My training gear

This is a discussion on My training gear within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I thought I would share my training setup and see what comments you have. I purchased this laser called, 'laser ammo'. It fits into ...

Thread: My training gear

My training gear

Hi, I thought I would share my training setup and see what comments you have.

I purchased this laser called, 'laser ammo'. It fits into the barrell of a semi auto and when the hammer strikes it projects a laser dot on the spot where the gun is aimed. I have the 9mm version with the 40 cal adapter. I think they make 45 but not sure. I use it in all my 9mm and 40 cals for dry fire practice. The pistol I like using it in the most is my new Taurus 740 slim. I haven't fired the 740 at the range, the main reason I bought it and like it for dry fire practice is the trigger. (I would have bought one regardless.) It has double strike so I can practice double taps, and, the trigger is a lot lighter than on my H&K P2000SK which has a heavy double strike.

With the cost of ammo these days I think I can get a lot of practice with this set up, and it's reuseable. I know a lot of folks would rather invest the money in ammo, as would I, but, at 20 to 30 dollars for 25 rounds of ammo I wouldn't get very many, and once fired, well.... I do reload and this reduces costs somewhat but even the reloading supplies are going up in price. The other point to this is I don't get to the range as often as I'd like and with this setup I can get some practice almost every night.

Anyone else try anything similar, or have a good suggestion for practice. Emphasis on 'good'.

2. Remove Ads

Anything you can do to improve your skill set is a good thing! Rock on!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    $20 - $30 for 25 rounds? Are you shooting range (fmj) ammo or carry (jhp) ammo?

Laser equipped dry fire is great and you are definitely on the right track there. However, no amount of dry-fire can completely replace live round going bang. Get some fmj ($8 - $12 for 50 rounds of 9mm) and work in some live fire too.

Then, occasionally shoot some of your carry ammo. Much cheaper that way.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

cj
    Have you been to a decent class? Dry fire practice can be great (I've seen more than one report assembled by professional competitors and the like who discuss it as a major part of their training), but if you've got something wrong with your technique, all you're doing is grinding that muscle memory in place for something that might not be ideal.

That looks interesting. Do they make one for revolvers?
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Flasher, To my knowledge they don't. I don't see how this would work in a revolver. The laser is the size of a bullet and goes into the chamber. Then you screw into the laser a tube from the front of the barrell. This tube keeps the laser chambered if you have to recycle the slide in a non-second strike pistol. Since the chamber on a revolver is in the cylinder this couldn't work. At least not very well.

Good point on the formal training. I can tell you that, for me, laser have helped me with trigger control. I can see where I'm hitting and work on a solution. Yes, it's not as good as actual firing but costs lots less. Yes, I shoot the same ammo I use for self defense, part of the time. Experts say this is important since different ammo shoots differently. Yes, I use the cheaper stuff for fun shooting. I usually do most of that with 22LR.
    Last edited by jsunsr; September 6th, 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: update.

Links