Is There a DIR(Doing It Right) in the Gun World?

This is a discussion on Is There a DIR(Doing It Right) in the Gun World? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In SCUBA, there is a following that practice what they call DIR (Doing It Right), essentially this involves certain training and practices along with DIR ...

Thread: Is There a DIR(Doing It Right) in the Gun World?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

In SCUBA, there is a following that practice what they call DIR (Doing It Right), essentially this involves certain training and practices along with DIR approved gear. The thought is that if there was ever an incident a pair of DIR divers would be familiar with each others gear and be set up very similar, this helps in situations where there is trouble and you need to help one another.

I realize there are so many differences between SCUBA and the gun world that it's hard to compare one another, but it did get me thinking about the gear I have and how it could have been chosen a little better to be more consistent.

In SCUBA you had things like hose configurations, backup regulators, etc... here, we have holsters, guns, knives, various carry methods, etc.

In my opinion, these would have to be individual choices vs a group of experienced individuals who test and determine what is the best practice, however how many of you standardize in some way or another?

Do you carry a revolver by day in an ankle holster and a 1911 by night in a leather belt holster for example?

I'm seriously considering going through a similar process with my guns and accessories to standardize everything, but wanted to run it by more experienced folks to see if I was off the mark in my thinking here.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    SCUBA has another mantra---Plan the dive and dive the plan

buddy breathing, systems similarity cause there are so few ways that work, thus go with what does.

guns have many points of convergence--especially in how they are handled. but how they will actually be used, though there is a statistical similiarty....for the individual, his use will be
    i don't want to say unique, but it will be rather personal. so we chose from all that is available for that which we perceive will best fit our needs. and as needs change over time, we acquire stuff..holsters, different guns, knives, flashes.....

ideally one should train with various platforms ( DA/SA SAO. DAO, LDA and more.) so we are familiar with whatever we may come across in a time of need.
    say you are out with a buddy and he is injured and you have to finish the fight with his gun...say it is a wheel gun and you open it to see how many rounds are left, than you glance at the scallops on the cylinder and close it such that the next pull of the trigger will bring a live round under the hammer.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I think it's not a bad idea. Given the recent video of the fellow shooting himself in the leg whilst drawing in practice especially. He partially blames the ND on using two widely different types of active retention holsters. One was a Serpa with the index finger release, and another had a thumb release. He had been practicing with the thumb release holster, and when he went to unholster his 1911 from the Serpa he tried the thumb motion, which inadvertently released the safety. In combination with other mistakes, it ended up putting a bullet in his leg.

Is the blame solely on the holsters? Absolutely not, but had all his retention devices been the same, it might not have happened. At least not that way.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Nope. Firearms are the ultimate expression of origiality and freedom. Be almost backwards to try and make any uniformity out of that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    There are the four rules. Obey the four rules and you are doing it right.

After the four rules it's wide open.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

The DIR ethos in scuba diving focuses on choosing the right tool for the job. The also embrace an 'if you don't need it, don't take it' mentality. So choose the proper gear, but don't burden yourself with unnecessary crap. I can very much see this translating into the world of firearms and personal defense. However, also keep in mind that scuba diving, *especially* the kind of scuba diving that spawned the DIR philosophy, is a very team oriented activity--as in a team like a SWAT, or a combat unit. When it comes to personal defense most (but not all) of us, don't regularly operate in that kind of environment. So I think there are some parallels, but they are limited.

Brian

Sponsored Links