Just some thoughts from an old guy

This is a discussion on Just some thoughts from an old guy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 Thanks for the responses. Now if he will listen. If its who I think it is, he wont. He knows better ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Just some thoughts from an old guy

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Now if he will listen.
    If its who I think it is, he wont. He knows better already. Which is sad..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

I concur with your post.

Unfortunately, some people won't reason, or they are unable.

They won't even consider another perspective on the real dangers of life, until they smell the halitosis of the devil.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good post Tman.
    This in particular caught my eye.

This post is about the simple fact that the act of carrying a firearm for self defense may include the taking of another persons life and you have to be prepared physically and mentally to do that which includes training for the event and making sure your skills and equipment are up to the task.
    I liken it to one who may handle a Bullsnake in relative safety, believing that they are qualified to handle a Mamba without further training or skills.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Tacman, great words. Sadly, the individual for whom they are likely intended has demonstrated he is immune to taking constructive criticism to heart.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not sure who this, "ahem" hypothetical person is. But I've been active on this forum for a while and I've seen new people come and post, get jumped on by about 10 forum members, then leave and never be heard from again. I'd say anyone who sticks around despite heated arguments says something right there.

I understand really well what you are feeling. I'll give you an example from my personal life. I've had no less than 1,000 people email me, call me on the phone, or talk to me in person and tell me that I should put a generator on the rear wheels of my electric car so that it can power itself and never need to be recharged. In fact, I've heard this so many times I had to dedicate an entire video to explain why that is not possible. I've had people continue to argue with me even after explaining the various laws of physics, thermodynamics, ohms law, and mechanics. Some people eventually get ticked off at me and insult me, then I never hear from them again. Actually, that is the norm. There is one guy that I've been arguing with for 3 years who is still convinced I'm wrong. But I stick with it, and stick with him. I'm respectful to him and do not insult his intelligence. In fact, his challenges to my teachings actually forces me to stay on top of things and delve deeper into things I hadn't thought of before. I recently told him that if he was so sure he was right, then he should get an electric car and make the modifications himself, and when he gets it working, let me know.

However, as much as I know I'm right. I also always keep the door open for the possibility I'm wrong. People said Galileo and Copernicus were wrong, everything they said went against what was known as common knowledge at the time. Even Albert Einstein had his skeptics. So they say the key to wisdom is to question every belief you've ever held. You should never be too sure that you are right or that you know everything. I actually practice what I preach, so despite what some people say, I listen to every piece of information, think about it, analyse it, and give great consideration to it. Can everyone else say, honestly, that they do the same?

VIP Member
    Yep...it is called the school of life.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

And if Galileo, Copernicus, or Einstein put up a video of himself sweeping a body part, or doing something obviously reckless with a firearm, you bet something would be said...and despite protestations to the contrary, they would still be told to stop doing it.

For all I know, you could be the next Einstein...you may have the mechanical, engineering, and scientific background to create an efficient electric engine...

But you are still an amateur with a firearm...

Here's the difference between them and you...they have credibility in their respective disciplines. You don't have any credibility with firearms training, usage, equipment, or employment
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I understand really well what you are feeling. I'll give you an example from my personal life. I've had no less than 1,000 people email me, call me on the phone, or talk to me in person and tell me that I should put a generator on the rear wheels of my electric car so that it can power itself and never need to be recharged. In fact, I've heard this so many times I had to dedicate an entire video to explain why that is not possible. I've had people continue to argue with me even after explaining the various laws of physics, thermodynamics, ohms law, and mechanics. Some people eventually get ticked off at me and insult me, then I never hear from them again. Actually, that is the norm. There is one guy that I've been arguing with for 3 years who is still convinced I'm wrong. But I stick with it, and stick with him. I'm respectful to him and do not insult his intelligence. In fact, his challenges to my teachings actually forces me to stay on top of things and delve deeper into things I hadn't thought of before. I recently told him that if he was so sure he was right, then he should get an electric car and make the modifications himself, and when he gets it working, let me know.
    Hmmmmm Just don't see why adding a 300# engine and a 100# generator along with 150# of fuel would be a problem? But then I believe in perpetual motion as well LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not sure who this, "ahem" hypothetical person is. But I've been active on this forum for a while and I've seen new people come and post, get jumped on by about 10 forum members, then leave and never be heard from again. I'd say anyone who sticks around despite heated arguments says something right there.

However, as much as I know I'm right. I also always keep the door open for the possibility I'm wrong. People said Galileo and Copernicus were wrong, everything they said went against what was known as common knowledge at the time. Even Albert Einstein had his skeptics. So they say the key to wisdom is to question every belief you've ever held. You should never be too sure that you are right or that you know everything. I actually practice what I preach, so despite what some people say, I listen to every piece of information, think about it, analyse it, and give great consideration to it. Can everyone else say, honestly, that they do the same?
    I leave the long and well written posts to others because I can't type very well and I have trouble stringing long sentences together.

So in my brief style I can only say: You don't get it now nor will you ever "Get It" in the future.
    Only the willing can be taught.

Thank you for posting; I have enjoyed sharing this with my husband.
    S&W 640-3

tacman605,

Good points all. Something there for each of us who CCW need to remember and take to heart.

There is one additional thing that I think merits mention, and that is "judgement". We can train ourselves until our situational awareness, reaction times, firearm handling, and mental ability to deploy and use a weapon on another are honed to a fine edge. That is what we should all be doing, but in addition, there is the question of the correct judgement required as when to put our weapons and skills into practice. I think that it is equally important to all of us to have the ability to correctly decide when NOT to shoot. All states have some type of laws on the books about the legality of when a citizen can employ deadly force against another person or animal. Of course, for our own protection, we should all be very aware of those legal issues, but also we need to make sure that if we decide to take the life of another, that we do so because there is virtually no other option open to us.

I know there are a few among all of us firearms enthusiasts and concealed carry devotees who fancy themselves as latter-day gunslingers. If you visit pretty much any gun forum, you'll see their commentary from time to time. I've seen them in the gun shops and the safety classes as well. I think it is those over-eager people who pose just as much of a threat to our gun freedoms as any of the anti-gun types we so constantly hear from because in the end, their bad decisions may have a lasting effect on all of us.

When it all comes down to that split second decision to fire or hold fire, your judgemental ability to make the correct decision is the thing that will save you or destroy you.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Excellent post. I could not have said it any better myself. At a slight older age, I have been there, done that. Have been in combat and have worked for the Government in jobs that I cannot describe. At my age, I have to be prepared for the real world as I am not about to duke it out with a 20 something year old.

I get tired of reading on gun web sites about what someone is going to do when the zombies come to get them and the vampires come out at night. People, this is the real world and you must deal with as a realist with an adult mentality because there are too many others out there who don't care a squat about you or your family.

Heed what you this OP says. He knows from where he speaks.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Nice post. Explains things more civilly then I would.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Man...I'm impressed. I'm just wondering how I missed this thread when it first came out.
    "Tacman" has his head on straight. Now if "someone" will only listen. I've tried talking to him in the past,
    however I was not as "gentle" as Tacman was. Hope you get through.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links