How drawing changes the dynamic - Page 2

How drawing changes the dynamic

This is a discussion on How drawing changes the dynamic within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by threefeathers 5 or so years ago I stopped a robbery at the Hometown Buffet in Tucson. Short story as I've described it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How drawing changes the dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    5 or so years ago I stopped a robbery at the Hometown Buffet in Tucson. Short story as I've described it here before but when I drew the perp dropped his knife and ran. A Sig 229 in 357 Sig was looking him in the eyes. He lost all courage.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    this is what we all pray will happen.
    Or we pray that we never have to draw our weapons.
    Wolfrage likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would submit that in the proximity of a personal robbery, if you cannot draw and project accurate fire in less than three seconds, you are not adequately prepared to defend yourself with a firearm.
    And I would submit that you are correct, but that covers a large number of firearm owners. I'd say most firearm owners have never done even 1 defensive class and have very little idea of how they'll react in an Oh Crap moment. Ladies who carry their CCW in their pocketbook, for example -- how long do you think it would take to get it out in that situation? Or say an elderly gentleman who hasn't drawn from the holster in 10+ years? Even if it is 1 second, drawing and firing in that situation is probably still most likely the bad way to become a statistic. having a carry just betters your odds in life, it's not a guarantee.

I wouldn't doubt that you are correct in your assessment of people.

Relative to becoming a statistic, I think that is debatable. Training, experience and preparation will play a role in the outcome. I agree that there are no guarantees, but if I'm going to become a statistic, it will be of my own volition, not merely the desire of some criminal.
    Bill MO likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Does anyone have any real world experience with carrying the 'fake' wallet with $10 in it and tossing it to the side or something similar. I've started carrying such a thing, and am wondering if I'm wasting some pocket space. How common is it to do this decoy wallet ploy?

I don't know of anyone who has used it in a real situation, nor how popular it is.

Personally I don't favor it, it is just something else to think about (which wallet to throw) and something else to carry. I carry my actual wallet on the opposite side of my gun, which allows my to access/throw my wallet and draw at the same time, if I choose such a tactic.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

They would be dissapointed with my wallet.

The situation will be what it is. Any number of things can play into it.
    This is the one senario where a snubby in a coat pocket has the most advantage. If your Hans was on it, if you could access the trigger, if, if , if......

It all comes down to your judgement of the situation, your reading of the perp, and you confidence to act, if, you feel violence is the best response to walk away. And if, you have the nads to follow through.
    Guantes and rhinokrk like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    OK. Thanks. Uh, I wouldn't carry in order to shoot the thief, but to avoid giving my ID, cards, insurance, etc. and let him get away with a few bucks and me escape. If a guy pulls a knife or other non-firearm weapon, I'm giving him something and leaving the scene. If you don't comply at all, it makes them cranky, I'd guess. :)

I guess he never heard "don't bring a knife to a gun fight'. Haha, I'm glad everything worked out for you.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    They would be dissapointed with my wallet.
    Hell, _I_ am disappointed with my wallet :(

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that you are correct in your assessment of people.

Relative to becoming a statistic, I think that is debatable. Training, experience and preparation will play a role in the outcome. I agree that there are no guarantees, but if I'm going to become a statistic, it will be of my own volition, not merely the desire of some criminal.
    Very well said!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

[QUOTE=apvbguy;2015328]3 seconds is an eternity, under a second is better, and move laterally off line at the same time.
    it's called training and no matter how good you think you are, I bet you're not ( not that I am any good either), you need to work with a good SD trainer and afterwards train on a regular basis. [\QUOTE]

Agreed 110%

[quote]going to the range and putting holes in paper from a bench isn't training, it's putting holes in paper. [\QUOTE]

Again, agreed.

[QUOTE]Doing idpa or steel matches isn't SD training either, it's better than just punching holes in paper, IDPA will give you some bad habits for the day you really need to defend yourself. [\QUOTE]

Gotta argue that one. If the stars aligned correctly, and you actually met the odds of being in a situation where the use of your CC was a viable option, the odds of it being more than 1, let alone 2 BGs are again about as high as even being in that situation in the first place. IDPA, and USPSA (not a fan of that one-truly a game), it still comes down to the draw and the hits on the first target, wherever it may be. If you focus on that as being the most critical (which I do), then it is very good training, and not bad habits (how can being required to use of tactics, cover, and being aware of no-shoots behind/in front of BGs be bad habit forming? USPSA where you draw and run while shooting everything at the tone, ignore cover and tactics, yeah, bad habit.)
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If I plan on drawing, I plan on shooting.
    Shoot and scoot is the plan. Shoot, find cover, but don't run away.
    Said plan might change at a moments notice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links