How Many Incorporate Movement.....

This is a discussion on How Many Incorporate Movement..... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you incorporate movement into your shooting? Getting off the X so to speak. I understand there are those that cannot move and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How Many Incorporate Movement.....

How Many Incorporate Movement.....

How many of you incorporate movement into your shooting? Getting off the X so to speak. I understand there are those that cannot move and shoot due to prohibitive rules where they shoot. But, for those that have the ability to move and shoot, how many actually practice it on a regular basis? It's one thing to have tight shot placement at 3, 5, 7 yards on a stationary target from a stationary stance...However, it's a totally different ball game when you fire two, move left, fire three, move right, fire four, move steadily and fire three...etc etc etc. I'm afraid if one only trains by punching holes in the target, then they are severely limiting their survival potential in a real world scenario. JMO What say the masses???

M. O. V. E. Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

So much so, that I hurt the next two days....Not just a step here and there, dynamic movement.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

All the time 1st sgt, but then again I am in the Army.
    CaptSmith likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't get to train with live fire and movement as often as I would like. Maybe only two or three time a year. What I do is incorporate movement in my dry-fire. It may not be the best, but it is the best I can manage most times.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I agree. For those who are unable to do so at the range they frequent, airsoft can be a valuable aid. With a target set up in a stand in the garage it will allow not only shooting on the move but incorporating drawing and moving simultaneously to ingrain it. I realize that there is a recoil difference but I believe that overall, it is still of significant benefit. In addition, the garage will muffle the sound so as to not trouble the neighbors.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Movement is important just like practicing with a cover garment for concealment. Movement is critical since that's what real world situations dictate. Why I love IPSC. Many here never get the opportunity to get to a range or a club event that allows them to do movement while shooting. Thing is.......most can do exercises at home....dry fire, any scenario. Your imagination rules the game whether it's home security or multiple attackers on the street. Your mind is the best weapon ever devised. Self defense is not a karate class....it's a go with the flow environment. Nothing you could ever learn in a class. Survival is only an education when you've survived....the others have no time left to go to class.
    I've been blessed with opportunities at the local range to do my stuff, and at club sanctioned events. It's those who don't get those opportunities that I'm thinking about. Thing is..there still seem to be rules of engagement. Real life means to survive, and you basically do anything you can to live. None of this will come from money spent on ammo, club dues, practice, etc............. It all comes down to that last stand that most are not prepared for, and taking a life to save their own. No matter how much you move and no matter how many scenarios you go through or practice....it's almost certain that the time of your need won't relate to any of that. That's when your mind needs to step up to the plate and pitch a fast ball. Training is good...training somewhat revolves around certain scenarios. What to expect will come in the last few seconds of your life, and it will have little to do with training and everything to do with you and your disposition about killing. The art of survival starts at home and in the mind way before the body has to move. Anyone interested in self preservation starts there.
    TheGiant likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I do dynamic movement from 3 to 7 yds live fire, dry fire and airsoft. All done while point shooting. I practice GOTX and drawing as one movement. Thinking getting off the X first.

I do very little sighted fire as my eye don't see like they did many years ago. What I do is done from around 10-15 yds and not very well.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I do, but I must admit that the older I get the less movement I'm making.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I do train for DATD. I have a close-up drill which involves blocking their weapon with one hand while moving to the outside and drawing with the other hand, as well as a distance-drill which involves stepping to their outside and drawing. Variations include when I'm alone and when I'm having to control/block family members as well.

I do it when nobody is home (my wife would think I was a loon if she saw me). I use snap caps with an unloaded carry firearm.

Obviously since I'm using an unloaded firearm, accuracy is missing from my equation, but it's a trade-off that allows me to use a daily-carry that I practice with at the range. There are lot of other areas where my method of training lacks as well, but even this simple exercise has dramatically increased my speed/fluidity, and also put some muscle-memory into what were very clumsy movements when I first started doing them. You learn odd little things doing this as well; For me, I have to start to move first. If I start my draw prior to the move, I fixate on my target too early and bog down on the mechanics.

cj
    I do work on it, but probably could do more. I recall seeing a presentation (unfortunately can't recall the site) where the speaker implied that if they could teach police to do one thing in a gun fight, they would dramatically increase survivability. That one thing, of course, was taking a step or so off the x.

While out doors and shooting, I'm all over the place, but at my local indoor range, I pretty much have to stay in my own lane.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I use movement almost every time I'm shooting, except when I have to qualify (God I hate qualifying, such a waste of perfectly good ammo to prove that you're "adequate")
    Also use movemet in dryfire, esp. movement inside tight spaces (rooms, hallways, etc.) that the range just isn't cut out for.
    One of the reasone I moved away from GSSF about a year ago and started shooting IDPA (not perfect, but hey, what shooting sport is).

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I take classes, so that I can practice movement and learn new dynamic techniques - at the indoor ranges I frequent for practice, I'm lucky that they allow me to draw from my holster.

At home, it's airsoft (eagerly awaiting the Tokyo Marui XDm replica!) or dry-fire (I'm thinking about spending money on a LASER-based trainer, but I'm currently holding out for a XD/XDm SIRT-gun): or the infamous half-full water-bottle.

TVJ
    Most all I do is aggressive FoF and training movement, command voice, and the self defense Venn diagram intersection of legal justification, biomechanical tactical ability, and psychological will to act. Under Texas law: Title 2, Chapter 9 and 46.01 for allowable tools.

My operating organizing principle is to neutralize the threat while avoiding getting shot/stabbed/beaten down. Neutralize can mean comply, run away on one side of the spectrum to the immediate and efficient use of lethal tools to go home safe with my loved ones.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Though it's always good to functionalize your training, my approach is the following

80/20 rule. Eighty percent of your success will be based on twenty percent of your training. That means having a gun that is loaded and accessible and not a brick without one in the chamber, locked in your gun safe;
    Last edited by BadgerJ; September 18th, 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links