Training for firearm retention.

This is a discussion on Training for firearm retention. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder how many civilian training class's include retention drill's. Both in holster, and while the firearm is drawn....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Training for firearm retention.

Training for firearm retention.

I wonder how many civilian training class's include retention drill's. Both in holster, and while the firearm is drawn.

2. Remove Ads

I have had several weapons retention classes but none were for civilians.

excellent point

I have had this training as well, but I talk to it with my girlfriend who has her CCW since it wasn't taught to her. I am looking at follow up training for CCW in my area to come so we will both feel more confident in how to respond in the event. CCW is a huge responsibility that has lasting effects if its every required and responsible citizens should take their training to the next level. The entry course is just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I wonder how many civilian training class's include retention drill's. Both in holster, and while the firearm is drawn.
    If its concealed do you really believe this type of training is worthwhile in the civilian market?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If its concealed do you really believe this type of training is worthwhile in the civilian market?
    I know I'm not Secret Spuk but I certainly do!

I've already been in one gun grab situation and I was concealed. And gun grabs after the firearm is drawn are actually pretty common.. especially in close quarters. I think training in retention is very worthwhile in the civilian market!!

Most training i've seen is all about putting holes in a target and no retention techniques,kinda stupid to hold a gun at full arm extension on a BG 3 feet away,In close quarters I practice shooting from retention,and also preventing a gun snatch ,Massad Ayoob has a video out showing how to retain a weapon,and screw the guys day up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I see no down side to learning something that may save your bacon one day.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

go train with a good SD trainer and he will teach you how to shoot from your hip making a gun grab almost impossible
    if all you know is how to shoot from a weaver type stance you have a lot to learn

I'm not Limatunes

But I agree. Just because your firearm in out of sight dont mean no one knows. I think anyone who carries should consider the subject. Like some other's I learned retention in the police academy. One thing I do know is a retention device on a holster aint gonna make it. Including a level III. I have seen a revolver removed from an officers holster by brute force destroying the holster. Concieled holsters are much easier to defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'm not Limatunes

But I agree. Just because your firearm in out of sight dont mean no one knows. I think anyone who carries should consider the subject. Like some other's I learned retention in the police academy. One thing I do know is a retention device on a holster aint gonna make it. Including a level III. I have seen a revolver removed from an officers holster by brute force destroying the holster. Concieled holsters are much easier to defeat.
    I was just curious to your thinking, I have never had someone try to grab my gun, but I do practice retention...Thanks for answering my question.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

At my last defensive pistol class we didn't cover anything on retention in the holster. We did cover extensively how to carry with a high retention and fight off an attacker in close quarters.

BTW I carry two concealed knives when I leave the house and at work especially. One is specifically designed for close quarter fighting.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Hey Harryball (cool S/N)

As a cop I worked both in and out of uniform. Mostly out of uniform. There is always that chance of a perp during the course of resisting arrest trying to get an officers gun. I've had it happen numerous times.

Knowing what I do about violent criminals I can easily see one attempting to disarm an armed citizen. Maybe in the course of a robbery, or as a means to obtain a firearm. As I say... if one will attempt to disarm an officer... I'm sure they see an armed citizen as a piece of cake (although very often the armed citizen may have more and extensive training than the average police officer) I do wonder if the subject of retention is considered when choosing a holster.

As we've discussed before there are opertunistic criminals, and there are professional criminals. Some of these folks are as adept at spotting concieled firerams as the police. I'd be interested in the thoughts of everyone on this subject.

Senior Moderator
    We had a pretty good gun retention portion in the knife class I took. There were 12 people in the class and over 50% were police officers so it was very applicable to them but just as applicable to us civilians. It was very interesting to see the instructor put his dummy gun in his waistband Mexican style and still be able to retain it from a gun grab using the principles he taught. We did a little retention work from a gun grab if the gun is already out, too. It was very good stuff.

As I stated, I see no down side to anyone who carries a gun learning retention techniques. The techniques may vary from LE to nonsworn due to equipment carried.

We taught various methods of it in unit level training, including deployment of a BUG. I personally see it as attempted murder and any response should be as violent as possible.

I spent most of my time in uniform and only had one serious gun grab. A Kel-Lite quickly ended his efforts.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

If you aren't training gun retention, it must be nice being you...knowing how all your fights are going to go down.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links