Cross dominant shooting question

This is a discussion on Cross dominant shooting question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is a pretty OK shot with her Kahr CW9 but has a little trouble with the initial line-up of the sights sometimes, and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jwhite75
  • 1 Post By Yankeejib
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: Cross dominant shooting question

Cross dominant shooting question

My wife is a pretty OK shot with her Kahr CW9 but has a little trouble with the initial line-up of the sights sometimes, and I had her test to see which eye is her dominant one a few days ago. Turns out she seems to be right-handed but left eye dominant. She's tried shooting left-handed before and can do it, but it's extremely awkward for her. Any tips on how to make shooting a little easier and more intuitive for her?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Well for me I use the same isoceles stance but leave both eyes open and just move the pistol over so that the left eye lines up on the front sight. I shoot my handguns right handed but left eyed, I shoot a bow and long guns left handed with right handed controls. LOL

When I figured out what worked my accuracy and proficiency went way up.

If I had known about my "affliction" much earlier in my formative years I would have been a killer football/basketball/baseball player. Didnt discover until well in to college.
    surefire7 and yankeeman like this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Bring the gun/sights over to the eye. It's a small, subtle movement - which she can coincide with slightly dipping her head if that's also more natural for her or already a part of her presentation/draw ("rolling in" of the shoulders).

I'm strongly cross-dominant, and this is how I shoot. The only area where I've truly had difficulty are with longer-distance, precision, shots (i.e. 25 yards, at-the-bulls-eye, as well as in terms of angular techniques - but that had to do as much with my complete noob-ishness and lack of understanding, in not taking enough of a slice of the pie to begin with), but there are tricks to be used there, too (like just shutting the non-dominant eye for a split second: picked up this trick from a "range-friend" of mine).

She just has to get used to the slightly different presentation during her draw stroke, that's all. Just muscle memory, and she'll ingrain, quickly.

The good thing? Ask her to shoot with her weak/support/reaction hand. You'll see what I mean.

----

BTW, JD has a good blog entry about this topic, too.

Dave Sevigny is cross-dominant. He does what TSiWRX does and moves the sight over to the dominant eye. I don't think this has slowed Dave Sevigny down:
    SEE VIDEO
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    My wife is a pretty OK shot with her Kahr CW9 but has a little trouble with the initial line-up of the sights sometimes, and I had her test to see which eye is her dominant one a few days ago. Turns out she seems to be right-handed but left eye dominant. She's tried shooting left-handed before and can do it, but it's extremely awkward for her. Any tips on how to make shooting a little easier and more intuitive for her?
    Close right eye, shoot right handed.

From the web:
    Cross-dominance, sometimes called “cross-eye dominance,” affects approximately 10% of shooters. It is fairly common among left-handed shooters (whose right eye is dominant) but it also occurs in a small percentage of right-handed shooters (whose left eye is dominant).

There are a number of different tests to determine eye dominance. The easiest is to point your pistol at a small target. Now, close your left eye, keeping the right eye open. If the gun is still lined up with the target, you’re right eye dominant. If the gun seemed to “jump” to the left, then you are left eye dominant.

For years, instructors would give students a variety of different techniques to overcome the problem of cross-dominance. Even now, some instructors treat it as an affliction. Recommendations range from forcing yourself to shoot with the non-dominant hand to radically canting your head and neck to get your dominant eye in line with the gun.

None of that is necessary. Or even helpful.

If you are cross-dominant, the solution is pretty simple. Just put the gun in front of your dominant eye. Simple as that.

Close your non-dominant eye. Draw the pistol and point it at your target. Don’t bend your neck or anything else, just stand upright and aim the gun. Now open your non-dominant eye. Ta-da. You’ve done it!
    RAMIfied likes this.

TSi, the head-tilt was part of what tipped me off when I started thinking about it one day. She currently does just that, using an isosceles stance and leaning her head to right right to line up that left eye. I tried to see how comfortable she was with a more weaver-like stance once before we realized this, but she couldn't really do it. Now I see why.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Gee, seems pretty simple to me... tip the gun slightly so the sights line up with the dominant eye. Not "gangsta" 90°, just a little cant to the left.

I have a couple of friends that have this "affliction" (see above). I've taught them to shoot by just tipping the gun a bit... it works. Improved their scores markedly.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

^ It doesn't even really have to be a "cant." Since there's a natural "inward" rotation to both arms, one effectively "cancels out" the other, when you're shooting with both - it's more that you're shifting the entire arm/hand/pistol, while maintaining a traditional sight-alignment/sight-picture, to establish alignment with your dominant eye.

For right-eye-dominant, right-handed shooters, imagine getting your pistol into position, and then just simply sliding it left, to align with the left eye. :) That's how I do it, as a cross-dominant.

I currently favor a slight inward cant/rotation, at combat/defensive distances, with one-handed shooting, but I don't find that I'm canting the pistol (in my right hand) any more towards the left (my dominant eye), when shooting strong-hand only. Instead, as with my two-handed hold, I simply bring the sights to align with my dominant eye.

For me, it's not adding cant, it's simply a leftward shift of the entire pistol.
    yankeeman likes this.

I'm right handed right eye dominant but due to a spinal injury have to shoot left handed,it has been 9 years of shooting left handed and I recently noticed when I'm shooting left hand/right eye I seem to be milking my shots to the left,the other day I started closing my right eye and shooting left hand /left eye and started putting rounds back on target,I still don't do to bad for shooting weak hand all the time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am left eye/right hand dominant....my gun has no chanfe in cant. I simply pbring thgun straight up in isocels and turn my head slightly to the right to line my left eye up with the front sight.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm right handed right eye dominant but due to a spinal injury have to shoot left handed,it has been 9 years of shooting left handed and I recently noticed when I'm shooting left hand/right eye I seem to be milking my shots to the left,the other day I started closing my right eye and shooting left hand /left eye and started putting rounds back on target,I still don't do to bad for shooting weak hand all the time
    Very interesting......

I wonder if the trick that my range-friend taught me would work for you - to just quickly wink-out your non-dominant eye, to force your brain to kick it to the dominant.....

I've repeatedly tested my eye-dominance and it varies from time to time...I've always shot rifles lefthanded but I am predominantly right-handed in every other aspect. I have noticed that time to time I will be tilting my head and focusing out of the left eye...I just started to pay attention to this after a range session with JD and it's been consistently in the 75-25 to 80-20 ratio of switching from RH to LH. Other than closing my left eye to force myself to stay on the RH eye what else can I try?
    Gene

Just seen your post TSiWRX....I may have to try that method
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

My trainer has me shooting left handed lately... Since I am right eye dominant I had a lot of challenges to overcome. His take was to cock the weapon 45 degrees inward (almost a gangsta grip). It placed the sight darn near in front of my right eye. See if that helps.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

RMD
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I found that I shoot better using a modified Weaver - I call it the "Hickok 45" stance. I also shoot better with both eyes open as my left eye is so dominant that I pick up the correct sight quite easily.

A specific question:

I'm cross-dominant, as my previous posts pointed out - STRONGLY left-eye dominant, but I'm also a right-hand shooter.

For those of you who are cross-dominant and/or teach shooting techniques, what are some things I can do to help my difficulties in barricade work, towards my handedness strong side? I have a lot of difficulty, with my cross-dominance, when I'm peeking around the right side of a barricade [not in a "gun-game" sense, rather, in a "tactical" sense - in that I am trying to keep my profile as small as possible]).

Links