Martial arts for self defense. - Page 5

Martial arts for self defense.

This is a discussion on Martial arts for self defense. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With any art, you have to remember they use fine motors skills. I would suggest something dealing with gross motors skills. Something like Michael Janich ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Martial arts for self defense.

With any art, you have to remember they use fine motors skills. I would suggest something dealing with gross motors skills. Something like Michael Janich talks about.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I am not going to getting into a fist fight at any level. I will blow you to the ground with Mace or other airborne sprays... After that I will stomp your breathing tube into the ground. Then the paramedicics can come see what they can do for you... There are no fine motor skills here....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Gary Boaz is great, very fluid and good movement. Keep in mind, it will take a long time to look anything like Gary Boaz. You have to stick with it and practice, practice, practice. For the first year of Aikido, I wanted to quit every other second. But I have a cousin who is a Nidan (2nd degree), and I have seen him use Aikido in a real situation. That is what kept me going. Aikido can be very frustrating for a beginner, you just have to stick with it.
    Question why is it hard as a beginner? I was check going to start in September. Just wanting some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I am not going to getting into a fist fight at any level. I will blow you to the ground with Mace or other airborne sprays... After that I will stomp your breathing tube into the ground. Then the paramedicics can come see what they can do for you... There are no fine motor skills here....
    You got that right. Thats exactly what Im talking about. Love it....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by redstgunnut View Post
    When I said I'd stick with BJJ, I meant as opposed to Aikido.

I do cross train in other disciplines, including stand up fighting.
    The problem with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that I've seen is that it seems designed for 1 on 1 conflicts with the intent of taking the person to the ground. With two or three on one, the last place I want to be is on the ground addressing a single attacker while someone else kicks me in the head. If I'm wrong on this and BJJ trains for multiple attackers, please let me know. I've never taken it, so I don't know that for a fact -I'm just going by what I've seen.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    The problem with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu that I've seen is that it seems designed for 1 on 1 conflicts with the intent of taking the person to the ground. With two or three on one, the last place I want to be is on the ground addressing a single attacker while someone else kicks me in the head. If I'm wrong on this and BJJ trains for multiple attackers, please let me know. I've never taken it, so I don't know that for a fact -I'm just going by what I've seen.
    True, straight BJJ is one-on-one. True, too, that most of the finishes in BJJ are on the ground. Also true is that if one is fighting one guy, his bad guy buddies can intervene. If I'm fighting multiple assailants, I'm not going to take one of them down and try to choke him. If I have to fight multiple bad guys, I'm hoping to be shooting or stabbing my way to a solution. The situation dictates the tactics. I prepare for as many situations as I can.

This video shows how easy it is to take control of a situation.

The art I study does some of this, and I'd recommend any style that teaches this kind of close-in work. Gravity is your friend.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links