dominant eye, the group was dead on. Something about the way my eyes work causes this issue.

The next topic was the caveman EOTech (credit for the name goes to SI instructor Randy Harris). Basically, you superimpose the front sight tower of an AK or AR on the target and as long as the target is bigger than the sight tower, your odds of hitting are pretty good. Initially, Roger had us shoot this at fifteen yards, which may have been a bit over-ambitious. My group was quite high at this range (around chin level when I was aiming at the chest). I'd never really shot caveman EOTech this far out, and I was using the same sight picture I used inside of seven yards, which clearly wasn't working. I wasn't the only one with issues. Roger brought us back in to seven yards and had us shoot again, with much better results. Then he gradually moved us back to fifteen, allowing us to adjust to the greater distance more gradually.

Finally, we moved to shooting over the top of the gun. This was getting into territory I hadn't really done much with, but I found it pretty similar to shooting over the gun with a pistol. However, with four points of contact, it was much easier to get good hits at a given distance with a rifle. We started in nice and close, at three yards, then move gradually back to beyond ten.

With that, we broke for lunch. Even before lunch, Roger placed a lot of emphasis on proper hydration. The weather could have been much worse, but it was still a pretty warm day and we were sweating quite a bit. I sucked down lots of liquids and I still probably wasn't drinking enough.

After lunch I switched from my AK to my AR. We did a few more drills shooting over the top of the gun. We followed that up by lowering the gun a couple of inches, putting the stock about halfway between the armpit and top of the shoulder, rather than at the top of the shoulder the way we want it. This simulates a failure to get a good mount. If you have to get to your sights and the gun ends up this low, you'll either have to adjust the gun or try to cram your face down onto the stock. If you have a good point shooting skillset, however, it may degrade your accuracy a bit, but you can still shoot just fine. Again, we started at three yards and gradually moved back to about seven. At this point, Roger gave his combat accuracy lecture, drawing on some of John's knowledge of anatomy to explain what some of the lower torso and shoulder hits we were getting would do.

Next, we dropped the gun even further, down to the close contact ready position (also known as underarm assault). Roger introduced the combat crouch here. The combat crouch is pretty widely misunderstood. It gets a lot of grief from modern technique shooters who don't realize it's really intended as a movement platform, rather than a static shooting stance. In a way, I found dropping into a combat crouch more natural with a long gun in the underarm assault or hip positions than I do with a pistol.

Our last step in below the line of sight shooting was to drop the gun all the way to the hip. Some folks carrying their pistols in appendix found that the best place for the stock was on top of their holsters (not only is the Archangel a great carry holster, it's also a rifle recoil absorber!). One thing that surprised me was just how well the hip position handles recoil. You can really rip shots off fast this way. Again, we started from three yards and stepped back to about seven. I was quite impressed with how far out you could take some of these way below line of sight techniques with a long gun.

We moved on to pistol transitions. The transition itself was the standard S.I. one where you throw the rifle on your back, which most of the students had previous experience with. We started out with dry rifles and live pistols and did the drill that way several times. Then Roger had us load 2-3 rounds, shoot the rifle dry (and you want to make sure it's dry before transitioning, no tossing a loaded rifle on your back) then transitioned to pistol.

Next up were transfers. We started out with the usual transfer drill: shoot two from the strong side shoulder, do a partial transfer and shoot two, full transfer and shoot two, partial transfer back to the primary shoulder and shoot two, lather, rinse, repeat. Next we did the same thing shooting from underarm assault. This got a bit interesting because from the support side my AR tended to pelt my chest and strong side arm with brass. I didn't quite do the hot brass dance, but I did to the hot brass wiggle to get some cases off my strong side arm.

Roger introduced the bayonet transfer. It's called this not because you have to have a bayonet attached to your rife, but because you thrust the rifle forward much like you would to stab someone with a bayonet. From underarm assault you drive the rifle forward towards your focal point on the target. As you do so, you press off a round. It's important to do this as you're driving the rifle forward, not when it gets to full extension, because as it gets to it's limit of extension it's going to wobble and that will throw off your shot. From the fully extended position, you use your support hand on the magazine to haul the rifle back to your support side shoulder. If you do this quickly enough, inertial alone will keep the rifle steady in your support hand and you can start the hand transfer before the rifle hits your support side shoulder. This is difficult, but done properly, this is very quick and gets a round into a close-up target. Roger has certainly mastered this technique, but I think he's still working on the best way to teach it to people. He solicited our feedback on how to teach this and I think that his ability to get this across to students is only going to increase.

Last up was "Katrina baton twirling". These are methods for going from a strong side Sul or port arms to address targets on the opposite side. Going from Sul uses the same 'golf swing' technique that we teach for addressing threats to one side in the Rifle Gunfighting classes. From port arms it's a little different because you're going over the top, but the principle is similar. In both cases, the secret is that for most of the swing you're really controlling the rifle with your support hand on the magazine. People try to do too much with their primary hand and end up fouling things up.

We each had to demonstrate this dry, one at a time with Roger standing right next to us to be sure that we could do this safely without muzzling the next person on the line. Once he was satisfied with everyone's performance, we did it dry as a group in each relay, then went live with it.

This concluded our first very full day of class. We packed up all our stuff and headed back to the hotel. We had time for a shower (and for me to get a start on this writeup), then met for dinner at a local Mexican place. The fellowship was excellent as usual. As the evening wore on most of the students drifted away and Roger, Rick, John and I ended up having a nice discussion among the instructors.

Sunday

We reconvened at 8 o'clock the next morning. As with Roger's pistol PSP classes, the second day would involve less shooting, but a lot more movement. CR Williams wasn't felling well and felt that he wasn't up to shooting. He (wisely) decided to sit out the drills this morning.

The day began with an extensive lecture by Roger about dynamic movement. He talked about the combat crouch and it's relationship with the body's natural fight or flight response. There was extensive discussion and demonstration of the takeoff continuum. For a long time SI taught the Pekiti takeoff, and later supplemented/supplanted it with the enhanced Pekiti, which Roger discovered and Gabe helped codify. Then Sonny came along with the Russian takeoff, which provided another approach to the same problem. Roger's latest contributions are the takeoff continuum and the two-footed takeoff. "Continuum" seems to be Roger's favorite word. In this case, he took the different techniques and reconceptualized them as particular parts of a broad range of takeoff footwork. The traditional Pekiti takeoff is at one end of the continuum, getting all of it's drive force from the rear leg. The enhanced Pekiti is at the other end, getting it's drive force from the front leg. In between is what Roger calls the two-footed takeoff, which gets drive power from both legs. This can be 50%/50%, 60%/40%, or whatever combination of force on each leg the situation dictates. What's appropriate depends on the amount of telegraphing that's acceptable, whether or not you're already moving (the Pekiti works best for changing direction rapidly on the move), your level of athleticism, and the quality of the footing.

Our first drill of the day was experimenting with the effect of mounting the gun versus floating it during dynamic movement. If you mount the gun solidly, it transfers more of the jarring from each footfall to the gun, bouncing the muzzle up and down. If you float the gun, leaving an inch or so between the stock and your shoulder, your arms act as shock absorbers, leading to less bounce with each step. We tried each method dry while charging straight in towards the target to see the difference, then went live and did the same as we practiced practiced floating the gun. There really is quite a bit of difference, and floating the gun makes it possible to move much more rapidly while still maintaining an acceptable degree of accuracy.

The next drill was the parallel tracking drill. We did an enhanced Pekiti, then moved forward towards the target on a line parallel to the original line of force. Compared to charging right in, this allows you to close rapidly with the adversary while making it a bit harder for them to hit you. It also allows you to flank the enemy rather than colliding with them if they're still standing when you get there. Still, in the balance of hitting and not getting hit, this is pretty far towards the hitting side (which is sometimes appropriate). Rather than shooting all at once, or even dividing into relays, we did this drill two at a time. Students shot at the targets on the extreme right and left sides of the range, giving a wide separation between them. Furthermore, the students on the right side did their parallel track to the left of the target and vice versa. This meant that the students moved a bit closer to each other, but their fire was angled away.

During this drill, one student had a rather odd malfunction in his AR. A case failed to eject, but instead of stovepiping, it spun around 180 degrees and the bolt shoved it into the chamber backwards. Without a rim available for the extractor to get a grip on, there was no easy way to clear it. He knocked it out with a rod, and it might have been possible to clear the case by mortaring the gun (pounding the buttstock on the ground while pulling back on the charging handle), but there was no quick or easy way to get the gun back operational.

Next up were the forward oblique angles (the 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock). We ran the drill first at three yards, then at ten yards, to get a feel for how range dictates the technique you use. At three yards, you can shoot from the hip or underarm assault and get good hits, at ten you need a solid shoulder mount. At three you can move very rapidly, while at ten it requires a more measured pace.

At this point we broke for lunch. During lunch, Roger sold some swag (t-shirts, his book, and his DVDs, which I recommend highly). He also gave the SI instructors in attendance a chance to pitch their upcoming classes and did a pitch for Steve Barron's Applegate Combat Point Shooting System class.

After lunch, I swapped back to my AR and a sneakybag (I'd been using my AK and a chest rig that morning).

The next drill was incorporating the Katrina baton twirling into a GOTX drill. We did this drill one at a time. The student started walking along the firing line from right to left, necessitating a shoulder transition before we started shooting (everyone in the class was right handed). When we reached the first target, we reacted as if it were a threat and got off the X in the direction we were already headed, using one of the baton twirling techniques to get the gun on target. As we ran down the line we let off a round or two into each target. The first time through we ran this from Sul, making the golf swing technique appropriate. The second time started in port arms, so we went over the top. During my second run at this drill I got a click instead of a bang on my second shot. Because one of my goals was learning how to run the rifle (my first AR malfunction, yay!) I decided to fix the gun rather than performing the more tactically appropriate transition to pistol. I slapped the bottom of the magazine and sure enough, it rose about half an inch. I worked the charging handle (making me really glad I had the medium BCM Gunfighter handle, since it's easer to run with the rifle on your left shoulder than the stock one) and resumed firing.

Richard had been sitting in the shade nursing bottles of water all day, but he was looking even worse than he did this morning. He reported feeling nauseous and was very lethargic. The consensus of our medical team (John Meade, another student with an M.D., and EMT Rick Klopp) was that he needed to go to the hospital. As Rick was about to take him, another group of people showed up wanting to use the range and as host, Rick had to deal with them. While he was doing this, Richard started dry heaving his guts out. Rick too him to the hospital. When Rick returned towards the end of class, he said that the diagnosis was dehydration and low sodium level (not surprising since he'd been sweating a lot and hadn't eaten anything since lunch the previous day).

Back to long gun point shooting, next up were the rear oblique angles (5 and 7 o'clock). Unlike with pistols, we don't really have the option of doing a transfer or going one handed, you just have to try to shoot back over your shoulder. However, you can make this much easier by sacrificing the perfect mount. Yesterday we shot with the stock below the usual mounting position, but here we move it outward, either bracing it against the bicep, or floating the gun without any stock support entirely (eminently doable with relatively light recoiling calibers like the .223 and 7.62x39). In combination with this it's often easier to cant the gun to the side (to the left when shooting from the right side) and point shoot by aligning down the barrel. We ran this drill two at a time, with the student on the right going to the 7 o'clock, the one on the left going to the 5 o'clock, and Roger in the middle playing traffic cop to make sure there wasn't any interference between the two shooters. We did the drill at a walking pace first, then stepped up the speed.

For our next drill, we began by walking toward the target, then on command we did the bayonet thrust shot and got off the X to the right or left (one time each way). A proper bayonet shot really requires you to be going from the underarm assault position to get enough of a linear movement to stabilize the rifle, so this drill only works well if you start out in a ready position where it's natural to go to underarm assault, like patrol ready or high ready. It really doesn't make much sense if you're starting in Sul with the butt already up on your shoulder. I did much better the second time when I started in patrol ready.

Finally, for our last drill, to put it all together, we did the zig-zag drill. You start out at contact distance with the target and get off the X to a rear oblique, then move back and forth getting gradually further, firing at the target as you move. If you're careful to move more laterally than pack, you can get through two mags before getting out to fifteen yards where Roger called your run to a halt. This drill test the ability to safely change movement directions, shoulder transfers, and the ability to vary shooting position and pace depending on the range. I've done this before with a pistol in the PSP class, so I was able to burn through two full mags before Roger called a halt. My AR was literally smoking as some of the lube burned off from the heat (this would be a greet drill for one of the Surefire 100 round mags).

We wrapped things up with the presentation of certificates and a group picture. Afterwards, some of us shot around a bit. Roger invited us to play with shotguns some, since we no longer had to worry about tearing up the targets, but nobody seemed to interested, so my 870 remained unshot for the weekend. I did have a chance to shoot a Caracal pistol, a new design from the United Arab Emirates that one of the students brought (he knows the importer). It was interesting, very Glocklike, but with kind of a funky backstrap and longer trigger reset. I also let Rick Klopp shoot my new RMRed Glock.

With that we reluctantly broke up and went our separate ways.

Conclusions

As expected, this was a great class. It was definitely up to Roger's usual high standard. I've taken PSP, APSP, and now Long Gun PSP and my only regret is that there aren't any more PSP classes out there for me to take. I guess I'll have to be content with redoing or helping Roger out with existing classes.

There was some discussion both in the class, and when the instructors were chatting after dinner on Saturday night, about what sort of experience students should have before taking this class. Most of this focused around whether students need to have taken Roger's Point Shooting Progressions class before taking the Long Gun PSP class. I don't know if it's absolutely vital, but I definitely think that students who have taken PSP will get more out of this class than those who haven't. PSP includes a lot of explanation of the underlying concepts that Roger doesn't cover again in this class. He tells you what you need to do to point shoot with a rifle, but doesn't get into the the background of why nearly as much. If you haven't taken PSP, you really need to at least read Roger's Point Shooting Progressions book before coming to get some of the conceptual background.

Even more than PSP, I really think a student needs to have taken a SI rifle class. At the very least the basic level Fighting Rifle Skills class, but better yet the intermediate Rifle Gunfighting (or it's weapon specific equivalents, Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting or AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting). Long Gun PSP covers only a narrow subset of rifle gunfighting, but it delves very deeply into that subset. The other rifle classes are much broader, covering topics like reloads, malfunction clearance, after action drills, and position shooting that this class doesn't. This is the first SI rifle class where I never needed my knee pads (heck, I wore shorts the second day, which I would never do in any of the other rifle classes). The deep look at rifle point shooting is really great, but you also need the broader material in order to be a well rounded rifle gunfighter.

I was generally pleased with my gear in this class. I didn't get to shoot the shotgun, but all three rifles ran fine. During the afternoon of the first day, I did notice the AR was a bit reluctant to go back into battery after I did a chamber check. I added a bit of oil, and slathered some more on that evening and the problem went away. Lest Don Robison accuse me of slandering the AR, I should hasten to add that this only occurred when chamber checking and never affected my shooting. The only actual malfunction I suffered was entirely operator induced (got to remember to check that the mag is seated).

The support gear all ran well. The sneakybag performed like a champ, as always. I don't especially love the chest rig, but it worked fine. I really do like the combination of the EMDOM dump pouch and the Dale Fricke mag carrier on the belt. The mag pouch on the right side for left-hand reloads is pretty slick too. I think my next set of rifle support gear may be a HSGI MOLLE belt with some taco mag carriers and a dump pouch in a similar configuration.

I talked about CR Williams' dehydration troubles in this writeup (and did so by name with his permission) not to be critical of him in any way, but because this serves as such an important lesson. Indeed, Richard's decision not to do any shooting on Sunday should garner considerable praise. He was cognizant of his condition and made the difficult, but wise decision that he wasn't in any shape to be doing dynamic shooting drills.

This was not a particularly hot class, compared to some SI classes. The high temperature was in the mid '80s both days an it was not excessively humid. The fact that we had a student go down with dehydration in such relatively moderate conditions should give everyone pause. Proper hydration is not just for 'extreme' temperatures.

Read Roger's article on hot weather training. Read John Meade's thread on dehydration. Follow their advice! As someone who grew up in Arizona doing a lot of stuff outdoors, I can attest from personal experience that they've got it right. If you haven't been drinking a lot even before the class starts, you're not drinking enough. If you don't feel like you're drinking too much, you're not drinking enough. If you aren't ******* every hour, you're not drinking enough. If you're piss isn't clear, you're not drinking enough! To this last point, some will say "but my piss is always yellow!" Well, that means you're walking around in a constant state of mild dehydration. As long as you're spending your time in air conditioned buildings and not exerting yourself much, you can get away with this, but if you spend a day or two outside in warm weather, doing physically demanding stuff, it will bite you in the ass!

I learned a lot in this class (and not just about dehydration). When I took Advanced AK and Kalashnikov Force on Force from Gabe last June, I felt there was a bit of a disconnect. In the Advance AK class, we did all of our live fire from a high shoulder mount. We did to caveman EOTech point shooting, but it was all from the shoulder. In the rifle FoF class, we often ended up shooting from underarm assault or the hip (with Gabe's encouragement). This class has really filled in that disconnect and provided some below the line of sight rifle shooting skills for those high urgency, close range situations. Roger really does a great job covering both the major techniques, like below line of sight shooting, and the small subtleties, like choosing your shooting position based on where the stock is in your ready position. This is really a great class and is a welcome addition to my stock of rifle gunfighting knowledge. Anyone who has taken the full SI rifle curriculum (Fighting Rifle Skills, Rifle Gunfighting, Advanced Rifle Gunfighting, Rifle Force on Force, and now Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions) and truly mastered these skills would be a dangerous man with a rifle indeed. As usual, Roger's teaching was superb. I would highly recommend Long Gun Point Shooting Progressions, along with everything else Roger teaches.
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

2. Remove Ads

Links