Travel Safety Tips

Travel Safety Tips

This is a discussion on Travel Safety Tips within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Travel Safety Tips With the holiday season approaching, this is a good time to review personal security tips for travelers staying in motels and hotels. ...

Thread: Travel Safety Tips

Travel Safety Tips

Travel Safety Tips

With the holiday season approaching, this is a good time to review personal security tips for travelers staying in motels and hotels.

1. Donít open the door to your room to unexpected visitors. If someone claims to a hotel employee, call the front desk first to verify why they were sent. A common ruse is to have a female knock on your door with some story about needing help. When you open the door, her male associate forces his way into the room.
    2. Use all of the latches, locks, and chains provided on your room door. Remember that others may have a key to your room.
    3. Upon entering your room, be sure all connecting doors to other rooms, and sliding glass doors to balcony or patio are locked.
    4. Do not leave valuables in your vehicle. Car break-ins are very common at hotels/motels.
    5. Keep your room key secured at all times. Do not leave it, or anything that identifies your room number, on the table in the restaurant or on the bar. No one needs to know your room.
    6. When coming and going late at night, use the main entrance.
    7. If away from the room for an extended time, leave valuables secured at the front desk.
    8. Look out to the parking lot when leaving, and scan the lot as you go to your car.
    9. A simple rubber doorstop can be dropped in your luggage, and used to increase the security of your room door when you go to bed.
    10. Donít leave your gun behind when you leave. Hotel staff are always finding handguns under pillows and mattresses, or in the nightstand.

www.rangemaster.com

Thanks Tom. Good info, needs to be spread around.:)

DC Founder
    That is very good information that I hope everyone reads and considers when traveling. When I fly somewhere with no reciprocal agreement on my permit, my level of precautions and awareness goes up a bit.

Great info. What do you all do when you knwo you are going to carry and be in a large crowd??? Have you ever bumped into someone and they felt you were carrying??? I live in Vegas and am curious about this. Do you all carry 24/7???

~A

Crowd?

Crowds, work in close quarters, places where I am going to get hugged, all require a modifed method of carry. Usually a gun in both front pockets for the second two, and cross draw plus pocket carry for crowds.

DC Founder
    I have carried in crowds with no one noticing I carry to date. I usually get very aware of anyone moving around me especially on my strong side. By moving your arm as you are within bumping distance I have always been to put my arm between them and the gun. I also carry my cell phone just ahead of the holster so I could always explain away the hard object they bumped. As I said, I have never been detected. Yet.

I don\'t carry 24/7. I can\'t carry at work, but it is always on in places I can legally carry it, usually off in places I can\'t legally carry it. At home, it is almost never on me but is close enough to grab if I need to. All of my kids are grown up now so I don\'t have to worry about anyone \"playing\" with it.

Links