Target at Seven yards..

Target at Seven yards..

This is a discussion on Target at Seven yards.. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range with a variety of pistols, and shot at seven yards. It was from a draw (Holding in hand on side, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target at Seven yards..

Target at Seven yards..

I went to the range with a variety of pistols, and shot at seven yards. It was from a draw (Holding in hand on side, as if in a holster) and shooting the magazine till empty. I have holsters for all of these, but this is the closest I can get at the range. I don't personally think the picking up the gun from the bench and shooting is the same. Most people knock the smaller calibers, and there ability to shoot where you want them to. I have also learned through numerous firearms qualifications that you can shoot, but under duress you can definitely miss/not shoot where you want something fairly close to you.

Pistols used:
    P32- Painted white front sight
    P3AT- Painted white front sight
    G19- Gen 4, 04 Spring, and TLR1 Light attached, Night sights
    G27-Night sights

Last edited by rex03; July 20th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so, how is the dude that held the target feeling today??

nice to see the smaller calibers well placed.
    and I'm guessing that the 9mm drifted when you picked up the pace. indicating that the earlier shoots would have put the BG down long b4 the strays were even fired.

quite good overall.

the club does not allow drawing?

picking up from a table is good to do sometimes....practice all ways a little at a time
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Yeah, the drawing is referred to no holsters on the range at all. So I stand with arms to the side, and you just add a pistol to your shooting hand. "Simulate" (Because the holster isn't there) and follow through with your draw, and engage the target. On the G19 I did add the large back strap, and this was the culprit to throw off my shot over time. The Medium is what I'm used to, and it went back on after the cleaning was done post range..

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I would say that is some nice shooting. It is unfortunate that most ranges do not allow us the right to train from the holster. With this in mind, we must train at the range for speed and accuracy. You will have to train for quick draw in the comfort of your living room or maybe in front of your bedroom mirror. Train, train, and train some more. Good work.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

sgb
    Nice shooting
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Your opponent seems to be slow on the draw, looks like you won every time.

looks like you own the G19 my friend.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Yes the G19 is a great pistol, and I haven't had one issue with the Gen 4 either. I would say that it is as reliable as any other Glock I own too. I still go back to my G27 as the go to pistol though.. Thanks

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    rather than starting with the gun at your side--not a normal position;

try from low-ready.....that is where the muzzel is pointed 1/2 way between you and the BG or 10 feet in front of you;
    and external safety may or may not be off (ready to fire) and your trigger finger may or may not be on the face of the trigger.

thus--when you practice the draw to low ready at home you are precisely at the point where your live fire exercises at the range begins.
    makes for a nice, smooth transition from home dryfire to range livefire.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Bad guy terminated!
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    Yeah, the drawing is referred to no holsters on the range at all. So I stand with arms to the side, and you just add a pistol to your shooting hand. "Simulate" (Because the holster isn't there) and follow through with your draw, and engage the target. On the G19 I did add the large back strap, and this was the culprit to throw off my shot over time. The Medium is what I'm used to, and it went back on after the cleaning was done post range..
    depending on where in FLA you are, I am in NE FLA near ST. Augustine, you can join me and some guys on our range where we can do as we please, within the bounds of safe shooting practices. PM if interested

I would say thats some very nice shooting. I have always been a bullseye shooter and now that I carry concealed I have been doing just like you do .I actually had one of the range officers take me in the range and help me with my stance and shooting surely helped alot to start with the basics again .I have been shooting for 30 years and started picking up some bad habits now I'm fixed and shooting way better ,not quite as good as you but I know I will get there.

I'll try that!!

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    rather than starting with the gun at your side--not a normal position;

try from low-ready.....that is where the muzzel is pointed 1/2 way between you and the BG or 10 feet in front of you;
    and external safety may or may not be off (ready to fire) and your trigger finger may or may not be on the face of the trigger.

thus--when you practice the draw to low ready at home you are precisely at the point where your live fire exercises at the range begins.
    makes for a nice, smooth transition from home dryfire to range livefire.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, but if up there I will definitely look you up.. Thanks for the extended invitation..

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    depending on where in FLA you are, I am in NE FLA near ST. Augustine, you can join me and some guys on our range where we can do as we please, within the bounds of safe shooting practices. PM if interested

Practice definitely makes perfect.. Luckily I haven't picked up any "real" bad habits.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hdsteve69 View Post
    I would say thats some very nice shooting. I have always been a bullseye shooter and now that I carry concealed I have been doing just like you do .I actually had one of the range officers take me in the range and help me with my stance and shooting surely helped alot to start with the basics again .I have been shooting for 30 years and started picking up some bad habits now I'm fixed and shooting way better ,not quite as good as you but I know I will get there.

This is true SD shooting, not the 15-25 yard "take out the MS13 and Al Quada" scenarios that so many posters brag about. This is "coming around the car and rush me" shooting, the real thing! Good job with all of your weapons.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links