How do you hold your gun?

This is a discussion on How do you hold your gun? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes Neither. Thumbs curled, but not crossed. As I shoot thumb curled shooting one handed, similar to Ayoob's suggested method, one thing ...

View Poll Results: How do you hold your gun

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thumbs crossed over

37 16.59%
  • Thumbs lined up

166 74.44%
  • One handed

7 3.14%
  • I shoot laser beams out of my eyes.

13 5.83%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you hold your gun?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Neither. Thumbs curled, but not crossed. As I shoot thumb curled shooting one handed, similar to Ayoob's suggested method, one thing this does is that my strong hand grip never changes whether shooting one handed or two handed, auto or revolver. I don't like the pressure put on the strong thumb with thumbs crossed.

How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85
    'Same. I started out thumbs pointed forward, but found that I was more accurate and consistent with a slight curl. Then I read Ayoob's book and understood why.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    I've noticed that since doing so, several times when I finish a magazine, the slide does not lock back.
    Evidently my thumb has enough pressure on the slide release for it to not lock back.
    Is this a common problem?
    I had this issue with my Springfield XD9sc, I started putting that thumb on my other thumb, so there's a little gap by the slide lock and I stopped having the issue. I was also having stovepipes sometimes on the last round because of it too. I think since it wasn't chambering a new round, it was coming forward too quick and catching the empty case.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    I've recently changed a lot of things about the way I shoot and have been trying to switch to a "thumbs aligned" grip.
    I've noticed that since doing so, several times when I finish a magazine, the slide does not lock back.
    Evidently my thumb has enough pressure on the slide release for it to not lock back.
    Is this a common problem?
    Thumbs crossed, for this reason. Want to keep my digits away from the controls and slide.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I am with Harryball on this one. To me there is no one grip that works for everything.

Thumbs curled when shooting a revolver and straight when shooting an auto loader.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thumbs crossed on revolvers, thumbs forward on semi-autos.

Is it necessary to note that y'all don't go thumbs aligned on a revolver? I've seen a lot of grievous injuries from a thumb in front of the cylinder. Maybe I'm confused, but does anybody actually go thumbs forward on a revolver. The end of my left thumb is too pretty to lose.

that really put me at a lost . i sat at my desk and tried to vision in my head how i grip my gun. funny thing is i do it without any thought, probably from years of burning ammo. and my granddad and dad were good teachers. ( thax) any how i got my gun went to my downstairs shop, took up shooting stance , and my thumbs were in line. good question to get us thinking.

Thumbs lined up for about the last 10 years. I didn't like it for the longest time but we were encouraged to shoot that way on SRT team. I finally got used to it. It was hard breaking an old habit (thumbs crossed) and it took some work to regain my accuracy. Some of the other guys took to it like a duck to water though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thumbs lined up.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Thumbs lined up... but crossed when using revolvers.

Thumbs aligned. I shoot half my rounds one-handed, though, on the assumption that there won't be enough leisurely time to adopt a comfortable two-handed grip. Nice if it works out that way, but I train against the probability that there's only going to be a second or two left.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Away from me!,Toward the BG!

Thumbs aligned. I reserve the laser beams for very rare occasions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

read this...

My student / friend walked in on a robbery/hostage standoff.. called to say thanks [UPDATE PAGE2] - AR15.COM

the grip i learned and have used since the 90's was the "stacked thumb" this grip you have more grip pressure on the dominant hand, say 60/40
    notice both thumbs are on the frame

the new way, the high thumb higher grip = more leverage to control recoil and more balanced grip pressure and even less, 40/60
    this allows you to relax your dominant trigger hand
    notice back thumb wrapped over top my left hand

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links