shooting/training question

This is a discussion on shooting/training question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has helped me to move close enough to a small target or point target so that the muzzle nearly touches it a full extension. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: shooting/training question

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    It has helped me to move close enough to a small target or point target so that the muzzle nearly touches it a full extension. I can check sight placement and position easier that way. Also, a small level on the slide can help with making sure the gun is level so that everything comes up to where you shift to the front sight. What I do in general is focus on the target point, extend, then shift to the front sight at or near to limit of extension, not much before. I hope this helps.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Multiple posts removed:

To recap...

Quote Originally Posted by russ1986 View Post
    I am having a problem shooting my 9mm with both eyes open it takes me a long time to line up my front sight. I know with practice i will be able to do with out thinking but does anyone have any pointers
    my shooting is decent. what i am trying to do is become good with both eyes open. i having a hard time finding my front sight with
    both eyes open quickly. I was wondering tips on that. I have been doing just practice pull and aim in my house. taking an empty mag throwing it in the firearm and then aiming at an object in my house like a light socket. I have just been wondering of any tips to be able to find my front sight faster with both eyes open. it takes me roughly 10seconds or more to find it

JD
    Administrator
    Russ:

Here is one method of making the front sight more visible, it's a little more robust than paint, but harder to apply.

Came across THIS ARTICLE and decided to give it a try on my Les Baer. I'd been painting my dot sights for years covering the paint with clear nail polish and it worked well. I was always curious to see if there was something I could do for a tritium front sight and lo and behold there it was.

So here's my front sight all stickered up.

The bad news (if you could call it that) is that I now have about 1" shy of 40' of red pin stripe left. If anyone wants to try this, just PM me your address and I'll mail you a 5 inch strip of the tape. I'm not sure how well this brand of tape will hold up, but I'll be taking the gun to the range on Wednesday and give it a whirl and post back here with the results.

VIP Member
    JD - have you ever tried to air brush the sights? I am considering neon orange on my 642 over some primer as the sight is serrated, not flat. Not sure how it will hold up to gun cleaning chemicals. Interested in your input.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Cool

photo.jpg photo.jpg
    click to enlarge....

I put Big Dot sights on my G-19, G-23 and SP-101 just so that I could keep both eyes open and align the sights quickly. It has worked well for me.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    photo.jpg photo.jpg
    click to enlarge....

I put Big Dot sights on my G-19, G-23 and SP-101 just so that I could keep both eyes open and align the sights quickly. It has worked well for me.
    I put a big dot sight on my 640 and it also works very well. Modifying the 642 for a big dot is a big project, I am painting mine. I will post both when done with the painting.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    JD - have you ever tried to air brush the sights? I am considering neon orange on my 642 over some primer as the sight is serrated, not flat. Not sure how it will hold up to gun cleaning chemicals. Interested in your input.
    I have not, but then again I don't have an airbrush either. The thing is that when after enough draws the paint may get worn off, it's not just solvents that cause wear and the tape seemed more resilient. I don't think it would be too much of an issue with the ramped front sight of a J-Frame though so I would be willing to give it a try.

VIP Member
    Good point on holster wear. Given that the sight is, as you point out, ramped and serrated also, I think paint is the way to go. There is little surface area to tape to stick to as it would only be on the points of the serrations. We shall see. I have it primed and the first coat of day-glo orange is on. A second coat will go on in a few and that will probably do it.

i have been practicing and what i notice is that my front sight is up and to the right. and it blurs out. until i find it. yes the pictures are a good help thank you all
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

JD
    Administrator
    yes they all ways go to the right
    When you grip the gun one hand only, is the slide aligned with your forearm? It almost seems like maybe your grip might be off causing the front sight to be out to the right when you bring it up. For giggles, next time try a couple reps of one hand only (like the old bullseye shooter stance) and bring the gun up slowly and see if the sights are aligned.

I would agree with JD. While your shooting may be good once you're lined up, I would say if you always seem to be off up and right when trying to align I'd think it's your grip. I could very well be wrong, but you might try adjusting.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Here are my 640 - night sight and 642 - orange sight. Both have the camera focused on the front sight. The 642 is aimed a bit up so you can see how the orange stands out compared to the original grey.

640sight.jpg

642sight.jpg

Here is a side shot of the painted front sight before I cleaned up the remaining tape residue and a few bits of paint that got under the masking tape.

642sight2.jpg

I am having a problem shooting my 9mm with both eyes open it takes me a long time to line up my front sight. I know with practice i will be able to do with out thinking but does anyone have any pointers
    Target shooting with front sight:
    Its all about focus. You eyes are trying to focus on to many objects that are at different ranges (this creates ghost images, double vision etc). Just focus on that you want to hit (the target) punch the pistol out until it is in your line of sight, then just take you focus off of the target and ONLY look at the front sight. The rear sight will be slightly blurred, the target will be very blurred, but your front sight is clear. If you focus both eyes on just one object, at just one range then your eyes will not blur.

Bad news:
    Now the bad news, if you try to do this in a real gun fight your going to die…..because you will not be able to take you focus off your threat (target)….no matter what you THINK you will do, when guy in front of you is trying to take your life, you eyes are going to fixate on him.

OP,

You actually have a presentation problem, not a sight problem or an eye problem. You don't have the confidence in your presentation replicating the last x number of attempts closely enough that you sight alignment doesn't change. So, do this:

Get a solid grip on the gun and draw it from a holster with your eyes closed. With a two handed grip, once it is up, open you eyes. The sights should be aligned with themselves, but not necessarily on target. If they are not, move your hands until they are. Repeat as necessary. When you can draw with your eyes closed and have the sights lined up when you open them 10 times out of 10 (takes about 30 minutes), then put the gun in the holster and grab a soda. After 10 minutes or so, repeat the exercise. This should solve your sight problem in short order!
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I fin it much faster to pick up the FRONT SIGHT first and then "drop it in" the rear sight. In time, the sights will come up pretty much aligned already with your dominant eye. Keep working!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links