Survival Shooting Techniques - 1970's Style.

This is a discussion on Survival Shooting Techniques - 1970's Style. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Survival Shooting Techniques - Texas Department of Public Safety via Texas Archive of the Moving Image This link was posted by user "ronduke" over on ...

Thread: Survival Shooting Techniques - 1970's Style.

Survival Shooting Techniques - Texas Department of Public Safety via Texas Archive of the Moving Image

This link was posted by user "ronduke" over on GlockTalk, and I just had to share with y'all.

There are some "techniques" that may be criticized, but it really is an informative & entertaining training video. - Enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good video and the advice given is just as relevant today as it was then.
    Thanks for sharing.

I am commenting on this thread so I can find it easily later when I can watch it.

Thanks for sharing. BW Do you still enjoy GloackTalk?
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Brings back memories. Interesting to note that even back then, 1978, the attention paid to point shooting at 26:30.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I agree that many parts in this training video are still relevant, and there are some glaring contradictions too.
    Serious topics are covered, but it is also quite humorous in some parts.

I don't want to give too much away and "spoil" the video.

Really appreciate the tactical stache, prevalent during the 1970's. Like the uniform, it should be mandatory attire for all male law enforcement personnel.
    - And bring back the DIY Home Permanent, for all female law enforcement officers.

Also, be on the look-out for the guest appearance of the 1970 version Massad Ayoob @ the 29:21 mark...

(Still enjoying Glocktalk - most of the time.)

Was great to see this. Tactics are sound and many should still be encouraged today.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks for posting, it was interesting to watch. Some of the 70's lingo was pretty entertaining. "OK clown, get away from the wall!"

Most of the tactics seem pretty sound, but what are you're guys' thoughts on rolling on the ground with the shotgun and reloading while its in the air until you get to the car for cover? I'd rather duck walk as quick as possible while shooting and tuck up behind the front wheel. You'd be a little bigger target on the way, but you'd get there twice as fast.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

any comments on the wall skimming bullet? this was good stuff, thanks for posting.

That was taught all through that era, any angle less than 45 degrees should not come off more that six inches.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

What is up with that ricochet shot? Why not just shoot parallel with the wall towards your intended target..?
    Maybe there's a scenario I can't think of right now, where this incredible shot could be beneficial.

The rolling & shotgunning to cover... I'd just want to get to some cover, ASAP.

Please remember that at the time, this was state of the art stuff. This was filmed after the Newhall shooting with the 4 CHP officvers killed and most of them had empty casings in their left front pocket. As to the lingo, pure early 70's. I remember the first time we saw that film was at a officer survival training event hosted by the FBI.

Sponsored Links