Seeking Rifle Training Guidance

This is a discussion on Seeking Rifle Training Guidance within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ALCON: All of my firearms training has pertained to handguns. I have not received any type of rifle instruction and am looking to expand into ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Seeking Rifle Training Guidance

Seeking Rifle Training Guidance

ALCON:

All of my firearms training has pertained to handguns. I have not received any type of rifle instruction and am looking to expand into that area. I understand how to operate the controls on a semi, bolt, lever, or break action rifle, and to break down and clean the firearm from what I learned in Boy Scouts, but otherwise I would consider myself a novice.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I don't want to show up at a Tactical Carbine class and get left in the dust, and don't want to show up at an NRA First Steps class and feel like I've wasted my money. What skill set do you think would be required for a carbine class? Should I start with a First Steps course?

Please advise. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Geographically, where are you located?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Right now, overseas. When in CONUS, I'm looking at options in Northern AL, Middle or Eastern TN, and then Virginia Beach, VA.

As an example, I have taken classes with PRI, Inc and been rather satisfied with their instruction, regarding handguns. With that being said, they also weren't my first class. I was glancing at the course listed in the link below but didn't want to start in over my head.
    www.prifirearmstraining.com

How about something like the NRA Basic Rifle Course? It sounds as though it would review what you already know about rifles, which is always a good idea, plus perhaps add some tidbits of info relating to rifles that you haven't gleaned from your pistol training/experience.

What are your intentions with the rifle? Hunting, target, home defense? The courses you choose after the basic will probably be oriented more toward the guns intended use. But I would take a basic course of some kind, as you admit to being a novice with rifles.

*edit*

Didn't notice your location, hope I didn't offend with my very basic suggestions, perhaps your understanding of firearms is greater than the impression I got from reading your 1st post?
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

No offense at all - I think your understanding is likely accurate. As you noticed, I even commented that I feel like a novice. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving anyone instruction on how to use a rifle and was actually considering a basic rifle course. I just don't want to waste my money if the course is going to cover what I already know. Plus, I am unsure how much the training from the handgun side, such as good trigger control, focusing on the front sight, and such, would relate over into a rifle. I am looking to get into something like 3-gun. I love using my handgun but want to expand my knowledge into other areas.

I'd suggest an Appleseed Event for working on shooting skills. A Ruger 10/22 is the ideal gun to bring, so initial investment and ammo costs are low. The cost is around $80 for two days, and you even get history lessons thrown in for good measure. Check out what's offered in your areas - Project Appleseed Home
    abillb likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd suggest an Appleseed Event for working on shooting skills. A Ruger 10/22 is the ideal gun to bring, so initial investment and ammo costs are low. The cost is around $80 for two days, and you even get history lessons thrown in for good measure. Check out what's offered in your areas - Project Appleseed Home
    Yes, this is a really good suggestion. I don't know of any good fighting carbine type classes in your area, unless you are willing to switch your MOS, then you'll get plenty.

But then again, most of the carbine classes I've seen start out pretty basic and move along based on the groups overall experience level. As long as you select a reputable school and you are honest about your experience level, you should not get lost in the crowd.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links