Defensive Carry banner

IDPA scoring? Can anyone help me to understand how to compare my scores to others?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ridge Runner 
#1 ·
I have finished first in my two IDPA matches so far this year. I am in the SSP/MM Division/Class.

Can I compare my scores to someone in a CDP/E Div/Class?

For example, on one stage I had the second fastest time and second "points down" score out of everyone at the match. Can I compare my scoring for that stage against everyone or does the scoring calculations differ based on Class?

Any help would be appreciated. I am reading my rule book buy would like some help.

How can I compare how I did against everyone at the match?

I am trying to identify where my strengths and weakness are in a systematic manner and I plan on compiling spreadsheets for analysis.

#2 ·
I am no IDPA guru at all - when I shoot it I shoot against myself really.

IIRC tho the scoring system is the same overall - with hit scores and time interelated. The classification is much as anything I feel to level the playing field so that like shoots with like if possible.

To me there is always this fine balance between outright speed and accuracy - go too fast and lose the odd -1 or -3 when an extra second in shooting would mean zero's.

Anyways - hardly helping you much - just babbling :smilez:

#3 · (Edited)
I've been shooting IDPA some for 8 years now, 5 or so at state level matches. Scoring calculations do NOT differ based on class. You can compare any numbers you want just to see how you stack up against better or worse shooters. I'm not sure comparing yourself to other classes is useful as a skill builder. Because of gun type and skill level breakdowns, comparison within your class/gun type is a better comparison. I do it and have gotten enjoyment out of comparisons to other classes after a match (especially a couple of times when I beat Master class shooters on a stage!), but comparing yourself by the numbers posted on stages only allows you to compare two numbers-not really assess your own overall capability. Maybe a huge sample of your scores/times total might give you an overall impression of "I'm shooting too slowly/accurate" or "I'm moving too slow," and I have done that on a couple of stages...but unless I shoot the exact same stage again, that hasn't helped. I have learned much more from watching other shooters and comparing their actions to my actions in the same stage. Videotaping is priceless in that regard. My only sytematic manner is to compare how I accomplish a certain skill within a stage versus how others in higher skill classes do it by watching tapes of them and of me. Winning skills can't all be compared with a numbers comparison, as the stages are all groups of skills. Things like target transitions, "reading" a course of fire to decide how best to shoot it, ability to shoot your last shot as you leave a position and your first as you hit the position, reloading, drawing, off-beat skills (one-handed or whatever), and most importantly-not making mental errors, are the individual skills, and you just can't measure separately by a total time in a stage. You can shoot some "baseline" drills stressing whatever skill set(s) you want, if you want to look at strictly numbers. Record the scores, compare, and see if you are getting better. The qualifier is good for that. I look at it this way myself: The sport is all about speed and accuracy-but only partly in shooting speed and accuracy. Congrats on your two firsts, by the way! You'll be SS before long...
EDITED TO ADD: Overnight, this came to me...I think your way will give you a lot of DATA, but I'm not sure it will give you much INFORMATION. Why couldn't I have said it that simply in the first place?

#4 ·
sheepdog said:
I've been shooting IDPA some for 8 years now, 5 or so at state level matches. Scoring calculations do NOT differ based on class. You can compare any numbers you want just to see how you stack up against better or worse shooters. I'm not sure comparing yourself to other classes is useful as a skill builder. Because of gun type and skill level breakdowns, comparison within your class/gun type is a better comparison. I do it and have gotten enjoyment out of comparisons to other classes after a match (especially a couple of times when I beat Master class shooters on a stage!), but comparing yourself by the numbers posted on stages only allows you to compare two numbers-not really assess your own overall capability. Maybe a huge sample of your scores/times total might give you an overall impression of "I'm shooting too slowly/accurate" or "I'm moving too slow," and I have done that on a couple of stages...but unless I shoot the exact same stage again, that hasn't helped. I have learned much more from watching other shooters and comparing their actions to my actions in the same stage. Videotaping is priceless in that regard. My only sytematic manner is to compare how I accomplish a certain skill within a stage versus how others in higher skill classes do it by watching tapes of them and of me. Winning skills can't all be compared with a numbers comparison, as the stages are all groups of skills. Things like target transitions, "reading" a course of fire to decide how best to shoot it, ability to shoot your last shot as you leave a position and your first as you hit the position, reloading, drawing, off-beat skills (one-handed or whatever), and most importantly-not making mental errors, are the individual skills, and you just can't measure separately by a total time in a stage. You can shoot some "baseline" drills stressing whatever skill set(s) you want, if you want to look at strictly numbers. Record the scores, compare, and see if you are getting better. The qualifier is good for that. I look at it this way myself: The sport is all about speed and accuracy-but only partly in shooting speed and accuracy. Congrats on your two firsts, by the way! You'll be SS before long...
EDITED TO ADD: Overnight, this came to me...I think your way will give you a lot of DATA, but I'm not sure it will give you much INFORMATION. Why couldn't I have said it that simply in the first place?

Thank you for the thoughtful and reasoned response. Your statements do make sense. I wanted to just get an idea on how I did on one particular stage time and points wise against the instructors (Expert) scores. I was shooting a SSP and he was shooting a CDP. I just wanted to make sure my scores were calculated the same was as his.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.