New training available through my employer...kind of excited

This is a discussion on New training available through my employer...kind of excited within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work as a court probation officer. We are in the field out of our territory, in BG houses a LOT. Unfortunately we are technically ...

Thread: New training available through my employer...kind of excited

I work as a court probation officer. We are in the field out of our territory, in BG houses a LOT. Unfortunately we are technically unarmed. Long story why. Our agency has just announced they are selecting persons to go to a tactical medicine training. Looks very comprehensive. Included teaching is described below.

*Proper treatment of extremity injuries and hemorrhage control, including tourniquet application techniques Hemostatic agents and their applications

*Treatment of gunshot and puncture wounds (including intubation).

*Proper patient assessment, including recognition and remote assessment of drug overdose and initial reaction

*Proper initial assessment and treatment of gunshot wounds, stab or shrapnel wounds, not only to patient or another officer, but to the officer himself.

*Proper assessment of basic battery injuries, including basic first aid skills, including intubation and proper use of a defibrillator.

I was once an EMT-B, and let my card lapse, unfortunately but I will have some basic skills when I go in.

They are also providing us with what I hear is a well made tactical trauma kit, for our use.

I am pretty excited to attend as it is something I have suggested to our higher ups for a few years. Just luckily, somebody was listening.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sounds like great training to have, especially since your work is providing it and paying you to go. Can't beat that with a stick! Actually, it would be worth going just to get the kit! Congrats. Give us an after class report.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

That was my take on it. My chief asked me to do it, usually because nobody else wants to and I am low man. I dont mind building my resume at somebody elses expense.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

cj
    Boy, I'd jump at a class like that. Hope it goes well for you!

Distinguished Member
    Man, I would love a chance to be sent to that class, especially on someone else's ticket

And I'm not even in a high-risk job (for the most part; we do have our share of irate, often unstable people coming into our offices)

Almost sounds like the old "Combat Lifesaver" training I had while in the Army. Awesome.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

I'd like to hear the explination of why you cant be legally armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'd like to hear the explination of why you cant be legally armed.
    State code says I am allowed. Agency policy says I have the option. Old school politics allows the judge(s) we work for to make the final decision on if we ACTUALLY do carry on the job. One judge has no problem with it. The other judge does. They hate each other.

The one who doesnt want us to carry tell us..."you are not a part of the executive branch, you are judicial officers. If you want to wear a badge on your belt and a gun on your hip, walk across the street and apply for the sheriff's dept." Our agency requires if we carry a hand gun to also be certified in OC spray. You can choose to carry OC spray but no gun if you wish. We are not even allowed to do that.

Our job is will and pleasure and the judges take turns being chief judge every two years. The one who would let us get carry training woudl only have revoked by the other when he takes over. Our jobs are will and pleasure and would be subject to firing as soon as he became chief if we went against him. I am the only income in our household and you choose your battles. So I am technically unarmed.

Found out that there will be more slots than expected and a coworker/friend will be going with me. Should be very good training.

Any time you can get someone else to pay for your training I'd suggest you pounce on the opportunity. How about a review after you do the class?
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

VIP Member
    I would love that training. Could prove very useful knowlege, on the job and off. I envy you...
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Links